Behringer and the hits keep coming...

What do you think about Behringer products?

• Great quality and value for money!

Votes: 354 41.6%
  • Cheap but sometimes dodgy! I wouldn't buy core equipment from them. Not reliable enough.

Votes: 276 32.5%
  • Awful. Cheapness is no substitute for quality!

Votes: 102 12.0%
  • I dont give a crap, I dont have any.

Votes: 118 13.9%

• Total voters
Like any two pieces of gear, until you hear them side by side and use them in tandem for a length of time, comparing one to the other is simply hot air up the chute. While I can appreciate cheap functionality as well as anyone else, saying that a basically disposable piece of gear is 'superior' in any way to something else is ludicrous. I have a couple of pieces of kit by the B word and they are quite adequate for their purpose. I have a bunch of experience mixing on provided boards and consoles for various projects, live shows, and remix repairs, and have never found these things to have nearly enough headroom or tonal control whatsoever. A couple of incidents where the sub-groups didnt work, one had a clattering noise, more than a couple had crosstalk so bad that turning up or down a channel got the one next to it to go up and down also. Another had an old beat Euro-desk (I give it credit for still passing signal after what it went through) that the tone controls in half the board worked and the other half were simply knobs without function. A good engineer can work around this stuff but my point is why has it all been 'B' products???? But, as has been said, this IS Homerecording and I personally have no problems with anyone who gets pleasure and achieves their goal of recording their music through whatever means it takes to get that done. Thats what we all strive for and kudos to those that can and do!

Budget contraints certainly do create opportunities for manufacturers to use up the vast supply of sub-quality electric components and parts, assemble them into pirated PC layouts, put lots of seemingly functional features in a piece of kit and call it wonderful. Its easy to sell that to people who have that yearning itch. Recording is a need and the deeper in you get the more you want to do it.

And one thing that becomes clearer every year I'm in this, the fervor of ones opinions and the juice for proving ones quality of judgement in purchasing things to enable this recording habit have not diminished even a bit.

Real comparisons can only be made in real time and in a real situation. But I'll guarantee that putting a tried and true 'B' product next to something with real build quality and design will cause the inevitable headslap...."Now I see....." It wont take long either.

I worked at a company which had like ten small Behringer mixers, older eight channel Euroracks without effects. We used them for presentations, connecting mics and laptops to them, so no need for superb audio quality. Never had any problems with them. Behringer has its uses.

I once bought a Behringer EQ stompbox for guitar, shouldn't have done that...

I wouldn't normally support thread necromancy but this topic popped up on my "New Posts" list (probably because somebody just voted) and it got me to thinking...

I wonder if, ten years ago when this topic was started, people would have believed that in 2012/13 Behringer would own Midas and Klark-Technik and have a mixer as popular as the x32 in their catalogue.

How times change!

I always remind myself that my first Behringer product The original Composer compressor, cost me $800, it was made in Germany and was one of the first products they made (they did not even sell through shops back then they had an agent). It is still working and still sounds good, in fact I have 2 original composers.

Alan.

I wouldn't normally support thread necromancy but this topic popped up on my "New Posts" list (probably because somebody just voted) and it got me to thinking...

I wonder if, ten years ago when this topic was started, people would have believed that in 2012/13 Behringer would own Midas and Klark-Technik and have a mixer as popular as the x32 in their catalogue.

How times change!

I know! I have two of the X32's and they have been real champs. ;)

I always remind myself that my first Behringer product The original Composer compressor, cost me $800, it was made in Germany and was one of the first products they made (they did not even sell through shops back then they had an agent). It is still working and still sounds good, in fact I have 2 original composers.

Alan.

Those compressors are highly sot after now. They rank right up there with Drawmer.

I picked up a Behr GX212 last year as a practice amp so I didn't have to keep moving my regular amp back and forth to band practice. Didnt' need anything fancy, just volume mostly for keys and acoustic, and I used stomp boxes when I wanted to get half-decent electric guitar sound.
Paid $150 used from GC, found a 2-button control pedal for $15. Sold it for $180 cash a couple of months ago (band broke up, so I didn't need it any more). YAY Behringer! ;)

Back