Yamaha PSR 270

Alexa S

Hey fellas.

Quick question here (sorta quick).

So I'm almost done with my very budgeted small bedroom studio. All I have left to buy is a midi controller that I plan to run through my Scarlett 2i4 for vst-s mostly, and monitors.

I was planning to buy a Roland 49 but it dawned on me that I have an ancient Yamaha PSR 270 in my parents basement that I haven't used since my highscool years. I would just have to replace the charger cable since it's been chewed up by our great dane Lucky in 2005.
Would that be a good idea? I could use the extra money for monitors if I don't buy the Roland.
Yamaha does have midi out, which is all I need right now so yeah... any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance :)

Certainly you can use it for now if you have it. It has MIDI ports but no USB-to-host port, so you need a MIDI-to-USB adapter to connect it to the computer. This will save you from needing to buy a keyboard controller right now.

However, when using a keyboard controller, you'll probably want something that's velocity-sensitive and has controls (buttons, knobs, etc.) for modifying the VST settings. If your portable keyboard or MIDI keyboard controller doesn't have (m)any such controls, you can modify the settings by using your mouse, computer's keyboard, etc. But in the long run you'll probably want a keyboard controller that has plenty of controls so you can easily modify settings without having to reach for your mouse, computer's keyboard, etc.

Back