Question about Roland Space Echo RE-20

gene12586

In the past for reverb I typically just used the reverb on my amplifier (Fender Deluxe Reverb), but recently I got a Roland Space Echo RE-20 to try some reverb with that. And the sound I'm getting from it makes me throughly confused... The following applies regardless of whether I have any of the delay/echo functions on, but for the sake of simplicity let's just say I have all of the delay/echo functions turned off (i.e., repeat rate, intensity, and echo volume are all set to 0 and the mode selector is set to reverb only). Now it doesn't matter how I vary any of the other knobs left on (i.e., bass, treble, reverb volume, input volume), the sound I get is like my guitar is 50 feet under water (not really a volume issue - it just sounds like my amp is trapped deep under water or something - murky and deep and vague are words that come to mind - that's the best way I can describe it) -- I think added warmth is part of this, though that's not coming close to it (and so I tried for example to turn the bass all the way down and treble all the way up on the Space Echo but not much changes). Anyone else experience this issue or know what's going on? There's no way this is how the pedal is supposed to sound. I've listened to how it sounds in numerous video online - and while I'm sure you can get it to sound like mine is sounding with the right combination of settings, mine is sounding like that no matter what the settings are. I'm thinking maybe I got a defective one. But I thought I'd ask first before exchanging it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back