You guys want to see a killer drummer?

None of this, and I mean NONE of this, means a crap if you can't play the groove solidly and inspire the listener. A drummer with incredible soloing skills is nothing more to the average listener than a guy jacking off in a closet!

Well, on a stage at least...

It might make other drummers cum, but to most people it's confusing ...and a bit disgusting.

Of course, you know the old joke about the explorer who went crazy after 10 nights of non-stop drumming on a desert island. He would ask his guide every night "When will the drumming stop?" and the guide would always reply "When drumming stop, ...very bad!!!" This made the guy very worried, and he was losing sleep.

Every night the drumming would get louder and the man would ask again "When will the drumming stop?!" the guide would always reply "When drumming stop, ...VERY bad!!!" He was starting to think the natives might attack!!!

Finally the guy was losing his mind and with bloodshot eyes screamed at the guide "What happens when the drumming stops??!!!!!"

The guide replied...

"Bass solo!"

All aspects of drumming are important. But judging from crowd responses,(I.E, maddening applause after a solo) the average listener does like a good drummer doing a good drum solo. And the average listener can tell a good one from a bad one... A 30 minute solo is probably a bad Idea though in most cases. Groove drumming is definitely something you need in the toolbox... I would hope all drummers explore various styles/techniques... the more you know the better off you'll be when it comes to writing songs and solos or whatever.

Lol at this bickering. I posted the link of that kid cos i was pretty damn impressed by what that kid could do and just imagine how much he better he will be in 5-10-20 years time.

For his age he is probably one of the best out there, i wasnt debating on technique n all that it was just a simple link...as for virgil well he' rocks without a doubt but he also has many years experience on this kid.

lol. Bickering's funny.
Pretty much any young person who picks up the sticks and can play gets my respect. We should all try to encourage music at an early age...

I was Lucky and never had to "Learn" how to play Drums I just automatcly Knew how to Play them the First Time I sat Down on a Kit Includeing useing Double Kick Pedals..(Too Much Air Drumming to AC/DC...LOL).
I Did Get Better at them as Time went on But I was allready better at them the First Time I sat behind a Kit as Our Drummer was after Playing for over 5 years, We ended up Getting rid of our Drummer that Day and I became the Drummer and we then had to Find another Bass Player to replace me.....

I Find if my Double Kick Pedals are Too Loose then the Padal Doesn"t Come Back Fast enough for the Next time I want to Hit it But if they are Too tight then it is Too Hard to Hit the Padal with enough Force that you get a Good Sound and when the Padal Comes Flying Back it has a Habbit of Smacking the Front of My Foot which really Hurts, so i find You have to Find a Ballance between too Loose and Too tight so that you can hit the Pedal without effort but it comes fast enough so you can hit it again when you need to and without Smacking your Foot to death......

Cheers

Metal Ist Krieg said:
lol. Bickering's funny.
Pretty much any young person who picks up the sticks and can play gets my respect. We should all try to encourage music at an early age...

I totally agree! There are a lot of young players out there these days who are simply incredible. I often wonder if the Internet hasn't given them an advantage because they have access to different ideas and concepts that weren't as readily available when I was younger. I had an excellent drum instructor in school - but he was totally "old school" in his thinking.

Tim

double stroke rolls

he is pretty damn fast. his hand technique is just double-stroke drum rolls, which isn't a big deal, but his feet are damn quick. Hope to see this kid make it big...

1980Slingerland said:
he is pretty damn fast. his hand technique is just double-stroke drum rolls, which isn't a big deal, but his feet are damn quick. Hope to see this kid make it big...
If you watch marco play in some of his other videos you get to see him use more single stroke rolls on his hands... I suppose he's using the double strokes in that song to give it a specific character.

Back