Found a little gem in the ruff: TEAC Echo-8 analog echo unit

VESSEL2020

Somewhere in Space
Well there's a little story behind this one, but I don't have the time at the moment to tell the story,...so, for now I'll just post a couple pics until I can fill everyone in on how I came to obtain this beautiful little piece of history.
I was wonderin' if anyone has any info they'd like to share about this unit?
I looked all over the net, but all I could find is a posted picture of the TEAC Echo-8.
I am an avid collector of tape echos, & analog delay-echo units,...so, this is a nice little find for me.:D
Anyone ever used this unit before? Anyone that might know the year it was produced?
This colorful soundin' machine is cherry! Plugged it in, and ran a microphone test through it,..and it works as good as new. Can't wait to find the time to hook it up to a synth and start tracking with it.
Here are a couple pics, although I'm not a very good photographer, and my camera is a cheap one.:eek:

Attachments

• 100_8869.jpg
    100_8869.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_8878.jpg
    100_8878.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_8873.jpg
    100_8873.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_8874.jpg
    100_8874.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_8883.jpg
    100_8883.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_8885.jpg
    100_8885.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 147
Whoa, that is too cool! Have you opened it up? Can you take pictures of the guts?

Sorry,..my computer went down for a bit...

Nope, not yet...but..
Now you've got me curious to see the insides as well. Especially due to the fact that I'm in the process of building an analog synth w/ real tape echo inside. (Even though this isn't a tape based echo)
My band has a pretty big gig to play this weekend, and we haven't practiced in quite some time, so we'll be hittin' the practice spot all week.
Maybe I can find some time to do that on Sunday.
I'll definitely post some "gut pics" as soon as I open her up.;)

I'm guessing this is a bucket-brigade delay?

I'm not too sure just yet, until I open her up and see if there's a BB chip.
Although I have some pedals that have a couple of those in 'em,..and it does sound similar.
Kinda hopin' there is one in there.

I've got a ROCKMAN ECHO with BBD chips. Honestly sounds like the real thing, tape echo that is. Till I started researching BBD's, I never knew one could have an analogue "tapeless" tape echo that actually sounds like the real deal. Nice and rare unit you've got there VESSEL. I too can't wait to see the insides. :)

Yah-yah!!! Guts pics!!

That is cool! Don't think I've ever seen one of those!

Right? Me neither! I was stoked when the owner pulled it out!
There's a bit of a story (not a huge one) behind it that will take me some time to write out, but I don't want to ruin it just yet.
Put it this way,..I finally found "the 388" that I was lookin' for!...and this little bugger was an added bonus!

I've got a ROCKMAN ECHO with BBD chips. Honestly sounds like the real thing, tape echo that is. Till I started researching BBD's, I never knew one could have an analogue "tapeless" tape echo that actually sounds like the real deal. Nice and rare unit you've got there VESSEL. I too can't wait to see the insides. :)

Thanks Daniel!
I will try to open her up on Sunday mornin' and post some pics for everyone to see.

I have not tried to see if she'll self-oscillate,.. yet.

Last edited:
I haven't forgotten about the "gut pics".

I tried to take the Echo-8 apart, but the knobs on the front pots are held on with
tiny hex screws.

It seems to be a very tiny Allen / hex screw that I do not have a wrench for.:o
I'm workin' on it. Gut pics comin' soon!

Found some gut pics!!!...TEAC Echo 8

Soooooo I haven't been on here in awhile.
Had a very unfortunate accident. Been outta commission for quite some time.
All is well now though.

I had missed conversing with my analogue brothers on here.
This has always been my favorite place to spend time on a Sunday morning w/ coffee.

Just wanted to follow up on this post even though it's from last year.

I was doing some searching (once again) on this TEAC Echo 8 unit and happened to come across
some gut pics that another Echo 8 owner had posted.

I had not seen these pics when I searched for info on this unit almost a year ago.
Actually,..I didn't come across one picture of the unit when searching last year.
I'm starting to think TEAC had a limited run for these analogue echo units.

Well,..here's the link to the gut pics since I have not yet found a hex wrench that fits mine.
mode zero - phase shifter phaser flanger chorus delay vintage effects photos mp3 demos

I've also noticed that the silk screening on this person's Echo 8 is a bit different from mine.
The one in these pics has Stanny Series silk screened on it as well as TEAC ENTERPRISE.
It also has a retreated input on the front.

Mine only says TEAC Echo 8.

I wonder why so little info on this cool piece of history...and if there were only a few prototypes made?

Anyway,..It's good to be back here on the forum.
Hope all is well with everyone.

- Ron

Maybe I should post the pics here just in case the link to that website disappears?
Just for archiving purposes.

Neat piece, Ron and thanks for the link to the internal shots!

When I first started selling consumer electronics back in the early 80's, a number of the Japanese manufacturers had similar echo units. In particular, I remember the Pioneer unit most fondly as it had a real psychedelic blue tunnel vision display that would light up these oval shaped lamps that looked something like the time tunnel, from that old TV show from the 60's. It had a brushed aluminum face plate and was normal component sized, about 2 rack spaces high.

I'll try to find a picture of it! I think it was called an RT-60, but I might be wrong on that.

Cheers! :)

It was called an SR-303...

pioneersr303.jpg

Cheers! :)

Sorry to hijack,
Analog Echo System.JPG
I just saw this little "analog echo system" on ebay and decided to snag it. The only thing I could really dig up on it was that it is bucket brigade. Can anyone share any info on BB chips or this unit?

That's some nice units!

How does the Rockman Echo work if there ain't no tape involved and it ain't digital neither? Noob question I know.

Back