New Analog Multitracks?

Lets just hope it's not an early April fools joke. Would be great for analogue, in general, if true. I may drop a note to Otari for confirmation / clarification.

There was a rumour like that a few years ago. Although I also had heard you could if you had sufficient cash, special order a 4 track from Otari a few years ago as well, basically built to order probably about as much as new BMW. Note that the link is to the 5050 half track, and there ain't no mention in any of the Otari news releases....

I think that's just wishful thinking on that other forum. :D

If Otari had ANY plans to manufacture multitrack analog decks again...you KNOW the buzz would be all over since they would want to churn up interest and potential buyers.

I have the latest Otari 2-track that's shown in that link...and I don't think they even make those anymore, instead, I beleive they simply made a bunch of them, put them in storage...and they sell them as needed.
I don't think the assembly lines are running anymore for any analog decks. :(

Don't give up the ghost because there is a bit brewing in China!

And you can bet those might be pretty decent units.

You can still get (big league) machines from ATR. It looks like they either recycle parts and remanufacture parts that they don't have. So they are technically "refurbished" a lot like a car restoration I'd suppose, is it old or is it new?

I've also heard that rumour about Chinese mfg, but haven't seen any info.

I just e mailed the closest thing to a corporate e mail I could find. If/when I hear back I'll let you know.

Don't give up the ghost because there is a bit brewing in China!

And you can bet those might be pretty decent units.

I wouldn't bet on it.

They have trouble manufacturing & assembling 10 electric guitars in a row exactly the same way...I can't see them doing any better with a multi-track deck that has tons of precision parts and all kinds of delicate electronics.

I'm not trying to just slam the Chinese...but man, their QC sucks big time, and they are known for slipping in shoddy/cheap raw materials (even toxic crap) just to lower the production costs.

But I hope I'm wrong...it would be great to see them put out a TASCAM, OTARI...or dare I say it --- a Studer :eek: quality deck!!!

^^what he said...I picture cheap quality, lowest-bidder electronics, soft metals and lousy finishes that wear quickly, generally loose tolerances etc...if it's an unreliable machine you want, get a vintage deck, at least it'll be built like a tank so it won't dent when you bang your head against it :D

Of course you've got guys like Randy Blevins and Chris Mara doing some nicely refurbed vintage MCIs...and while they sell 'em for top dollar relative to the used market, they're still a much better deal than $6700 for a new (and dare I say pedestrian) 5050...don't get me wrong, they're very solid venerable decks, but wowsers...especially when you can get used 5050s for three digits (even after cleaning up and flogging some spare parts in 'em)...

all makes sense but consider that Rockwell-Collins, manufacturer of commercial aviation electronics, will now be building their equipment in China!

So there have to be some that will be quality based although it is hard to believe.

Who knows?

all makes sense but consider that Rockwell-Collins, manufacturer of commercial aviation electronics, will now be building their equipment in China!

Look for the airline crash of the century coming to a 24-hour news channel near you. I would put a smiley emoticon, but it ain't funny. Ok I'll put the drinking/drunk emoticon because they must be.

Wait, is drunk an emotion? And how about spanking? Well at least this thread has started me thinking. ;) :drunk:

they're still a much better deal than $6700 for a new (and dare I say pedestrian) 5050...don't get me wrong, they're very solid venerable decks, but wowsers...especially when you can get used 5050s for three digits (even after cleaning up and flogging some spare parts in 'em)...

I scored mine for $500 on eBay...it came from a closed radio station that had it in their store room as a spare. Basically a new $6700 deck for $500! :)

If serious companies with experience in R-to-R decks run the show and all the design and QC is done by their best people, and just have the Chinese build it...then maybe the Chinese could churn out something decent...thoguh in most cases, even then there are often issues with the manufacturing coming out of China.
But if it's all solely up to the Chinese...well, at this point in time they seem to be mainly focused on profits at the lowest cost...and not so much on quality products.
And the sad thing is that they get away with that because the competition is disappearing. If there were other companies building high-Q decks (or most of everything else coming out of China these days), then the Chinese would have to measure up…but instead they are becoming the sole supplier of many things, so they do what they want.

The other sad thing is that most buyers seem to be swayed by lower prices rather than top quality...so, they'll go for the cheap stuff and just make do with it...and hope that the one they buy was made when the assembly line was operating at 100% efficiency.
It's like trying to pick the best looking lemons at the supermarket. :D

--- most buyers seem to be swayed by lower prices rather than top quality...

That's the operative statement for sure.

There may, however, be some decent quality that will come from China.

Believe it or not Ferrari is using some Chinese made products!

The other sad thing is that most buyers seem to be swayed by lower prices rather than top quality...so, they'll go for the cheap stuff and just make do with it...and hope that the one they buy was made when the assembly line was operating at 100% efficiency.

Ah yes...the Behringer Approach...they wrote the book on it, and apparently now all the other MI (and some pro) mfrs have read it :spank:

I'll admit I'm cynical...and it's not like ok quality parts can't be spec'd and manufactured there with sufficient oversight...buuut...

OTOH I have a LP arch-top knock-off made in Korea that is gorgeous and VERY well made. Entirely happy with it and a totaly different story than the budget stuff I've had that came out of China.

Just sayin'.

Same experience here: don't throw Korea and China into the same category regarding gear/instrument manufacturing. I have a PRS Tremonti SE from Korea and that one is a killer guitar! I don't know how they did it, but they really did it right. Very well manufactured, very good sounding, very versatile. May have something to do with PRS QC, too.

Cheers
Tim

I agree, Korean made gear is in another league from the Chinese stuff. I have a solid top/back Alvarez acoustic and a Schecter electric that are both nice Korean made guitars. I also have quite a few Korean-made EWI mic/patch cables and a couple of their DIs that are great bang for the buck (particularly if ordered with Neutrik ends).

Back