USB Problems!

ranjam

I am not sure if this is the right Forum. Seeing as there isn't a dedicated Zoom Forum, I am just wildly asking here. Let me know if there is an more appropriate Forum that will likely get reults. But until then.......
I have a new Zoom HD16CD. I am trying to connect it to my computer to do some Cubase editing. I get the error message right away than is paraphrased as "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it...". It doesn't matter what USB port I use, whether or not I have any other device attached to another USB port, I have tried different USB cables, and I have even borrowed other Zoom recorders. The same error message pops up. Does anyone have any idea about what the problem could be?

I am not sure if this is the right Forum. Seeing as there isn't a dedicated Zoom Forum, I am just wildly asking here. Let me know if there is an more appropriate Forum that will likely get reults. But until then.......
I have a new Zoom HD16CD. I am trying to connect it to my computer to do some Cubase editing. I get the error message right away than is paraphrased as "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it...". It doesn't matter what USB port I use, whether or not I have any other device attached to another USB port, I have tried different USB cables, and I have even borrowed other Zoom recorders. The same error message pops up. Does anyone have any idea about what the problem could be?

Beyond making sure that you are plugging it into a full-power USB port and not a low-power port on the back of a USB keyboard or something... I have no idea. Bad driver installation, maybe? Yet another broken service pack? Dunno.

I had problems with usb devices and it is all because of the drivers. If you are using vista, there may not be drivers for it. Then again, I don't know, but checking you have the right drivers is the first thing to look at.

Here is what I know, and it ain't much;

* You don't need any drivers. There are no drivers.
* I have tried a plethora of USB cables. Same message.
* I have tried all USB ports, with everything else unplugged. Same message.
* I have borrowed other Zoom recorders. Same message.

I have schlepped this thing to other computers, and the mofo works every time! Now some of these machines are older and suposedly much less of a machine, but they still work like a charm. A few older machines would give a message... "This device will work faster and better with USB2 connections", but it still works fine. Just for sh*ts and giggles I try my computer again, and the @#!&* thing works! Ah, but it's a fleeting joy. Today it's the same error message, and I've been plugging and unplugging into all the USB ports for the last hour. A new computer would definately be easier on the nerves. Sigh.

Pickup a USB adapter (cheap for desktops, more for laptops). I've had bizarre problems with a few USB ports on machines that were resolved by getting a new adapter. $15-40. $40 will probably get you a Firewire port as well.

If it's motherboard USB connections you are having problems with, have you tried updating your BIOS? Does your machine want any motherboard chipset drivers that you haven't installed?

Um, I am not that smart with computers. I know enough to be dangerous, but also enough to know how not to @#$% things up. How do I know if I have an Intel chipset? It's a store-bought computer, not a clone or one that someone assembled in their basement. And, I know it's a P4, but beyond that :confused:.
You'll have to be more specific about the adaptor. I really don't know exactly what you mean. A quick Google search shows a few with terms that I don't know; USB to serial, USB to RS232, USB-G4. I dunno what to ask for. But this all great help, so please accept my humble thanks now and again later when I finally figure this out, or just get a new computer.

Sweet. That I can understand (sort of), or at least enough to repeat it to my computer repair guy. It has to be cheaper than buying a new computer!

Rather than wait for my computer guy to make time for me, I bought my own PCI card, installed it, and my Zoom is now working through my PC. The weird thing; this PCI card has five USB ports, and only one works with the Zoom. The others give me the same error message :confused:. But I am now opening files and editing them with the Cubase software. I just wish I knew what the @#$% is happening here. I cleaned out my PC, tightened all connections, put it all back together, and it seems to be OK (through that one USB port). I may try all the PCI slots, juggling the other cards I have around. But for now, I get to use my PC, without buying something just to run Cubase :D

Back