How much money do you have invested in your studio?

How much money do you have invested in your project studio?

• Total voters
Ha, i like this post. ive only began accumulating gear a few years back, but i find i am addicted to even the simplest gadgets... wireless mice, usb hubs, cables(i feel compelled to buy the best, gold tipped etc) headfones, interfaces. im so disorganized with everything else in my life, but when it comes to my "studio" gear, its immaculent the amount of organization prevalent. I can see this being a problem in future years.

I've spent lots on gear and instruments, though it's been very focused since I have narrow recording needs. But I bought my current house because of its acoustics - multi-room layout with high ceilings. Including that kind of puts me off the scale.:eek:

With guitars and amps approximately $2,000. Not much but considering I started recording less than a month ago I'm sure the dollar amount will be in the thousands...

this stuff is way too addicting!!!

i have about £2000 ($4000)but thats all i need for the music i make (hip hop)

that includes a pc, 1 mic, 1 mic cable, 1 interface & 1 set of headphones. 1 pair of monitors.
1 copy of cubase and copy of reason to make beats

i have about £2000 ($4000)but thats all i need for the music i make (hip hop)

Yea, you're working on 2007 exchange rates there :)
That was a brilliant summer... travelling around California and living as if money didn't matter! Oh how things have changed since.

Anyway, I need to change my poll now.
A few months ago when I voted I probably had £200 invested, now that's more like £2-3k :eek: And that's based on second hand prices; it would be a lot more than that if I'd bought that spare laptop new. It may not sound like a lot to some of you who have £50k+ invested, but to a teenager its a small fortune. I hate to think what my midlife crisis is going to be like! At least its not going to be vintage cars :D

I do need to invest in another lava lamp though - my current one clashes with my computer wallpaper!

This is for the stuff I still have and doesn't include things I've bought and sold (usually at a loss)...

Recording gear: approx $9k (since this is a poll about studio gear, this is the number I'll use)
Instruments, amps, and effects: approx $16k

Total: Approx $25k*

*This number is subject to significant increase at any moment

I'm sure it's past 30k if you include all the cables, interface boxes, and a ridiculous number of broken headphones. The best of this stuff was purchased for other purposes than music recording, so does that count?

The sad thing is that most of it rarely gets used much any more. I just don't have a suitable space to set it all up.

Anyone in northern Virginia need a partner?

Ye Olde Hawke

Hmm, I didnt add in my guitars or my personal rig, I didnt consider it part of the actual recording studio. But I suppose as far as investment I could easily add in another 4k on top of what I polled.

SO i guess im closer to the 10k mark.

I just did an inventory of the gear I currently have on hand, including instruments, to make sure I have adequate insurance coverage. I only have a little project studio but I came up with a total of $40,490. Yikes!

Is that replacement value or what you actually paid? I almost NEVER buy new.

Is that replacement value or what you actually paid? I almost NEVER buy new.

I went by what I actually paid for gear (instruments included), but since I started the poll I've passed the $50k mark. :eek:
I'm currently having a guitar built by this guy and a bouzouki built by this guy. That's about 8 grand right there. Add in some software and a few other instruments I've bought in the past year and I'm ready to check myself into a mental institution. I swear, collecting audio gear and instruments is a sickness.

Eons ago when I had a 24 track, ADAT based studio, I once added up what I had spent in cables alone.:eek:

I've never done that again.:o

Instruments...about $31,597. Recording gear...around $3,840. My first home recording...priceless (well, my wife thought so). Really, my recording gear is very basic, but my guitars are very fine instruments. They just need a better master.

I figure I've spent right around $10500, which includes about $4000 in instruments. Of course, that cost was stretched out over 20 years or so and includes a few things I no longer have or use. Also, some of the stuff was originally purchased for stage use but is now being used in my studio. I'd probably be depressed to know how much it's all actually worth now ...

Including instruments, amps + cabs and my computer, I reckon about £2500-3000. So far. I think I'm gonna need another £3000 on top of that, just to get some more of the basic stuff. Up to about £10 000 [£7000+£3000 already planned] to get a fully semi-pro studio.

Back