Yamaha mg10xu USB recording problem

figgo

Hi, I just bought a Yamaha mixer. Everything is good but I had an issue with recording. I got a very low level signal recorded from USB. I use a Shure SM48 dynamic microphone, it is connected to the mixer use xlr cable. Even I adjusted the microphone gain or channel level to max, the signal recorded to computer DAW via USB still remains very low level. The signal level from monitor and stereo output are normal. Did anyone here encountered similar issue? I have tried different computer and DAW but still has this issue.

Thanks.

Work your way through the menus in the screenshot.
Note the USB device (a UCA 202 was handy) shows as a microphone(!) and that the level is way down at 3%. Yours is probably even lower but usually it is set at 100% by default and this makes for very noisy recordings.

This is W7 of course, no idea which tomfoolery obtains with 8. XP of course just works.

Dave.

Attachments

• W7 audio levels.png
    W7 audio levels.png
    347.3 KB · Views: 2,140
Work your way through the menus in the screenshot.
Note the USB device (a UCA 202 was handy) shows as a microphone(!) and that the level is way down at 3%. Yours is probably even lower but usually it is set at 100% by default and this makes for very noisy recordings.

This is W7 of course, no idea which tomfoolery obtains with 8. XP of course just works.

Dave.

Really appreciate your reply, the level is max in my Windows 7 recording device settings. Gain is almost maxed. Channel level and main/output level is max.

Would it just be because my USB cable is too long (16 feet)? My understanding is that cable length shouldn't imapct digital signal.

Would it just be because my USB cable is too long (16 feet)? My understanding is that cable length shouldn't imapct digital signal.

I doubt it. I have experience cable problems and usually the USB device just loses lock and does not work at all.
That said, 16 feet is 4.88mtrs, very close to the 5mtr limit and even that limit assumes a high quality cable. If yours is a cheapy, yes, try a shorter one. Even a very cheap 1 or 2 mtr jobbie should be fine.

After that I am a bit of a loss. Try the mixer on another computer? A generic USB 1.1 device should work on anything, no matter how old and slow....Opps! I see you have done that!

Dave.

Ok, just the usual questions to make sure nothing's overlooked:
With headphones or powered speakers hooked up to the main outputs, does the mic sound ok?
You have the main ('stereo level') control turned up when trying to record, right? As there is no separate USB level control, I assume the USB just mimics the main output.
The 'pad' button isn't pushed in on the mic channel? You've tried the mic on a different channel?

Unfortunately, the A-D converters on USB mixers tend to be noisy - on the low level signal you DO get, do you hear any whine or noise in the recording? It might just be that the USB output is f*cked.

" It might just be that the USB output is f*cked. "
It might indeed and if the mixer is still under warranty obviously get on their ass.

If not and all the analogue checks work out consider a Behringer UCA 202 (222) Only around £25 here but generally way better and quieter than most cheap mixer converters.

Dave.

Ok, just the usual questions to make sure nothing's overlooked:
With headphones or powered speakers hooked up to the main outputs, does the mic sound ok?
You have the main ('stereo level') control turned up when trying to record, right? As there is no separate USB level control, I assume the USB just mimics the main output.
The 'pad' button isn't pushed in on the mic channel? You've tried the mic on a different channel?

Unfortunately, the A-D converters on USB mixers tend to be noisy - on the low level signal you DO get, do you hear any whine or noise in the recording? It might just be that the USB output is f*cked.

Pad is off. the signal recorded is clean even after normalization.

I have to assume you are using the driver for this interface. When using ASIO driver, Windows input does influence the input (It bypasses the OS), if using the MME driver, then the OS controls the input. If you're using ASIO driver, forget the OS.

Audio Interface Support

I am sure the levels are controlled through the driver interface.

I have to assume you are using the driver for this interface. When using ASIO driver, Windows input does influence the input (It bypasses the OS), if using the MME driver, then the OS controls the input. If you're using ASIO driver, forget the OS.

Audio Interface Support

I am sure the levels are controlled through the driver interface.

I am using ASIO driver. I cannot find any level control for the USB output (From Mixer to computer).

figgo,
Just to clarify.... is the low recorded signal you get is what is playing back in the headphones via the mixer from the computers USB or how are you determining it's low? Amplitude of the recorded waveforms?

I grabbed the manual and at the bottom of its sheet it mentions a playback attenuator. Is it perhaps set such that the volume might be low, thus lending the impression of a low recorded signal? Might be worth a look.

I saw that you're using an ASIO driver. There is one from Yamaha for that mixer if the one you're using is generic.
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver | Firmware and Software | Downloads | Yamaha

Thanks everyone's help. I attached mixer settings and computer/DAW screenshot here. Did anyone see any clue ;)?
I missed a call from Yamaha support, the support guy left me a message say I should turn up the stereo volume... but actually that won't affect USB output at all.

y000.jpg

Track 1 is the track recorded from USB. Track 2 is the one I imported from other source with normal level.
y1.JPG
y2.JPG
y3.JPG

Attachments

• y0.jpg
    y0.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,177
Last edited:
Your track waveforms look fine. The imported ones look like they have been boosted/limited-compressed up closer to 0dB.

Your track waveforms look fine. The imported ones look like they have been boosted/limited-compressed up closer to 0dB.

Thank you, I just realized that one is recorded use the laptop built-in mic. The track3 in the picture below is the one recorded use mixer. Yamaha support told me it could be a defect and I am going to replace it.
Capture.JPG

Back