Behringer and the hits keep coming...

What do you think about Behringer products?

• Great quality and value for money!

Votes: 354 41.6%
  • Cheap but sometimes dodgy! I wouldn't buy core equipment from them. Not reliable enough.

Votes: 276 32.5%
  • Awful. Cheapness is no substitute for quality!

Votes: 102 12.0%
  • I dont give a crap, I dont have any.

Votes: 118 13.9%

• Total voters
Behringer HA4700 Headphone Amp Repair

Having had more than one Behringer unit cross my repair bench

I have a HA-4700 with intermittent sound on 3 of its 4 headphone outputs. I would like to attempt repairing it myself, as I am handy with a soldering iron and have actually managed to repair several of my malfunctioning FX proc units and tone modules this way. My question is, when you have this type of problem with the HA4700, where do I need to be looking in order to find the problem and fix it? Please advise. As much info as can be provided would be very much appreciated.

I just sold my Behringer UB1832 mixer after 7 years of faithful service. Still looks, and performs like new. Only reason I sold it is that I came across a Mackie 24.8 board in like new condition for $500. I still swear that Behringer has it's place, and although they clearly make some crap (just as any company does) they also make some very reliable, and good sounding equipment for the price range.

A song I recorded on the 1832 can be heard at:

http://www.myspace.com/353210979

I think Behringer are ok to use if there is absolutely no way you can wait a few weeks or whatever to get something more decent. I actually think for the price they do the job nicely. Behringer does what it says on the tin.

It's just entry level stuff.

Im sure, there are certain other companies that offer gear of a better quality and at a similar price. However, I am sure most beginners don't know where to find these and when they search for something in their price range; generally Behringer pops up time and time again and so they purchase the Behringer rather than looking deeper.

I own a lot of Behringer gear and have only had one interaction with their product services. A faulty mic which I had bought for a friend. They did everything but drive up to his home with the new one.
I told this story to a Berry Rep and he laughed. "You know" he says "I have a piece of gear in my trunk that I'm about to drop off at the client's home".
Turns out that it was replacement gear due to be sent over from the mainland. The rep simply checked the warehouse before he hopped on the ferry and brought the gear with him. Saved the client a few days waiting.
They have my loyalty. (and a lot of my money)

I have a couple pieces

I have the T1953 tube pre-amp. Starved plate design but it was okay with a swap of the tubes. There is a subtle but noticeable coloration going on. Not too bad really. I've heard replacing the op-amps makes a big difference. I may try that one of these days. It's still in my rack and I daisy chain Output 1 to Input 2 and then out to my Ultra Q pro parametric EQ to a compressor to my MOTU 896 mkIII. That's one of my signal chains. This was my second preamp and worlds better than the Bellari MP105 pile I bought before. It just sounds dirty and almost as if somebody at the factory dipped the insides in mud, let 'em dry and then assembled it all together.

I also have a UB2442FX mixer. Channel 2 went out maybe 6 months after I bought it. I haven't bothered to get it fixed but it was okay in operation. I was mainly interested in the 8 direct outs. For the price it was decent.

I think the DDX 3216 digital mixer is above average...for Behringer but I've never used one. Just from what I've read it sounds like a decent value.

All in all I'd say pass on Behringer gear in the preamp/compressor/EQ and effect unit area. Save up for something with a little higher quality and better reliability of construction.

Like the old saying goes: you get what you pay for.

I'm assuming that you're not using the mixer to plug the mic into in order to record it? ;) You're only using it for routing monitoring signals? ;) ;)

Me too! ;)

"I got some Mackie stuff and MOTU interfaces and I was chuffed that they sent them on so quickly."

They couldn't wait to get that junk out the door! :D

I'm not gonna write Thomann off just yet (maybe tomorrow evening!) but I dont think I'll be buying from them again anytime soon. I seemed to be under the impression that if I bought something new it would work! Its a hard lesson but it could be worse.
Don't drop the dealer, drop the company line. Behringer is too spotty, quality wise. Buy better stuff...once bitten, twice shy.

I have a few Behringer items - probably half of my stuff is Behringer. Great bang for the buck, and generally good quality overall. No reliability issues. Can't comment on customer service, as I've never had to pursue it, but I KNOW that if I take it back to the store I bought it from, THEIR customer service is excellent.

This, ladies & gentlemen....is one of the luckiest people on the face of the planet!
Can I rub your head, Chris?
;)

I bought a Behringer 2-channel compressor 10 years ago. $129.00
It worked, but every time it engaged, it added a distorted trailing tone. Kind of like a distorted guitar in the decay. Couldn't get the distortion to stop.
Didn't call Behringer, didn't call Musician's Friend...but you can bet I haven't EVER bought their stuff since then.
I have several friends that have had units shipped non-working or quickly broke down.
Some have had luck with returns, others have had good experiences with customer support.
Bottom Line?
An old broadcaster at a TV station once told me (as I gazed at a Tascam brochure)
"That's good stuff!" (meaning Tascam products)
I asked why.
He said, "Because it don't break down!"

I've always remembered that and use it as a barometer to measure a company's products quality level.
Behringer = No Sale

I have the UB 1832 mixer, a 2 channel preamp and a wah-wah pedal. Thus far, I've been happy. I use the stuff for home recording. Sometimes the preamps on the mixer and the actual preamp can be noisy. That seems to depend on what I'm recording into so I don't think it's the Behringer gear. I like 'em, some hate 'em. It's all much of a muchness. I don't believe there's any brand for which there is a universal or majority thumbs down.

I bought a Berri B5 SDC from a music shop off eBay in November 'cause I wanted to have a partner to one that I already had that always worked and sounded just fine. I chose this particular retailer because it was down at the lowest price end and offered free postage. When it arrived I wasn't going to use if for a while so I just ditched the documentation and the packaging, checked that all the bits were there and put it away without thinking about it.

A month later when I go to use it, I spin off the omni capsule that was on it and try to mount the cardiod capsule. Which won't. Upon closer inspection, I see that the capsule is damaged - slightly crushed. A real close inspection suggests that the mike they have sent me isn't actually new or has been a shop demonstrator and has been dropped with the cardiod capsule on, has had it removed and the omni mounted then put back in the box. The omni worked fine.

The music shop is closed for the summer break and won't be open for another week so I go to Behringer Aus direct and tell them the problem. They email back one of their warranty forms, get me to fill it out and tell me to expect a call from a courier company who will pick it up.

Two days later the courier calls and collects the mike, in the box but sans packaging and manuals. Two days later the new replacement arrives and is fine. Inspection reveals that they ship new with the cardiod capsule on, not the omni. The faulty one arrived the other way round which makes me totally suspicious that the music shop was at fault not Behringer or the post.

Given that it was over a month since I'd originally got the mike and it was obviously shock damage not manufacturing damage, they could've easily said no, that it was something I had done myself in the month that I'd already had it and there wouldn't have been much that I could do about it.

But they didn't.

So I have no complaints about how Behringer handled this nor with the performance of these little SDC's. It has cost me nothing but a little time. Which is not how I feel about the retailer who shipped the faulty one to me.

Comparison reveals that they sound just as good as but are a lot hotter and quieter than my older Shure 849's (SM94 precursors).

Behringer makes the BEST MIXERS of any gear manufacturer are there!

Behringer's line of processors,pre's and dsp/efx units far surpasses the present slop that's out there now!!

Behringer's customer service are 2nd to none!

Behringer uses original designs and incorporates the most advanced electronics in all thier products.

Many Co's have copied Behringer's outstanding craftsmanship.

Behringer can't be beat!

I luv crack-cocaine.

MISTERQCUE,

Now that is funny! :laughings:

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Originally Posted by MISTERQCUE
"Behringer makes the BEST MIXERS of any gear manufacturer are there!

Behringer's line of processors,pre's and dsp/efx units far surpasses the present slop that's out there now!!

Behringer's customer service are 2nd to none!

Behringer uses original designs and incorporates the most advanced electronics in all thier products.

Many Co's have copied Behringer's outstanding craftsmanship.

Behringer can't be beat!

I luv crack-cocaine."

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Just because I got tired of the stupid "I luv crack-cocaine ... Cocaine's a hell of a drug" coming up every time I click New Posts

I have three Behringer mixers, a headphone amp, 2 active PA speakers, a BCF2000, and a patch panel.

Oldest piece of gear (a mixer) is 10 years old; newest (BCF2000) is three years old.

Every piece of gear has done the job I wanted it to, and I've never had any problem with any of it.

And frankly, I get really tired of people bashing Behringer gear, especially those people who've never owned any of it...

What Mixers Do I Have?

Eurorack MX802A - About 10 years old and still going strong.

Eurorack UB2442FX-PRO - In constant use for 2-1/2 years.

Xenyx 1204FX - Had it for two years. It's been "on the shelf" for the last four months but will be bringing it back on line this weekend during my "monthly studio reconfiguration"

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't had any problems at all with any of my Behringer gear...

Back