Zoom H4 live recordings

cephus

Slow Children Playing
I bought this thing and have recorded several gigs. I have been trying to get them to sound at least a little better.

they sound flat, so I use EQ to add some sizzle. They are also heavy in the low mids so I pulled some of those out. I normalize to 98% using CEP.

What I would like to figure out is what kind of compression would work on an overall live mix like these. Here is one warts and all. If I get some suggestions, I will try them out and see if I can get something a little crisper and punchier sounding.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have for processing.

cephus_is_Illin

Hey Man! Good to see you round here, its been awhile!:D

The band sounds good.:cool: I dont know if there is much you can do, with all the noise in the club. Compressing is gonna make the noise as punchy as the music.:D

Hey Dave.

I got a new band together and have been putting together a more concise show together. I bought this H4 to record a demo for the band, but the results haven't really been stellar. I wonder if the reason they sound muddy is because of the high souond pressure.

Anyway, I probably have 15 hours of gig recordings. They're not all jewels. It seems like when the sound was good, the playing was bad and the best playing is on the worst recording. Wrong mic levels, wrong sampling rate, etc.

We separately recorded a feed from the mixer to another stereo digital recorder. Unfortunately, it was one with an internal hard drive, so I never got those files. SD card recorders are great for transferring data around.

If only they didn't sound like shit.

Back