How much money do you have invested in your studio?

How much money do you have invested in your project studio?

• Total voters
4 years ago--I had one guitar, one mic and a laptop. Today? 15 guitars, 60 mics, and well...tons of other stuff I couldn't have even understood! And I'm 41--I might just catch up with you in 14 years! :D

Someone has a good day job, huh?

For whatever reason, tonight I decided to give it a listen and I'm patting myself on the back because it's pretty damn good. :D

you should put up a track or two,please. i'd like two hear it!

oh yea, and i just got a stylophone, its so neat!

and my friend in kuwait, whois kuwatian royalty, sent me an Oud for my birthday which is in a few days and it came today. supposedly its a sin to listen to it, and especially because im jewish. it sounds so mystical that its scary. it sounds plugged in, but its not. im writing these songs about demon flowers and toxic seeds growing in me now. mountains replacing my bones, mirrored eyes,gods that float around in space, and lighting is actually an intelligent inter-dimensional creature we djust dont undetrstand.

Someone has a good day job, huh?

We all joke about how our wives would drop dead if they knew how much we spent, and while that's also true in my case, I gotta give credit where credit is due. My wife and I both have "good day jobs" (hers is even better than mine, but I covered the fort while she went to law school) and I couldn't do it alone.

Yeah, I can afford to go off the deep end a bit, but if it were just my income that wouldn't be the case.

I just wish she'd get an expensive hobby--then I'd feel less guilty! :D

you should put up a track or two,please. i'd like two hear it!

Three tracks can be heard on my website. One, "Not Even Rand-McNally," plays automatically when you go to the first page of the site. Two others, "Melted Toys" and "Eddie's Car" are available on the MP3 page. There's also a rough demo version of a song I wrote in response to the government's Katrina inaction called "Dry Ground."

Three tracks can be heard on my website. One, "Not Even Rand-McNally," plays automatically when you go to the first page of the site. Two others, "Melted Toys" and "Eddie's Car" are available on the MP3 page. There's also a rough demo version of a song I wrote in response to the government's Katrina inaction called "Dry Ground."

Sorry for being off topic, but I really like Eddie's Car. I heard it a while back and it sticks with me--I'll have go have another listen.

We all joke about how our wives would drop dead if they knew how much we spent, and while that's also true in my case, I gotta give credit where credit is due. My wife and I both have "good day jobs" (hers is even better than mine, but I covered the fort while she went to law school) and I couldn't do it alone.

Yeah, I can afford to go off the deep end a bit, but if it were just my income that wouldn't be the case.

I just wish she'd get an expensive hobby--then I'd feel less guilty! :D

No wife here and no kids (more money for me), but I'm a high school teacher in a part of the country that actually pays teachers a decent wage so I can afford some of these toys. Even after I retire I should be able to do okay. I should be in 6 figures between my pension and SS when that kicks in. :D

Sorry for being off topic, but I really like Eddie's Car. I heard it a while back and it sticks with me--I'll have go have another listen.

Thanks. It's still the song I'm most proud of. I should've thrown a cd in the box with the VoicePrism. I'll send a copy out to you one of these days so you can give it a listen.

im going to listen the songs now while i sleep. i used to want to teach before i lost it all.

back to the topic you know you can spend so much on these machines but the most beautiful things and the best things are all in our mind. thats priceless.i just wrote this in my orange and black notebook

my hearts a sad planet, and wind blows through it, through the rock of my bone, to melt the heat of my mind, the mountains in the sea, rise above the deep, shatter my eye's mirrors, and see whats in my brain

I don't even feel that I've got much going on in my studio, but when I add in what I've spent on the instruments and all the accessories, it quickly got me to right around $14,350!! Not much in comparison to a lot of you guys, but not bad for someone still under 30 who has never made more than $25k a year. :)

im going to listen the songs now while i sleep. i used to want to teach before i lost it all.

back to the topic you know you can spend so much on these machines but the most beautiful things and the best things are all in our mind. thats priceless.i just wrote this in my orange and black notebook

my hearts a sad planet, and wind blows through it, through the rock of my bone, to melt the heat of my mind, the mountains in the sea, rise above the deep, shatter my eye's mirrors, and see whats in my brain

Nighty night...

Holy jesus. I just did a quick talley and I've got near $7000 invested, most of which was my own money (except for a little over $2000 contributed for instruments). That's a lot more than a college student like myself should be spending... ugh.

Nice tracks. :) I really enjoyed Eddie's Car. What mic and pre did you use for that track? Which converter did you use? Keep it up.:D

Nice tracks. :) I really enjoyed Eddie's Car. What mic and pre did you use for that track? Which converter did you use? Keep it up.:D

Much thanks Monkie. I appreciate the compliment. I think that was recorded with an AT-4047 going into a Yamaha O1v board. It was done back in 2001 so it's hard to remember.

For my new cd, the guitar signal chain is a pair of ADK A6 mics going into a Hardy M1. Actually, that's what I'm using for just the close-mic fingerpicking stuff. The A6 is an LDC but it's really nice for more delicate acoustic guitar work.

I'm not sure about the faster, strummed stuff. I'll have to play around with some mic combinations for that although I've recorded some good tracks for other people using a spread combination of an Earthworks SR30 and an AKG C451B. Decisions, decisions. :confused:

Well, it depends what you include - does acoustic treatment count? What about instruments?

If we're counting just recording gear, I've got somewhere between $250,000 - $300,000.
If you want to throw in the rest of the stuff, it's pushing half a million. Of course I have been doing this since the '60s, and just recently "retired" my 1st mono reel-to-reel (Craig Panoramic - used in the intros to Mission Impossible). I never sell anything, I just keep accumulating...

Scott

Well, it depends what you include - does acoustic treatment count? What about instruments?

Count it all.

If we're counting just recording gear, I've got somewhere between $250,000 - $300,000.
If you want to throw in the rest of the stuff, it's pushing half a million. Of course I have been doing this since the '60s, and just recently "retired" my 1st mono reel-to-reel (Craig Panoramic - used in the intros to Mission Impossible). I never sell anything, I just keep accumulating...

Scott

DAMN! You da man!!! :eek:

I dont think he's the man. I think he has a lot of money invested into everything, which is cool, but the music on his site is extremely boring.

I have a tascam 4 track with a mic that I use for gaming on my computer, a bad ass fender squire with stickers all over, a johnson bass, a huge line 6 guitar amp and my friend has a BC rich guitar that he brings over all the time and leaves so it's basically mine.

I dont think he's the man. I think he has a lot of money invested into everything, which is cool, but the music on his site is extremely boring.

Let's not turn this thread into that. If you want to hammer him because you don't like his music, start a new thread with that topic. My response was based upon the fact that during the course of his life he's managed to find close to half a million dollars to invest in gear and instruments. That's something of which I freely admit to being jealous.

Edit: I just went to DigitMus's site to give a listen and I thought "If I Can't Have You" was pretty damn good. It has a strong 60s vibe which I like and the guitar work has a bit of Jerry Garcia flavor to it; I like that too. I tried to go to Haystacker99and's site but apparently he has no site. He simply decided to use his 10th post on the board to criticize someone else's music without putting any of his own out there. That might be okay if DigitMus invited people to go listen and offer feedback, but that's not the case. Pretty weak.

Reactions: NL5
Back