DAW Users With ADD

And if the Jets do ever make the Superbowl, I, for one, will be rooting for them.

And with Q that will be two...:laughings:

BTW, here is my belated-Christmas, Superbowl-victory present to myself this year (in natural).

PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Are you kidding?:confused:Looks like a nice guitar,I'm wondering how you came about to that one.
What are you going to play it through?
What do you need an electric for?

No new toys for me this year,so far;).I've got to get my son a new trombone,$$$$,there goes daddy's toy money.It'll be the most expensive instrument in the house.:eek:

LATER!!!

Are you kidding?:confused:Looks like a nice guitar,I'm wondering how you came about to that one.
I don't know that I can answer that. I'm sort of wondering myself. :rolleyes:

In the price range I was looking it was mostly Epi's, Ibanez's, Fender Squires, etc. This one just caught me as a notch above the others.

What are you going to play it through?
When the band rehearses we run everything through our PA system - electronic drums, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals, etc. - and we monitor via headphones (although we also have monitor speakers we can use). We do this mainly because of the noise issues involved living in a townhouse. Although I'll probably practice with it dry, I have the PA available if needed (or when trying to dial in some tones). Maybe down the road I'll grab a small practice amp - but I can get away without one for now.

What do you need an electric for?
Need is not the operative word. :D

I guess it's for the same reason you needed a ukelele. However, we do several songs that would be better served with an electric. Plus, now that I'm retired and have some time, I want to start learning to play some more leads. I've been playing for 50 years, so it's about time anyway. :)

Obviously having a new toy will also (I hope) cause me to practice more than I currently do.

Get yourself some kind of box,amp simulator or whatever and plug into that before the PA.
This is the cheapest thing I know of,it's a rip off of a Tech21 pedal....

Behringer GDI21 Guitar Amp Modeler/Direct Recording Preamp/DI Box at AmericanMusical.com

other than that the sky is the limit.You can play leads clean,but trust me on this,it's one fuck of a lot cooler with the screaming amp simulation with delay and verb.:guitar::cool:

Plugging straight into a PA works for acoustics,but you're going to be lacking any beef to your tone.

Get yourself some kind of box,amp simulator or whatever and plug into that before the PA.
This is the cheapest thing I know of,it's a rip off of a Tech21 pedal....

Behringer GDI21 Guitar Amp Modeler/Direct Recording Preamp/DI Box at AmericanMusical.com

other than that the sky is the limit.You can play leads clean,but trust me on this,it's one fuck of a lot cooler with the screaming amp simulation with delay and verb.:guitar::cool:

Plugging straight into a PA works for acoustics,but you're going to be lacking any beef to your tone.
Actually I ordered this along with the guitar:
DigiTech DBM Bad Monkey Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Plus I also have reverb, delay, and chorus available from a rack effects unit we have tied into the PA system. We actually have two rack effects units we use - a low-end Lexicon that we use strictly for reverb on the vocals and the guitar. The other unit is only used for the guitar, and currently I use it for some light chorus. However, it can also be used to get a delay, flange, and several other effects, and combos of effects. I tend however to be a set-it-and-forget-it kind of guy., so I'll find something I like and leave it there. The DigiTech Bad Monkey will most likely be the only thing I find myself toggling.

The Digitech was cheap enough, and got pretty good reviews. Plus I like the fact that it had a specific outlets for mixer or amp (although, to be honest, I'm not sure what the difference would be. AFAIK, both take a line level signal.) However, it's returnable if I don't like it, and the Behringer looks interesting for $40.

Actually I ordered this along with the guitar:
DigiTech DBM Bad Monkey Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Plus I also have reverb, delay, and chorus available from a rack effects unit we have tied into the PA system. We actually have two rack effects units we use - a low-end Lexicon that we use strictly for reverb on the vocals and the guitar. The other unit is only used for the guitar, and currently I use it for some light chorus. However, it can also be used to get a delay, flange, and several other effects, and combos of effects. I tend however to be a set-it-and-forget-it kind of guy., so I'll find something I like and leave it there. The DigiTech Bad Monkey will most likely be the only thing I find myself toggling.

The Digitech was cheap enough, and got pretty good reviews. Plus I like the fact that it had a specific outlets for mixer or amp (although, to be honest, I'm not sure what the difference would be. AFAIK, both take a line level signal.) However, it's returnable if I don't like it, and the Behringer looks interesting for $40.
That pedal has been around for a long time in different forms.
An overdrive is generally in front of an amp to kick it up a notch or make it break up a bit,that one has a speaker emulated output.Try it and see if it suits you,if not you may want something with a little more variety tone wise.

That pedal has been around for a long time in different forms.
An overdrive is generally in front of an amp to kick it up a notch or make it break up a bit,that one has a speaker emulated output.Try it and see if it suits you,if not you may want something with a little more variety tone wise.

I'll let you know how it works out.

The guitar player we used to work with played a Mexican strat through this pedal and into our PA.
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer Effects Pedal: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

If I recall, he also used a chorus pedal (I don't recall the make/model) and we gave him some reverb from our effects unit. In the end, he had a pretty nice sound going on.

Well... except for the hum from the strat's single coil pickups. :)

Well... except for the hum from the strat's single coil pickups. :)
There are solutions to that,some pretty simple.Your humbuckers are going to sound a lot different.Both types bring something to the table,that's why I like coil tapped pickups.
This is the pickup that I find interesting....
P-Rails SHPR-1 - Seymour Duncan Medium Output

with the proper switching you get singlecoil,humbucker and P-90 pickups.:guitar:

The weather
It's the warmest winter EHVAH!:eek:
Not that I'm complaining.

LATER!!!

There are solutions to that,some pretty simple.Your humbuckers are going to sound a lot different.Both types bring something to the table,that's why I like coil tapped pickups.
This is the pickup that I find interesting....
P-Rails SHPR-1 - Seymour Duncan Medium Output

with the proper switching you get singlecoil,humbucker and P-90 pickups.:guitar:

Yeah, I've read quite a few posts from guys doing pickup mods to their guitars. But you're getting a little ahead of me. This is the first electric I've owned since the 70's. I'd like to at least play with it for a week before I start modding it. :)

Deliver is Friday, btw. :D

Plus the price went down another 5% today. I told them they should honor that for my order... and they did. :eek:

Mike, very nice; I'm jealous. :)In fact I'm jealous of having the time to play any guitar right now:cursing:

Just been down to Dubai for the week and our moving date is now 12th March so its full steam ahead at home ready for the move. That and my eldest daughters wedding arrangements (its good to be in Dubai sometimes).

But just so you know I still retain a modicum of perspective, here's a photo update of my studio:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99314602@N00/sets/72157628681739957/with/6620588151/

22Degrees here so I'm not sure how much I'll get done to the studio this weekend.

Mike, very nice; I'm jealous. :)In fact I'm jealous of having the time to play any guitar right now:cursing:
Well, it showed up yesterday... and it's going back today. It has a bad intonation problem on the G string. You tune the open G, and the A note on that string is quite a bit off. And of course if you tune the A note, then the open G is off. Badly enough that when the G note is in tune, an open D chord sounds quite sour.

Also, the guitar appears to have been used. The pick guard was scratched up quite a bit. I probably would have lived with that, were it not for the intonation issue, although I would have been a bit miffed.

I guess that's the downside of going the mail order route. So far the company has been very cooperative. They sent me a shipping label to return it at their expense, and will send a replacement once it gets back - but it's still a bit of a pita to deal with.

On the plus side, I loved the tone of the guitar. Very sweet, with great sustain - even without a pedal.

But just so you know I still retain a modicum of perspective, here's a photo update of my studio:

Stablegate Studio Construction : un album sur Flickr
Outdoor lights. French doors. It's nicer than my house. :( If it had running water, I might move in. :)

Speaking of move, good luck with the move to Dubai. I'll be interested to get your perspective of living in a foreign country. Pretty exciting - although I'm not sure I could do it. Then again, who would ever want to leave Jersey anyway. :D :D

Well, it showed up yesterday... and it's going back today. It has a bad intonation problem on the G string. You tune the open G, and the A note on that string is quite a bit off. And of course if you tune the A note, then the open G is off. Badly enough that when the G note is in tune, an open D chord sounds quite sour.

Also, the guitar appears to have been used. The pick guard was scratched up quite a bit. I probably would have lived with that, were it not for the intonation issue, although I would have been a bit miffed.

I guess that's the downside of going the mail order route. So far the company has been very cooperative. They sent me a shipping label to return it at their expense, and will send a replacement once it gets back - but it's still a bit of a pita to deal with.

On the plus side, I loved the tone of the guitar. Very sweet, with great sustain - even without a pedal.

There's always the option if you really like the guitar of taking it to a tech for set up and seeing if MF will give you partial comp.After proper set up the guitar may play better than it already does.

It's my belief that you don't have to give up on an electric as fast as you would an acoustic,they have much more wiggle room for adjustments and modifications.Of course I have bought guitars online knowing full well I would probably be doing something to them.:rolleyes:

There's always the option if you really like the guitar of taking it to a tech for set up and seeing if MF will give you partial comp.After proper set up the guitar may play better than it already does.
Too late. It's already on the way back. I dropped it off at the UPS Store this morning. However, I doubt it could have been fixed. This guitar uses essentially a fixed bridge. You intonate the low and high E strings, and the rest are supposed to just fall in line - there are no adjustments for them.

When I discovered the problem right out of the box, I first though maybe it just needs to warm up. It had been on a truck for the past 4 days. When that didn't work, I followed the mfgs instructions for setting the intonation. And still no joy. Admittedly I don't have the experience or expertise of a guitar tech, but it's really not that difficult - just two allen screws and an electronic tuner. PRS even supplies the allen wrench. :)

I'm not even sure what could cause this. I mean the A note is only two frets up the scale from the G, and it was sharp by at least 25 cents from the G.

We'll see how the new one performs. If it has a similar problem, I not sure what I'll do. They offer a 45-day, no-questions-asked return policy. So I might just end up sending it back and going to a brick and mortar store so I know what I've got before I walk out the door. Hopefully it won't come to that.

NY Giants - Superbowl Champs!!!!!

Mr. Q, you called it. You sensed the greatness right from the start.

Acidrock, any final thoughts about 9-7 teams?? You should know from last year, it's the team who gets hot at the right time. Great game, and another great catch to pull out the victory.

Dachay is happy. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Congratulations Mike on the Giants win! Did you celebrate by having a warm milky bedtime drink? (I heard most old people do that:)) I wish my soccer team would win something.:o

And bad luck with the guitar. Did you try the harmonic test at the 12th fret?

Thanks for the comments on the studio. At the weekend it was so cold here and whilst working in there with all the insulation, double-glazed gas filled doors and windows a mere 2kw heater was sufficient to really heat it up and then the thermostat switched it off for pretty long periods or until I opened the door briefly to go out/come back in.:)

And bad luck with the guitar. Did you try the harmonic test at the 12th fret?
Yeah, that's how you set the intonation on this guitar. There are two allen screws at either end of the bridge. You tune the first string open and at the 12th harmonic by adjusting the appropriate allen screw, and then you do the same thing on the sixth string with the other allen screw, and then go back and double check the first string. Once this is done, the other strings are supposed to be in tune. There are no adjustments for them.

For the most part, the only really out-of-tune note I could detect was the 2nd fret on the G string (A note). I have no idea what would cause that, but it's a pretty critical note for a whole bunch of open chords. :(

It'll be OK so long as the replacement doesn't have the same problem. I went to a local Guitar Center yesterday to see if I could play one off the rack and see how that behaved - but they didn't have any of that model.

Acidrock, any final thoughts about 9-7 teams?? You should know from last year, it's the team who gets hot at the right time. Great game, and another great catch to pull out the victory.

Enjoy!:)

Congratulations:cool:,it was a close game,I'm not sure how it will rate in the all time Superbowls,I think 2007 was bigger.I'm really looking forward to the first 8-8 SB champ:rolleyes:,at least you guys won your division.I think Eli just got himself into the HOF,best Giants QB ever?

Later!!!

Congratulations:cool:,it was a close game,I'm not sure how it will rate in the all time Superbowls,I think 2007 was bigger.I'm really looking forward to the first 8-8 SB champ:rolleyes:,at least you guys won your division.I think Eli just got himself into the HOF,best Giants QB ever?
2007 was probably bigger because the Giants' win was totally unexpected (they were like 14 point dogs), AND they beat an 18-0 undefeated team. However, the games were very similar with the Giants winning on a late drive, but still giving Brady back the ball with one more shot. I also thought Brady played better in this one - the safety and interception notwithstanding.

As for Eli, this was without a doubt his best year ever. And two rings gets him consideration for best Giants QB ever - not that there's a lot of hard competition. I was never a big Simms fan. He was a solid, no-mistake guy, but not a great QB imo. Charley Connelly was a bit before my time, so I can't really speak to him. And I was still pretty young when YA Tittle played for them. Plus Tittle only played his last 4 years with the Giants. He was really more a 49er. Tarkenton played for them too, but late in his career and on pretty bad teams, if I recall.

So maybe yeah, Eli gets the nod. Not too sure about the HOF - although as of now he has more rings than his brother, and his brother is certainly headed to Canton. Eli, however, is 5 years younger. So put another 5 good years on his resume, and I would imagine he gets in.

The other open question is how good are the Giants receivers. This could be the best corp in my memory. Although a fair question is, is Eli making them look good, or are they making Eli look good? Bottom line for me... I don't care. :)

Back