HR Members guitar design and build thread

If someone could make a suggestion of a guitar to choose as a starting point for the surf design it would be helpful.

I'd start right here. Everything can change however, I always start by looking at silhouettes when deciding on body shape. It's less cluttered but still gives you a solid look..

Attachments

• hrsurfcaster1.jpg
    hrsurfcaster1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 26
Here's the same guitar drawn in a sort-of Reverend style.

When I use the term ears in this context I mean everything that's attached to the sides of the neck blank of a neck-through design.

The construction I was envisioning was to bandsaw the shape of the ears from some stock and cut out a portion of the inside of that shape. Then I could glue a cap for the top and back.

OK thats good. I've always used the term wings but no mind...

The top and back caps would work or you can go with a body and cap and just hollow out what you don't want selectively. Either is fine but you would have to bind the front and back if you went your way

@milnoque

Just before you mentioned the slotted headstock thing I was going to raise that with you but forgot. Any specific reason why as they can be a PIA and add significantly to cost. Not a deal breaker but you'll need to look carefully at what tuners you'd want on there.

OK thats good. I've always used the term wings but no mind...

The top and back caps would work or you can go with a body and cap and just hollow out what you don't want selectively. Either is fine but you would have to bind the front and back if you went your way

Wings it is going forward.

Alembic used to build guitars capped the way I described and then radius the edges rather dramatically. It's an interesting look. Probably not for a surf style though.

@milnoque

Just before you mentioned the slotted headstock thing I was going to raise that with you but forgot. Any specific reason why as they can be a PIA and add significantly to cost. Not a deal breaker but you'll need to look carefully at what tuners you'd want on there.

Pure whimsy.

I'd start right here. Everything can change however, I always start by looking at silhouettes when deciding on body shape. It's less cluttered but still gives you a solid look..

Your silhouette looks very Jaguar/Jazzmaster. I really like it with the two sided headstock. I can do up the drawings I have posted in silhouette form if you can wait 'til tomorrow evening. Perhaps that will give some time for others to weigh in.

Your silhouette looks very Jaguar/Jazzmaster. I really like it with the two sided headstock. I can do up the drawings I have posted in silhouette form if you can wait 'til tomorrow evening. Perhaps that will give some time for others to weigh in.

It is because it's the Jackson surfcaster, Just inverted and blacked out in photoshop. What we all really need here is drawings in a simple format that we can all play with. I'm no graphics expert so I have no idea where to start with that. As I say I'm still a pen and paper guy. One day I will learn CAD. Or so I keep promising myself..

I do have cad files for the Jazzmaster some where I'll dig them out for comparison...

Wings it is going forward.

Alembic used to build guitars capped the way I described and then radius the edges rather dramatically. It's an interesting look. Probably not for a surf style though.

Yeh, there are a number of ways of doing it. All will work. It largely depends on what you want to achieve and finding the easiest route to get there....

I won't have access to my autocad this weekend. I hope I get a chance to look in on this thread once in a while. I hope we haven't lost everyone.

Jizzmaster or PRS Dira body shape, is that it? ffs don't any of you have any original ideas? :)

I'm a bit late on this, so I'll just shoot my wad, then shut my mouth.

Okay, I've always thought LPs and Strats were two different tools for two different jobs. The chambered Paul body produces some soft, warm resonances that I prefer for classic rock rhythm work. Heat up the pickups aned I guess you can make a liar outta me! :p

The guitar I pick up the most at home is a mexican strat built from odds and ends. It's my go-to axe for shreddin' with friends, and practice. Not always 1st choice for recording, though.

I've always liked Charvelles and Jacksons. I like the body style and playability. I've got a DK-3 with 24 fret board that lets me do E-string pulls into the stratosphere. I've got a Kelly with locking clamp and nut. I fitted it with EMG81s for recording lead parts.

I aint no purist, and I like to be able to build "Frankenfuck" guitars, so I'm a fan of bolt-ons.

So there's my 2 cents: I like model 6 bodies, bolt-ons, locking trem, and pick-ups be damned cause I'm gonna play it through a tube Marshall or Peavy anyway. :D

I'm a bit late on this, so I'll just shoot my wad, then shut my mouth.

Okay, I've always thought LPs and Strats were two different tools for two different jobs. The chambered Paul body produces some soft, warm resonances that I prefer for classic rock rhythm work. Heat up the pickups aned I guess you can make a liar outta me! :p

The guitar I pick up the most at home is a mexican strat built from odds and ends. It's my go-to axe for shreddin' with friends, and practice. Not always 1st choice for recording, though.

I've always liked Charvelles and Jacksons. I like the body style and playability. I've got a DK-3 with 24 fret board that lets me do E-string pulls into the stratosphere. I've got a Kelly with locking clamp and nut. I fitted it with EMG81s for recording lead parts.

I aint no purist, and I like to be able to build "Frankenfuck" guitars, so I'm a fan of bolt-ons.

So there's my 2 cents: I like model 6 bodies, bolt-ons, locking trem, and pick-ups be damned cause I'm gonna play it through a tube Marshall or Peavy anyway. :D

All good..

Did you get get what we are trying to do here? Basic premise is that we get as many people as possible to contribute to the design of a guitar and I'm going to build it for kicks. Post#! will be updated with progress and I will try to keep the house clean as we go. There are some hard yards to put in first in the design of said guitar but all contributions welcome. After that I will post as the beast takes form and then it should get pretty exciting. Everything has to be decided upon from the basic stuff we are chewing over now to the name we tag it with. Stay tuned.

Oh and Cmunch is our resident thread derailer. We have space here for all talents.. Welcome aboard.:)

Back