You guys want to see a killer drummer?

Holy shit. I've never actually seen someone play fast like that. That is amazing! Any idea how he double basses like that? It looks like hes using his feet only and no leg power. When you said this kid is good you were not kidding around!

Me, I'm naturally shit with double bass, so I wasn't thinking about that, and then all the hand stuff I could do so I was just like "Eh, he's ok" and then he did that one handed roll shit and I must say....damn he's good :)

sirslurpee said:
Holy shit. I've never actually seen someone play fast like that. That is amazing! Any idea how he double basses like that? It looks like hes using his feet only and no leg power. When you said this kid is good you were not kidding around!

He's using the Heel-Toe technique. It lets you do a double-stroke roll, by striking the pedal first with the heel, and then rolling your foot forward just like when you walk, and you hit with the ball/toe of the foot. You have to be able to put almost your whole foot on the pedal to do it.

Tim

OMG! I've never seen anything like that in my life....and I thought I'd been around the block a few times. Awesome technique this guy has. Thanks for that link, Tim.

Tim Brown said:
He's using the Heel-Toe technique. It lets you do a double-stroke roll, by striking the pedal first with the heel, and then rolling your foot forward just like when you walk, and you hit with the ball/toe of the foot. You have to be able to put almost your whole foot on the pedal to do it.

Tim

Wow.. I've theorized about being able to do that but I don't have enough power or control in my left foot yet to pull it off. Looks like I need to practice more...
Thanks for the link and thanks for the advice!

sirslurpee said:
Wow.. I've theorized about being able to do that but I don't have enough power or control in my left foot yet to pull it off. Looks like I need to practice more...
Thanks for the link and thanks for the advice!

You have to tighten your pedals as tight as they will go. It's basically a modified heel-down technique, and with the pedal tight, it will build your feet extremely quickly. Most drummers have weak feet - that's why they are playing with their pedal's springs loose. The tighter the spring, the faster the mallet returns back to center.

If you are right footed, your left foot will adapt to the technique faster than the right, because you have to retrain your right foot.

It's an awesome technique. it will take about 90 days or so to get it down, due to muscle memory, but once you have it, you'll be freaking out at how fast you can actually get with it.

And even more important, is how much control you will have over the pedals.

The only thing Marco does that I question, is if you watch the video, he kind of hunches his shoulders at times, so he needs to work on his layout of the kit just a bit.

I'm sure he'll be getting endorsements any day now, because the kid is just amazing.
I really need to quit calling him a kid - he's about 20 or so I think and has been playing around 10 years, but to me - he's still a kid. :p LOL

But he's smoking man.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim Brown said:

Tim
So he's alright...but he has small feet :D

Haha...

I love the end of that video.

Now I have to try that heel/toe thing. I will be working on that...

How did he do the single handed roll thing that somebody mentioned? Is that just pure practice and speed? It kind looks like there's a technique to it....

That was pretty impressive. Damn. It would take me a million years of practicing to be able to play that piece ...

Drummyjoey said:
I love the end of that video.

Now I have to try that heel/toe thing. I will be working on that...

How did he do the single handed roll thing that somebody mentioned? Is that just pure practice and speed? It kind looks like there's a technique to it....

It's called the Freehand technique. You strike the head and rim at the same time, and then for the second strike, you rock the stick across the rim, then raise the stick and repeat it. You have to make sure the stick connects with the head and rim at the same time, or you get a clicking sound that is really annoying from when the stick hits the rim - if you hit both at the same time, it's covered up by the sound of the snare being struck.

Tim

Wow

Thanks for posting that, Tim. That makes it much clearer. I can only imagine what kind of possibilities something like that would free up on the drumkit.

So how long did it take you to learn the hand technique? (If you can do it)

Drummyjoey said:
Thanks for posting that, Tim. That makes it much clearer. I can only imagine what kind of possibilities something like that would free up on the drumkit.

So how long did it take you to learn the hand technique? (If you can do it)

Well, I learned it a few years ago.

It all depends upon how much quality practice time you are willing to throw at it.

I mean, it might take me 20 minutes to pick it up, but it might take you weeks. Part of this is going to be because I started playing almost 30 years ago, so I've spent a lot of time with the drumsticks. I mean - When I was in High School, The Drumcorps had pre-school practice, and we would be there at 6:30AM doing rudiments.

After a while, you'll find that you reach a plateau, and then you'll have this period where it just seems like you're not getting better, and then BAM! You will have this huge leap because the mind/muscle memory and coordination finally connect.

It all depends upon YOU. How much time are your willing to put into QUALITY Practice? That's it really. Sure, Natural ability and talent do play into it, but you strill have to be willing to put in the time.

Tim

Tim Brown said:
It's called the Freehand technique. You strike the head and rim at the same time

I'm with you...

, and then for the second strike, you rock the stick across the rim

Lost me. I keep reading variations of this advice, but I can't figure out how turning my wrist is supposed to make a stroke. Of course, I am not a drummer.

Well he has the heel/toe thing down. The one-handed roll is good. I felt like I was watching a loop, however...same thing over and over. Kid has his shit together, just not my type of drumming.

Props to them for putting out a video with their drummer playing a 4 piece kit. Amazing how many folks think that drummers (metal/shred types in particuliar) record with the monster sets they use at live shows.

ermghoti said:
I'm with you...

Lost me. I keep reading variations of this advice, but I can't figure out how turning my wrist is supposed to make a stroke. Of course, I am not a drummer.

Okay, when you stike the rim and head at the same time, the back of the stick just drops down. While it is sitting on the rim, you just raise the back end of the stick up, so that it rocks across the rim, and strikes the head, sort of like a "see-saw" motion.

Watch the video I posted at the "tigerbill" website. Johnny Rabb totally explains it, and shows you how to do it.

Tim

DALtune said:
Well he has the heel/toe thing down. The one-handed roll is good. I felt like I was watching a loop, however...same thing over and over. Kid has his shit together, just not my type of drumming.

Props to them for putting out a video with their drummer playing a 4 piece kit. Amazing how many folks think that drummers (metal/shred types in particuliar) record with the monster sets they use at live shows.

Yeah, it does get a little repetitive.

Tim

Back