zoom h4n and condenser mic

Hmmm. A lot of replies. Sounds like you got it working! :)

For future reference, don't use any adapters. You need an XLR to XLR cable where phantom power is involved....always.
In fact for any mic, you should be going into the XLR socket with a proper XLR connector.

The input sockets will accept XLR or 1/4", but they go to different places!

Two reasons:
One - XLR connector will be 'patched' to a mic preamp whereas a 1/4" jack (probably/usually) wont.
Two - Phantom power will be supplied over pins 2+3 of the XLR connector, but not over a jack.

Yes, Im 56 years old and havent done any sort of recording in earnest for about 15 years now and that was on an old tascam cassette 4 track! Digital is certainly a better sound and I will get the hang of things! Im looking forward to posting some recordings when I get things ironed out.

Thanks for the post! I am self employed working guy so time is limited for my hobbies. The mic matter is resolved now and I am still figuring out the Zoom recorder. I may post some rough recordings soon though ( If I can figure that out! )

Thanks for the post! I am self employed working guy so time is limited for my hobbies. The mic matter is resolved now and I am still figuring out the Zoom recorder. I may post some rough recordings soon though ( If I can figure that out! )

I use the Zoom H4n for some years now for my quick portable recordings, also sometimes with 2 condenser mics with phantom power in 2 channel mode, great thing this H4n, amazing how well it works! Two RØDE NT1's go so well with this small recorder, I am sure that the AT's will do a great job as well.

succes recording!

PE1MMK
Hans.

Sorry I didn't pick up on this thread, as I've used the H4n a fair amount. General rule of thumb (not a law)- Phantom power isn't generally routed to 1/4" jacks. It is routed to XLR jacks. I'm glad the problem was solved. With the right external mics, you can do great things with the H4n. It rocks with a pair of AKG C2000b's or Oktava MC012's. I have plugged Neumann KM184 mics into it, but their a little too pricey for doing most remote work. I would only use the 1/4" jack for an instrument, a line level input, or a high impedence mic (a rarity these days, except for a handful of harmonica mics).

Back