Recording rain methods.

Endorya

Hello, what would be the best way to capture rain? I want to capture the sound of rain in a plain so it has a natural feel of hitting the grass and dirt at different distances. How would I achieve this? Would I use a shelter and simply point the mic at the rain? I will use either a Tascam DR-40 / DR-07 for the job.

Thank you.

If you are in some kind of shelter, then you are going to pickup the sound of the rain hitting the roof of the shelter - you need some way to insulate the mic from that sound.

A shotgun microphone is going to be your best tool.

Yeah, I was wondering that also, hence my post. So how one isolates the mic without recording the rain hitting the isolation itself? :/

Rain would hit the isolation, but a shotgun mic is directional and should help to minmise the pickup of off axis sounds.

It's what they use to mic up people in an audience, etc.

You can also try dampening your isolation. For example, if you use an umbrella, put a dense cloth over it.

Rain would hit the isolation, but a shotgun mic is directional and should help to minmise the pickup of off axis sounds.

It's what they use to mic up people in an audience, etc.

You can also try dampening your isolation. For example, if you use an umbrella, put a dense cloth over it.

Interesting... I'm going to have a look at shotgun mics (I know nothing about them). Is there anything special I need to know about them? Like recommended brands / prices / models?

Thank you for the reply.

I read about this Sennheiser ME66/K6 Shotgun. The sound seems really good, but it is a bit costly for my budget (I need 2x). I wonder if there are decent shotgun mics between 80€ - 100€. :/

No need to travel to Spain. Rain and plains are also quite abundant in my own country. Thanks for the tip though ;)

I captured the rain during a heavy fall with my Zoom H1. If you go to ground or near ground level and just point the recorder to a point 4 or 5 feet away, so long as you've set a good recording level, aren't near metal or similar hard objects for the rain to bounce off, you can get good recordings.

Interesting... I'm going to have a look at shotgun mics (I know nothing about them). Is there anything special I need to know about them? Like recommended brands / prices / models?

I read about this Sennheiser ME66/K6 Shotgun. The sound seems really good, but it is a bit costly for my budget (I need 2x). I wonder if there are decent shotgun mics between 80€ - 100€. :/

Why do you feel you need a pair of shotgun mics? I do a bit of field recording and I do in fact, have two shotgun mics but they're not a pair. One is a long/lobar gun and the other is short (actually, the ME66). Are you trying to create a stereo capture of the rain? If so, (I'm no expert field recorder or anything) in my experience with sounds way off in the far field like that, there's no need to record them in stereo. A little post work in your DAW will save you a couple hundred dollars...

You can also just record the rain with a condenser mic and a phantom powered recording device, like the H4n - which is what I use. I take my AT ae3000 out with me when I go recording because it's a pretty small LDC and use it to capture all sorts of things. Just be careful of moisture and humidity.

One more thing: Is there a particular reason why you'd prefer to record the rain yourself and not just download a sample from somewhere? There are literally hundreds - if not thousands - of nature captures available and many of them are free. You just gotta spend some time searching for the one that best suits your needs.

I have to say I've never used shotgun mics in a pair--anything distant enough to require a shotgun is far enough away that there's little or no directional information anyway.

My most successful rain recordings have simply been opening my patio door and sitting a cardioid (generally an AKG C451EB just inside pointing at my garden (this was back in the UK. Mono is fine for rain.

However, I've done a variation on this for thunder storms where I put an X-Y pair of cardioids in the same position. This gets a lovely effect as the sound of the thunder bounces around the surrounding neighbourhood.

No need to travel to Spain. Rain and plains are also quite abundant in my own country. Thanks for the tip though ;)

You're wrong and RAMI is hilarious. Rule #1 of home recording. :) :) :)

Really though, I recorded rain and thunder with a pair of sm81s from a garage in the UK with no problems.
I'm sure the rain noise on the roof wasn't helpful, but you'd be hard pushed to pick it out.

Last edited:
I had a friend who travelled to Barcelona. he sent a postcard from The Wayne in Spain!

Did he spend a lot of time on the aircraft? If so, the Wayne in Spain stayed mainly on the plane....

Why do you feel you need a pair of shotgun mics? I do a bit of field recording and I do in fact, have two shotgun mics but they're not a pair. One is a long/lobar gun and the other is short (actually, the ME66). Are you trying to create a stereo capture of the rain? If so, (I'm no expert field recorder or anything) in my experience with sounds way off in the far field like that, there's no need to record them in stereo. A little post work in your DAW will save you a couple hundred dollars...

Yes, I metioned the pair of mics for stereo recording exactly to avoid the extra work required to mimic a decent stereo. The mics will also be used to record specific sounds in urban areas where I don't want to record the sound from all directions. Can I ask you for what do you use the Long/lobar gun for?

One more thing: Is there a particular reason why you'd prefer to record the rain yourself and not just download a sample from somewhere? There are literally hundreds - if not thousands - of nature captures available and many of them are free. You just gotta spend some time searching for the one that best suits your needs.

I want to create my own rain sounds as the free ones I've come across don't feel well, either they have city environment in the background, or the quality is not that great. I also need different strengths of rain but with no wind in the background. Apart from all this I also plan to build my own sound database online available to everyone to use.

Thank you all for the replies.

microphone protection

Why not set your mics under a tree? Put each one in a none lubricated condom to keep them watertight

Yes, I metioned the pair of mics for stereo recording exactly to avoid the extra work required to mimic a decent stereo. The mics will also be used to record specific sounds in urban areas where I don't want to record the sound from all directions. Can I ask you for what do you use the Long/lobar gun for?

To make stereo recordings, you're not going to want a pair of shotguns. You'll likely find a lot more use out of a pair of small diaphragm cardioid condenser mics. Rode makes a matched pair at a decent price point. And of course, the Oktava MK012 is a very popular mic at a reasonable price as well.

Shotgun mics are super directional and are used to isolate one particular sound amongst a moderately noisy background, or to pick up a sound the 3 - 6 feet away from the microphone (depending on the type of shotgun). Typically, their off-axis response is quite terrible - this is because they are meant to "see" the source as specifically as possible, with a minimum of sound from other directions.

Basically, the long gun is just more directional, is all. I use it when I'm out on the street in the city, recording buskers or helping friends with their independent movie sounds. The longer the interference tube, the more directional the mic becomes but it also makes the mic unsuitable for many situations where reflection might be an issue, like indoors, corridors, alleyways, etc. You really have to be conscious of which way the mic is pointing, where the nearest walls are and where the noise that you're trying to eliminate is coming from. I find the short gun gets a lot more use and often times, my SDCs get even more use still. If you plan to get serious about field recording, then you'll definitely need both a pair of SDCs and a shotgun mic... but I'd recommend starting off with the SDCs, if you don't have some already. They'll get you out there and capturing all sorts of stuff both in stereo and in mono and you'll start to learn which sources you'd like to use a more directional microphone on.

I want to create my own rain sounds as the free ones I've come across don't feel well, either they have city environment in the background, or the quality is not that great. I also need different strengths of rain but with no wind in the background. Apart from all this I also plan to build my own sound database online available to everyone to use.

The "no wind" thing is crazy. It's a field recorder's worst enemy and you'll be fighting it all day, every day. Even a slight breeze inside a building from an air conditioner can ruin an otherwise decent recording. Wind protection is an absolute necessity and it is not cheap. A Rycote shotgun windscreen will cost you about $200 for the low end model. To get a blimp on a pistol grip, you're looking at like $600 - and these costs do not include the microphone, btw.

Plan your budget well and buy what is most important first. To start, I'd recommend a pair of SDCs and windscreens for them, a stereo bar to mount them on, shockmounts of some kind, if you intend to walk around with your mics while recording, a stand of your choosing, a great set of circumaural headphones, cabling and a waterproof bag to carry your recording device and all the toys.

Field recording is great fun, but it's certainly not cheap. It can also be crazy frustrating and rewarding. I look forward to hearing your captures! :D

Back