would like to replace sound on old programmed drum tracks

damianhk

Just watched some videos about replacing drum sounds in reaper. I can't grasp it. I just want to replace the kick and snare sound on an old song,. They are separate tracks. If someone is willing to do it, that would be great. If not, what's the easiest way? I'm really embarrassed about not being able to catch on to this, but that's where i'm at. Any info is appreciated. Really not picky on replacement sounds. An airy acoustic folk, soft rock/pop sound or maybe something similar to "breaking the girl" by rhcp.

Attachments

• kick.mp3
    1.4 MB
  • snare.mp3
    1.3 MB
Are they MIDI tracks? If so, it should be a fairly simple matter of swapping out the VSTi (instrument). But I don't do enough MIDI work to help with the details.

There's a decent free drum replacement plugin called Trigger 2. It essentially monitors the incoming audio signal and uses it to trigger a sampled sound that replaces the original. You simply insert the plugin on the track and load the sample you want to use in the plugin. It comes with several samples, or you can load your own. The plugin mutes the original signal by default, but you can even use the mix knob to blend the two together.

There's a decent free drum replacement plugin called Trigger 2. It essentially monitors the incoming audio signal and uses it to trigger a sampled sound that replaces the original. You simply insert the plugin on the track and load the sample you want to use in the plugin. It comes with several samples, or you can load your own. The plugin mutes the original signal by default, but you can even use the mix knob to blend the two together.
let me look into it. I remember having trouble getting plugins into reaper.

It can all be done easily in Reaper. I had a problem with a kick drum at a jam session that I recorded. The mic was bumped and was up against the kick drum head. I replaced the kicks with a different sound. In that case, I converted it to a midi trigger, and used it to hit the bass drum in my MTPowerDrumKit. I could have used a sample from my Alesis SR18 as easily.

These two videos show some ways to do it:

Just as an example, I used Kenny Gioia's method to covert some kick wave sounds to a midi snare. Here's the audio result, with the wave kick mostly left and the midi snare on right. The snare was from MT PowerDrumKit which is freeware. If you find you like it, toss the fellow $10 to get rid of the nag screen. The whole process took me about 10 minutes to do, because I moved a slider which changed the splits and gave me some double notes. I've attached a screen showing the actual tracks.

View attachment Kick to Midi Snare example.mp3 Audio to Midi.jpg

Just for fun, I converted your kick MP3 to an MTPDK kick track. Try it and see if it works. The whole track was "converted" so hopefully the timing is OK. I didn't do the snare as it will take a bit of work to get the transients set properly.

Attachments

• damian Kick MTPDK.mp3
    6.3 MB
Last edited:
Here's the Snare processed. You'll probably note that the dynamics aren't the same. I didn't try to match velocities to the original levels. It does look like all the beats are there, and I checked to make sure both files line up to the originals.

Attachments

• Damian Snare MTPDK.mp3
    6.2 MB
Back