Is there anything wrong with using the recording compensated outputs?

I contacted this guy. I have everything to do this. Mesa amp, GP-1000, Stratocaster, Suhr(on the way).

If it does not sound like this. I'm pouring gasoline on a pile of shit and burning it all.

My understanding is that these modern load boxes are using DSP modeling of Impulse Responses to get the "sound". It might be cheaper/easier to get a set of impulse responses and use them.
As for "thin" guitar sounds I recommend smaller speakers(they tend to sound woolier than their bigger brethren, say using 10 or even 8" instead of a 12+), smaller amps(15-20 watt with and 8-10" speaker combo), and/or ribbon microphone(IME just about any ribbon will sound darker/thicker than most dynamics and pretty much any condenser).

Then a bit of very short delay and/or phase/flange and presto thick a_ _ guitars>YMMV

GTO, what is really strange. That GP-1000 video, the guy turns the knobs and changes the mid curve. Does his actual sound change that much? I didn't think so. Also look at how low his Masters are! All the way down? Even if the one channel B looks cracked open at 0.1/20 level, how is the sound so strong?

Todd Leon an Online Educator, was helping me for a bit. The last response from him was that he used an IR loader.LeCab or something. GTO, you may be right.

In the GP-1000 video, It looks like his "special sound" is Everything dimed. Distortion and Masters knobs all the way down...

Fuckn crazy! That sounds like shit in my room...
20210719_165839.jpg

Last edited:
If you turn knobs you change the sound for everyone, but it’s how you play that makes Fred smith different from Brian may. You’re so set in your viewpoint I understand why you can’t accept it, but your experiments so far suggest you should.it’s just called technique. It doesn’t even just apply to musical instruments. I have the same saw as my carpenter friend. His joints are perfect. Anyone would know his work from mine. We both use the same tool and same wood, but our fingers (and brain perhaps) are different. I cannot fly a plane. My friend can. Having the same tools never means the same result. I’m amazed you really believe it.

line up Clapton, May and Knopfler and give them the same guitar model. I bet you could tell who was who with your ears.

So Rob, the knobs are irrelevant? His knobs , the Masters are ALL the WAY DOWN! There's NO FUCKING WAY THAT IS HOW TO SOUND BIG AND FULL!

My knobs on my GP-1000 are set just like his. It sounds nothing like that. Unless I crank the power amp, it is extremely quiet.

GTO, what is really strange. That GP-1000 video, the guy turns the knobs and changes the mid curve. Does his actual sound change that much? I didn't think so. Also look at how low his Masters are! All the way down? Even if the one channel B looks cracked open at 0.1/20 level, how is the sound so strong?

Todd Leon an Online Educator, was helping me for a bit. The last response from him was that he used an IR loader.LeCab or something. GTO, you may be right.
You can't hear the tone difference when he adjusts the mid volume (note he hasn't adjusted the mid-point)? If that's the case, you need to correct your monitoring ability or ears, as I can hear the differences with my old ears with tinnitus.

The master volume for the right channel is at 1. The channel volume is at 100%. Are you plugging the output of the GP-1000 into the return loop of the MESA?

Yes, and the knobs go 1-20 in range. The first hash 1 is ZERO.

Yes, his Lee Jackson box should be pretty quiet. Like I said.

Hey Lazer......been following this thread but I have to admit I'm confused about your signal path and amps and speakers. If that's your photo are you running into a stereo PA system? Anyway.....do a quick list of your signal path if you can. Also....what guitar are you using most? Have you changed the pups?

Mick

Thanks. Sure.

Stratocaster-GP1000-mesa 20/20-1x12 celestion green back 12" 20 watt 8 ohm. Pickups are Seymour Duncan, the Hot Rails set.

No, not this time. No PA used here.

His Mesa is the dual Recto, but that is a Dyna 50/50 power section with 6v6's. I will not attribute any sound benefit from that power amp over my mesa dyna 20/20.

Notice in the GP-1000 youtube video, how no matter how he turns the knobs the sound is still pretty useable.

Thanks. Sure.

Stratocaster-GP1000-mesa 20/20-1x12 celestion green back 12" 20 watt 8 ohm. Pickups are Seymour Duncan, the Hot Rails set.

No, not this time. No PA used here.

His Mesa is the dual Recto, but that is a Dyna 50/50 power section with 6v6's. I will not attribute any sound benefit from that power amp over my mesa dyna 20/20.

Notice in the GP-1000 youtube video, how no matter how he turns the knobs the sound is still pretty useable.
Yeah.....with that setup you should be able to get pretty much near any sound (short of a Ric 325 and a Vox AC30) you want.
The issue about technique does have some validity.....but can't account for wide tonal differences with identical setups. Some.....for sure......pick thickness....approach......fingering....etc...etc. In my own experience.....I do know that as I got better over the years at playing.....I got better at emulating the tones I liked.

But you have always said that your tone is thin and lacks power.....I think. Your room might really be killing you.....as you mic your amps. By the way...what mics do you use? Do you have friends that play by any chance? Have them come and play in your space and see what happens.

Your dilemma is a bit baffling.

2 cents worth of no help at all.........I know.

Mick

Your room might really be killing you.....as you mic your amps.
By the way...what mics do you use?
Yes, I never tried the VSTs and models. Scratched the surface of it. No time.

Microphones.
Beyer M160 ribbon
Beyer M88
Shure SM58
Senn MD421
AKG P420 LDC
Do you have friends that play by any chance?
Yes, but due to life choices and sides taken, it is hard to re-establish meaningful conversation. One friend, who I recorded with in the studio , has recorded several Gaelic albums. He does NOT record it himself, he never could figure it out. Same with others. Varying degrees of success in home recording. Usually they just press record and sing in front of a camera with external mic for the internet.

Last edited:
Thomas, the lead singer for Babylon. The reverb work is amazing if you liked that thing. The Engineer they had, knew what he was doing.

Last edited:
GP-1000 with that dudes settings. Stratocaster on neck pickup. -8db levels. SM58. Dry/raw. Playing that annoying riff he plays..

20210720_191158.jpg

Yall think he is lying?

Yall think I'm lying?

what's the score?

There's nothing wrong with the tone you are getting in that clip, if that's the type of sound you are looking for.
You're being kind. To play a lick with hammers and pull off would sound weak.

I notice a lot of push/pulls on the GP, possibly they are set differently?
I doubt it.

Looks like the Reactive Load arrives today. If it does I will make a comparison clip later this evening. We'll see if this is a bunch a horse puckey or if it improves the sound. On 3:30-11:30AM shift. I am looking forward to some results.

Last edited:
No, that is not what Im saying. That would be different articulations. The sound would be like a preset. You can change presets to change the sound. Change articulations to change the material. You need to learn to separate the two.

When I played his riff, I played it with an 'A' chord. He did it with a B...There are obvious differences in played material. The sound should be much similar.

Lazer - You can't have it both ways. You mentioned hammer downs and pull offs - these are extremely player specific techniques and it's these techniques that become part of the sound - which the processing and amplification then modfiy differently. The mutes and the deadening of fundamentals and increases in harmonics from how you fret, press and wobble get worked on and make 'your' sound. Even silly things like how hard and loud you play. The careful knob setting works because your levels fit these settings. If you p[lay the same thing quieter, or with a lighter pick those settings don't work. My band supported status quo years back - and I tried to play Rick Parfitt's guitar. I couldn't even play the chords let alone sound like him, and I really tried. His guitar tech told me I was tickling it. I thought I was playing hard. His guitar, his settings. My fingers - rubbish!

Back