Tascam 48-OB Story...

Y'know I wish I could quantitatively answer that...

The way I figure it is that certain circuit paths are going to be connected when you hit the power switch, even when it is unplugged. I figure the more I can do to put the unit into a neutral state the better, but I have posted the question elsewhere "what is the best way to drain capacitors?" The question came after I got some sparks when removing a power supply that was disconnected from the mains and I figured it to be charged caps...never got an answer. So I do what I do not really knowing if it is helping any.

OK, cool, thanks. I too would like to get an answer to that. It's a very interesting question and one I never seen asked anywhere. It does make sense though, powering down both the power switch & power cord.

... and the lucky winner is: Jeffrey Hunt, a.k.a. lo.fi.love! I spotted Cory's deck in a craigslist search and recognized the torridheatstudios.com link in the ad.

Color me 'stoked' :)

So, it's the big sweetbeats selloff???

Wow. How many sessions or projects did you start or complete on the 48?

Was it the boat anchor Ampex that tipped the scale?:eek:;)

Too bad, 'cause I was gonna give you some of my excess gear!:eek::eek:;)

Wow. How many sessions or projects did you start or complete on the 48?

Zero. :rolleyes::o It was always second fiddle...a bonus that came with the 58 so I never put it through the paces of a project.

Was it the boat anchor Ampex that tipped the scale?

Yes.

Too bad, 'cause I was gonna give you some of my excess gear!

Do you have any excess gear? :D

OH! Another comment on the CS-607...If you do your own maintenance and calibration, don't get a cheapy rack like this:

View attachment 104723

Folks, it is just not worth it. Whether you access your cal trimmers from the front or bottom or whatever, at some point you're going to need to access stuff in the back and it is a significant pain to try and do work at the back of the deck with it tilted back toward you at 45 degrees. Tascam did a great job on the design of the CS-607 rack. Its sits lower and is narrower than the rack pictured above, is much sturdier and better built and easier to adjust...during my activities last night it was such a treat to be able to easily lay the deck flat, set it upright, set my tensions with the deck at 30 degrees...I can't say enough about it after all the work on the 58 in one of those cheap stands. Yes you do loose 7U of rack space down below...it isn't worth it...get another rack for that stuff if you need it. So if you've got a tabletop style recorder-reproducer, think about it. If I knew what I know now, I'd have willingly paid $200 for a CS-607. I paid $100 for mine (missing the stopper/locking pin assemblies and casters) and it was worth every penny. ;)

Hi, Sweetbeats, and thanks for all the detailed and informative content here. I just want to take issue with you on one thing and that is the Ultimate Support JS-JRR100 rolling rack stand. I own three Tascam CS-607 stands and unfortunately for me I only consider one of these stands to be in good enough shape for me to feel comfortable putting my Tascam 40/50 series decks in it. Because of this, I decided to look for an alternative and I found that the JS-JRR100 stand that you have pictured to be more sturdy and robust than the CS-607. I understand your thoughts on being able to tilt the rack completely perpendicular to the ground so as to be able to access the rear panel of the deck more easily, but in my opinion if one were to have the need to do that wouldn't it be best the take the deck out of the rack altogether and put it on a workbench?

Each to their own. On the 48 the r/p amp cards are accessed from the bottom of the deck. When mounted in the non-Tascam stand you can’t easily access the trimmers to do a basic calibration without unloading it from the rack. I know I would t want to do that each time I need to calibrate it. I suppose you might be able to get to them if you didn’t mount anything in the lower bay, but what a waste that is, and then having crouch down low with your head craned up to make sure your adjuster tool is tweaking the correct trimmer. The Tascam rack you just tilt it back and you’re looking right at the trimmer panel...nothing in the way. This is not an issue with the 58 where the r/p amp cards are accessed from the front of the machine. I’m not sure what it is you’ve got going on that’s not working on your CS-607 stands, but the design and build quality are leagues above on the Tascam compared to the other one. I’ve never had a problem with any of the CS-607 stands I’ve owned, though I do make sure all the fasteners are tightened before I load a machine into it. Anyway, like I said, each to their own and whatever works for you is good. I just know after using the off-brand import stand, the design, materials and build quality were nothing like the Tascam.

Back