Drum room help!

NL5 said:
WAY better than before!

Is the verb on the snare gated? It sounds like the snare from "those shoes". Sounds kinda like a fake 80's snare. :)

Do you have a felt beater on the kick? It sounds pretty "woompy". I'd loosen it a bit and get a hard plastic headed or wood beater.

Also, I'd bring the OH mic up another foot, maybe two.....

The verb on the snare is not gated - it just is really dead right now - I will try to get it back to where it was before
I have a felt beater on the kick. I also need to replace the kick head - I will also see about a harder beater.
Are you saying I should raise the OH mic higher above the set - about 2'?

Thanks again for the help

dwkman0117 said:
Are you saying I should raise the OH mic higher above the set - about 2'?

Raise the OH about 1 to2 feet higher than it was in that sample.

NL5 said:
Raise the OH about 1 to2 feet higher than it was in that sample.

I will do that, plus I just messed with my snare to get it back to where it was... I undampened it and then tightened it up a ton - then lostened the snare. It sounds great - I will try to record something tomorrow and repost.

thanks again for all of the help

dwkman0117 said:
I will do that, plus I just messed with my snare to get it back to where it was... I undampened it and then tightened it up a ton - then lostened the snare. It sounds great - I will try to record something tomorrow and repost.

thanks again for all of the help
That should help. And doesn't your kick beater have a felt side and plastic side? Every beater I've had has, although I've seen a few without.

dwkman0117 said:
Nah - my beater is all felt.
ahh. I remembered this morning, as i woke up, about the all felt beater. Hmm, maybe get yourself the cheapest beater you can find with plastic. Like this(need to get a few of these myself) or this. NL5, is there much difference in sound between a plastic and wooden beater?

pandamonk said:
ahh. I remembered this morning, as i woke up, about the all felt beater. Hmm, maybe get yourself the cheapest beater you can find with plastic. Like this(need to get a few of these myself) or this. NL5, is there much difference in sound between a plastic and wooden beater?

Yes, there is a pretty big difference. I like the DW heavy double sided beaters (one side felt, one side plastic)

Mine looks kinda like this one (stolen from ebay) -

Attachments

• 9292_1.JPG
    9292_1.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 38
NL5 said:
Yes, there is a pretty big difference. I like the DW heavy double sided beaters (one side felt, one side plastic)

Mine looks kinda like this one (stolen from ebay) -
Thought there would be. Will have to experiment. I have the pearl one i linked to.

pandamonk said:
Thought there would be. Will have to experiment. I have the pearl one i linked to.

That pearl one looks like the DW one I have. Wood, in my experience, doesn't give as much of a thud as the weighted plastic ones, but gives a really nice "slap" sound. If you mic it well, you can hear the wood.........

NL5 said:
That pearl one looks like the DW one I have. Wood, in my experience, doesn't give as much of a thud as the weighted plastic ones, but gives a really nice "slap" sound. If you mic it well, you can hear the wood.........
Yeah, i could imagine the wood giving a nice slap, sounds like an innuendo. The pearl one isn't really weighted that much.

Here is my next try - check it out and let me know... it's getting better I believe.....

once again, you guys are great! Thanks for all of the help!!

dwkman0117 said:
Here is my next try - check it out and let me know... it's getting better I believe.....

once again, you guys are great! Thanks for all of the help!!

Sounds great. I would just bring the OH down 2-3 db (in the mix) as it's still overriding the rest of the drums. How far are you out from the wall? It does sound a bit like there is some comb filtering going on in the OH.

The only thing left to really improve upon would be a second overhead........

I think the kick still sounds dead muffled. You need a plastic or wooden beater, and do you still have anything in the kick? The snare sounds better, but there's still something. Think where you do a snare fill, it doesn't sound right for some reason. Maybe it'll sound better with other instruments, but i think it still need a little work. It's definitely getting there though. Also, the toms sound louder than the snare. Could you post some examples of mics on their own, like just kick, just snare, just overheads, then one of all, and maybe that'll help us pick out where needs some touching up. I might even do a mix of my own :P

Infact email me them at mad_lee_drummer@hotmail.com

pandamonk said:
I think the kick still sounds dead muffled. You need a plastic or wooden beater, and do you still have anything in the kick? The snare sounds better, but there's still something. Think where you do a snare fill, it doesn't sound right for some reason. Maybe it'll sound better with other instruments, but i think it still need a little work. It's definitely getting there though. Also, the toms sound louder than the snare. Could you post some examples of mics on their own, like just kick, just snare, just overheads, then one of all, and maybe that'll help us pick out where needs some touching up. I might even do a mix of my own :P

Infact email me them at mad_lee_drummer@hotmail.com
I have a small amount in the kick.
I emailed you wav files so you could remix it.

Thanks

NL5 said:
Sounds great. I would just bring the OH down 2-3 db (in the mix) as it's still overriding the rest of the drums. How far are you out from the wall? It does sound a bit like there is some comb filtering going on in the OH.

The only thing left to really improve upon would be a second overhead........

I agree that it does sound better, I will lower the OH. I must say, I did not move the kit out from the corner.. would take up too much room for now..

thanks again

dwkman0117 said:
I have a small amount in the kick.
I emailed you wav files so you could remix it.

Thanks
Yeah just got the emails. Downloading :D Was expecting mp3s but wavs even better.

dwkman0117 said:
sorry about the size of the wavs - I just hate the lose of sound quality with the mp3's
Had a go. Spent time EQing etc. Didn't like what i got, but got the best i could and A/B'd it with yours, and there's bearly any difference. I think it sounds pretty good now, maybe just a couple of things, like getting out the corner. If there's ever a time you can, you'll hear the difference. New heads, and a plastic/wooden beater and it should sound great.

pandamonk said:
Had a go. Spent time EQing etc. Didn't like what i got, but got the best i could and A/B'd it with yours, and there's bearly any difference. I think it sounds pretty good now, maybe just a couple of things, like getting out the corner. If there's ever a time you can, you'll hear the difference. New heads, and a plastic/wooden beater and it should sound great.

That's great to hear that I am not a complete idiot at mixing... I will try the additional suggestions you gave... did you happen to notice though, the great deal of blead on the snare? I might try turning that mic away more from the kit.. there was allot. Also maybe adding another audiobuddy. The tracks from that, snare-tom, seemed to be better quality.
by the way, I did give you the tracks after I had added some eq'ing and verb... I hope that wasn't a bad thing?

Thanks again for your help..

dwkman0117 said:
I agree that it does sound better, I will lower the OH. I must say, I did not move the kit out from the corner.. would take up too much room for now..

thanks again

Just bring the OH down in the mix.

Also, get out of that corner. You are having a bunch of comb filtering in your cymbals. You'll be amazed at the difference.......

Back