Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Studio Build Documentation

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    DAY 148

I'm out of the endless tunnel!!!
    Today the building inspector came out for my final inspection, spent about 5 minutes looking, and said [I]"Enjoy your new space, your certificate of occupancy will be mailed out in the next couple of days".
    Great milestone and just in the nick of time. Well done and enjoy!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilljam View Post
    Great milestone and just in the nick of time. Well done and enjoy!
    I was talking with my contractor, and asked how were things for him out there now...construction work, repair work, etc., is considered essential so he's still working...and he said that work is OK, but he is starting to see a slow down in material availability as some suppliers have either stopped or reduced their workforce.

So he said I'm lucky that I got finished just in time...and asked what if we were just starting now, to which I replied that I probably wouldn't want to start in this type of climate, though he did also say that he's had some new jobs lining up anyway, but only time will tell how they evolve in the midst of these shutdowns.

Thanks
    awesome, this has been a long and interesting road to travel along vicariously and we thank you for gracing us with your project's progress.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    I was talking with my contractor, and asked how were things for him out there now...construction work, repair work, etc., is considered essential so he's still working...and he said that work is OK, but he is starting to see a slow down in material availability as some suppliers have either stopped or reduced their workforce.

So he said I'm lucky that I got finished just in time...and asked what if we were just starting now, to which I replied that I probably wouldn't want to start in this type of climate, though he did also say that he's had some new jobs lining up anyway, but only time will tell how they evolve in the midst of these shutdowns.
    I'm nearing the finish line with my home build as well in a month or two and am quite nervous about supply issues and possible delays due to work restrictions.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    GREAT news Miroslav! If I could be trusted with booze I would down a glass to you and your Herculean efforts, as it is I shall enjoy a second coffee!

Do NOT feel the slightest twinge of guilt friend. Had you not got 'certified' for the building you might have been in danger of another, less pleasant form of certification!

Enjoy, rest and make wonderful music.

Dave.

Thanks
    In the lockdown, I've got a request to build a smallish home studio, so might do this because I can have deliveries sent safely and be totally isolated. Trouble is, I feel guilty, but the money would be useful at this empty diary time. Trouble is some things need two people and that's going too be difficult. Perhaps I'll wait a while and see how tight or more relaxed the advice is. Grim though really.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    In the lockdown, I've got a request to build a smallish home studio, so might do this because I can have deliveries sent safely and be totally isolated. Trouble is, I feel guilty, but the money would be useful at this empty diary time. Trouble is some things need two people and that's going too be difficult. Perhaps I'll wait a while and see how tight or more relaxed the advice is. Grim though really.
    Go for it Rob! I too have done jobs where another pair of hands would have been useful but it is surprising what you can handle with a couple of Workmates, Acros, even old mic stands!

Some things will be impossible of course and stay safe....Or!

Go through your cable stack and test and repair (you have also given me an idea, see 'Contributions')

Dave.

Thanks
    on the cable stack front .... I'm sorry to have to report that the pile is huge and over the past few years I've been guilty of buying new ones rather than mending the old ones. I know this is bad, but the cost of cables sometimes in normal times makes the repairing of them cost more! Indeed - I've still made lots of new ones where looks are vital, but repairing an old sticky gaffer taped cable and making it look good is beyond me!

Thanks
    on the cable stack front .... I'm sorry to have to report that the pile is huge and over the past few years I've been guilty of buying new ones rather than mending the old ones. I know this is bad, but the cost of cables sometimes in normal times makes the repairing of them cost more! Indeed - I've still made lots of new ones where looks are vital, but repairing an old sticky gaffer taped cable and making it look good is beyond me!
    You can clean the gaffer residue off very effectively with ISOPR.....Oh!

Dave.

Thanks
    I've got a couple of old travel chests, full of cables from the past that need mending or I went with some different configuration and just made swaps, or some cheaper stuff that was replaced by better stuff. I keep it for those moments when I need a piece of cable, I can go hack one off and toss some connectors on it...and it's because much of that old cable still has connectors, that I keep it. When I need some connectors, I cut them off, clean then, reuse them.

Though sometimes just buying new cable is easier. When I get this new studio set up, I will replace much of the cabling since I already have some high quality Mogami 48-channel that I acquired for free...so I can actually reduce the number of smaller/individual cable runs by using them. The old multi-channel that I have is some military grade 26-channel that I also acquired for free from a theater/AV department that was tossing it.

It was a 100' roll, probably meant for live use, since the outer jacked was very thick and stiff...but I cut it up into smaller pieces and used it to wire up most of my current/old studio. The conductors were solid core, with both aluminum and heavy duty braid shield...so you can imagine how stiff it was. I needed to peel back the outer skin a good 2-3' so I could work with it. Anyway...this Mogami will be a nice change and better quality, plus real easy to work with.
    I will snag all the connectors off the old cables and reuse them...it's mostly Neutrik and Switchcraft stuff, so it cleans up well and has plenty of life to it.

I found that often some spray silicon works great fro removing goo...or even plain old cooking oil if you are dealing with something delicate and you want to avoid all the solvents. Takes a bit more work rubbing the goo off...but the oil softens it, and then you can scrape it off with your fingernail or a soft scraper, and then the oil wipes off with a rag.

Thread Information