zoom h4n and condenser mic

dcowan

I recently purchased a Zoom H4N recorder and an audio technics condenser mic to do some open mic acoustic recordings. I went to input settings and enabled the phantom power 48v as indicated but cant get the mic to work! What do I need to do?

The H4n is, I think, a four track recorder just like my Tascam DR40.
By default it'll be set to record stereo from the two built in mics.
You can change that to mono (any of the four inputs), stereo (built in or external), or four track.

Do you see source options in the menus?

Also, you'll need to be using an XLR-XLR, male to female, cable.

hit <menu>
roll up one spot on the wheel on the upper left side and select <mode>
change from whatever it says to <4CH>

Everything else as Steen says. I've been using one for years and when you find the sweet spot you won't believe what it can sound like. Here's my band using it at a practice a few years ago. The amps and vocals were set up in front of the built in mics and I had 1 condenser for an overhead and one in front of the drums. This is how I always record practices.

https://soundcloud.com/bill-l-1/02-she-got-me-when-she-got-her

Bill L

I am just getting to know the recorder! You do open mic recordings in 4ch mode? I was under the impression that I would want to use MTR mode? How do I get the condenser mic to work?

I am just getting to know the recorder! You do open mic recordings in 4ch mode? I was under the impression that I would want to use MTR mode? How do I get the condenser mic to work?

I have never used MTR so I have no idea. I do use STEREO mode and 4CH mode all the time, though.

You need to enable phantom power. Go to the <Input> menu and scroll down until you see phantom power (which should be disabled), enable it.

Bill L

I have never used MTR so I have no idea. I do use STEREO mode and 4CH mode all the time, though.

You need to enable phantom power. Go to the <Input> menu and scroll down until you see phantom power (which should be disabled), enable it.

Bill L

Bill, perhaps you're right (you know the unit?), but 4ch mode doesn't sound right if the guy wants to record from one microphone.
Surely that'll give him three wavs of silence for every actual recording?

I presume MTR is multitrack recording which would most likely mean one input at a time.
Unless there's an obvious mono mode, choose MTR and see if you can set the input source as ext.1 or whatever zoom calls it.

He said in the OP that phantom power was on, although it's always worth confirming.

OP. Please confirm you're using an XLR to XLR cable.
Your mic will not work with any other kind of cable.

OK, I just grabbed my H4. MTR is for multi track so, once in MTR mode, and assuming your XLR cable is plugged into Channel 1 and phantom power is enabled, what you need to do is this. Select which track (1-4 buttons are under the LCD screen) you'd like to record on and then select channel 1 using the input buttons on the left side.

That should take care of it. Good call Steen.

Bill L

OK, I just grabbed my H4. MTR is for multi track so, once in MTR mode, and assuming your XLR cable is plugged into Channel 1 and phantom power is enabled, what you need to do is this. Select which track (1-4 buttons are under the LCD screen) you'd like to record on and then select channel 1 using the input buttons on the left side.

That should take care of it. Good call Steen.

Bill L

Ah, good. Thanks for the 1st hand reference. :)

i did that and to no avail! I can plug in my Shure sm58 and it works but the audio tech mic does nothing

i did that and to no avail! I can plug in my Shure sm58 and it works but the audio tech mic does nothing

Ok,
Please check and respond to all of these.

What exact model is the mic?
Is it known to work? ie. have you ever successfully used it?
If no, can you test elsewhere?
Are you using an XLR to XLR cable?
Is phantom power set to 24V or 48V?
Are your batteries good?

Ok, The guy at west music sold me a XLR to 1/4 cable. I took the XLR to XLR cable off of my SM58 and put a XLR to 1/4 adapter on it, still nothing from the audio tech mic. GRR getting frustrated

Ok, The guy at west music sold me a XLR to 1/4 cable. I took the XLR to XLR cable off of my SM58 and put a XLR to 1/4 adapter on it, still nothing from the audio tech mic. GRR getting frustrated

Why do you need an XLR - 1/4" adapter? The H4n is a multi input jack but I think you need XLR to carry the power to the mic. You should just use the XLR x XLR cable straight into the recorder and it should work.

Ok new here so not real sure how this works! The mic is a AT2020 +48v. I bought it brand new and so i havent used it till now. I dont know how to try it anywhere else as I have never worked with phantom power!!! Phantom power is set to 48v. Batteries were good, recharging some now. Does it make any difference if I use an ac adapter as opposed to the batteries? I used the XLR to XLR cable off another mic and used a XLR to 1/4 adapter on it and still nothing.

That was it exactly! The recorder accepts XLR jacks and I assumed that it didnt based on how it looked. Thanks man

Have you tried the other input (presumably input 2)? Or tried it with the AC adapter? It could be due to the rechargeable batteries. I used to use them a number of years ago but stopped for some reason that escapes me at the moment. I do know that the H4n was acting funky in some way and stopped when I used regular batteries. I usually plug it now because the phantom power drains the batteries very quickly. Of course, there could be an issue with the mic. Any way to test it? Got a mixing desk or a PA head around? Maybe a friend or music store near by can check the mic?

****I was going to delete this post but I thought the bit about rechargeable batteries was was worth leaving.

It was the XLR to XLR thing all along! Thanks for your input. - Doug

---------- Update ----------

Yes thanks to Steen!

Back