Recording rain methods.

If you are in some kind of shelter, then you are going to pickup the sound of the rain hitting the roof of the shelter - you need some way to insulate the mic from that sound.

But rain doesn't make a sound unless it's hitting something, whether it's a roof, the porch, or trees.
I've tried a few times with the H4n, but it always just sounds like white noise. Got a few good thunderclaps though!

But rain doesn't make a sound unless it's hitting something, whether it's a roof, the porch, or trees.
I've tried a few times with the H4n, but it always just sounds like white noise. Got a few good thunderclaps though!

The right amount of rain intensity will also dictate how well it will 'feel' once recorded. Recording heavy rain will definitely sound like white noise. The best rain recording I've heard and that I plan to mimic is light rain with light or no wind at all. I think the right formula for a good rain ambient should be recording distant rain in a open field and then record the rain hitting a moderate hard surface up close and then mix the 2 sounds. I'm going to try this once I get the appropriate equipment.

Last edited:
I think the right formula for a good rain ambient should be recording distant rain in a open field and then record a the rain hitting a moderate hard surface up close and then mix the 2 sounds. I'm going to try this once I get the appropriate equipment.

Seriously, stay in touch on the forum. I'm excited to know that there are other folks interested in Field Recording/Foley here on HR and it'd be a shame to have you disappear like so many others, especially as it seems like you've thought a lot about different techniques to capture the sounds you want. Most ppl that I've met that have an interest in this stuff just kinda go out, record something basic and leave it at that - without thinking about how to make their sounds as realistic as possible. Heck, I'm one of them, sometimes!

Seriously, stay in touch on the forum. I'm excited to know that there are other folks interested in Field Recording/Foley here on HR and it'd be a shame to have you disappear like so many others, especially as it seems like you've thought a lot about different techniques to capture the sounds you want. Most ppl that I've met that have an interest in this stuff just kinda go out, record something basic and leave it at that - without thinking about how to make their sounds as realistic as possible. Heck, I'm one of them, sometimes!

You don't have a clue of how good it felt to hear that. Most of the time I'm just labeled as the crazy perfectionist guy that enjoys doing the "weird" stuff. I've always been fascinated by sound, specially sound editing. I never recorded nothing though, but I'm now selling all my music equipment so I can purchase decent sound recording equipment so I can finally try it out. I have never gave up on the idea of having a home studio dedicated to record Foley sound FX. My home is too small for it, but one day... one day...

Tell me more about you. You are also into Foley huh? I'm planning to run a website dedicated to Foley sound. Does this interests you?
Drop me a line.

I dont think anyone here thinks your crazy mate. I find your approach fascinating.
I'm also very intrested to hear how you get on and if you'd care to share the techniques you end up using.
Are you going to be using something like the Zoom h4?
I guess you have a lot of experimenting to do. Just like myself.
I try allsorts just to get the sound i need. I love experimenting with mic positions and room placement.
Because capturing the right sound (or as close as i can get) saves so much time at the mixing stage.
More is less as they say.
I have been experimenting with using a gate on the vocal track via a send to duck distorion guitars just a few db to help prevent masking in a full mix and it went really well.
Next im going to have a go at freqauncy selective dynamics to de-ess vocals.
I hope you have fun and enjoy the process.
We're all pilgrims on the jouney to refined sound engineering.

It does feel cozy here :D!
I wish to make a repair on my previous comment. When I said people often label me as the crazy perfectionist, I was actually referring to those who coexist with me daily and that have no passion in creating anything whatsoever. Those do have a hard time understanding me. Now, I never thought for a second I would be felt as crazy around here. This is a forum related to the art of sound so I know you guys fully understand me.

Gosh! I can't really wait to start recording sound so I can share my experiences with you all.

Some rep for you buddy. (although i dont think your rep points show until you get over the 50 posts hurdle)
So theres a good reason to keep posting right there.

Rep points are a system of bestowing good reputation to posters.
There are also neg reps too.
Dont worry its a good thing. Left top see my rep power thats where yours will appear on your posts too.

Rep points are a system of bestowing good reputation to posters.
There are also neg reps too.
Dont worry its a good thing. Left top see my rep power thats where yours will appear on your posts too.

I actually understood what it was immediately after posting as I noticed the "rep power" label on the right of each post.
My bad.

Nonetheless, thanks for the explanation and for the good reputation points :D

Recording rain

There are plenty of sound effects cd's that have recordings of rain, they are clear and atmospheric and recorded in different locations ie; jungle, street's, by the river ect, If you don't want to shell out for an effects cd then just record one of the videos off youtube, I found one with thunder and lightening that is really powerful for a track I did recently,,,,,,, hope that helps!

There are plenty of sound effects cd's that have recordings of rain, they are clear and atmospheric and recorded in different locations ie; jungle, street's, by the river ect, If you don't want to shell out for an effects cd then just record one of the videos off youtube, I found one with thunder and lightening that is really powerful for a track I did recently,,,,,,, hope that helps!

Yes, I am aware of that but I want / need to record my own sounds. I'm moving towards sound designing. Did you check if the track you used from youtube is copyrighted? Just wondering and making sure you don't get into trouble. I've seen people getting themselves into a big mess for that little. Sometimes finding if a certain "free" sound is actually available for commercial use takes longer than just recording the sound yourself, unless that particular sound is hard to get, like the roar of a Lion ;)

Thanks for the hint thought :)

Last edited:
Sometimes finding if a certain "free" sound is actually available for commercial use takes longer than just recording the sound yourself, unless that particular sound is hard to get, like the roar of a lion
That said, even hard to get sounds are a challenge that are great fun to chase down and successfully get. It's like chasing a rare item on ebay and finally landing it !

Recording rain

lemme think,,,,,

Yes, I am aware of that but I want / need to record my own sounds. I'm moving towards sound designing. Did you check if the track you used from youtube is copyrighted? Just wondering and making sure you don't get into trouble. I've seen people getting themselves into a big mess for that little. Sometimes finding if a certain "free" sound is actually available for commercial use takes longer than just recording the sound yourself, unless that particular sound is hard to get, like the roar of a Lion ;)

Thanks for the hint thought :)

The recording was not for commercial use. I would make something out of plastic sheet in an inverted 'V' shape, line the inside with cloth or old carpet and put the mic close to an opening, as there would be no flat 'roof' and steep sides there would not be much for the rain to make a sound on.

The recording was not for commercial use. I would make something out of plastic sheet in an inverted 'V' shape, line the inside with cloth or old carpet and put the mic close to an opening, as there would be no flat 'roof' and steep sides there would not be much for the rain to make a sound on.

You know, I've actually thought about that but it would only work for rain without wind, otherwise rain might hit the shelter's sides quite hard as it won't fall in a straight line. But it is definitely worth the shot. I'm not sure if plastic would be the ideal material but with the right isolation, it could just work.

If everything goes as planned, at the end of the month I will have the money to finally get the recording equipment. I can't wait to try some rain recordings. It is actually raining as I type. Weird feeling :)

Now I'm back to ASP .NET I need to setup my website. Thanks for the reply.

Didn't follow the whole post so this might have been mentioned. Freesound.org has tons of sounds and people like to explain how they got them too. Give them a look.

I have had two mics setup in my garden for 6 months and a camera (a nifty from Maplins. The paint is peeling but it has put up with rain,hail, baking sun and frost for 6 months and not blinked once). The chain is :-mics, Berry 802>bal line thru house to a Fastrack pro running as stereo lift amp feeding a 4 way video/audio splitter> TV, DVD/HDD recorder and PC.
It is to capture the birds that my wife spends a fortune feeding. This is ENGLAND! I have fekkin' HOURS of rain!

Dave.

I have had two mics setup in my garden for 6 months and a camera (a nifty from Maplins. The paint is peeling but it has put up with rain,hail, baking sun and frost for 6 months and not blinked once). The chain is :-mics, Berry 802>bal line thru house to a Fastrack pro running as stereo lift amp feeding a 4 way video/audio splitter> TV, DVD/HDD recorder and PC.
It is to capture the birds that my wife spends a fortune feeding. This is ENGLAND! I have fekkin' HOURS of rain!

Dave.

That's really awesome. Will you post your resulting work? Like in youtube or so?

Back