Windows media player does't play 24 bits

nononsense!

Windows media player does't play 24 bits audio.

I use WMP 9. I know Winamp plays 24 bits audio but I don't want to use an extra program for this simple thing.

I know there are other threads about this but if you read them carefully nobody had a real simple solution for this problem.

In all these years...Is there a simple solution?

Did you unzip the file and place it in C:\Windows\System32\?

You may also have to do this:

1. Once it is in \System32 folder...
2. Right-click the file
3. Then scroll up and find "regsvr32.exe"
4. Right-click "regsvr32.exe" and click "Paste"
5. A message box should pop up saying it was registered.

Yes, I did all that, I did the registration part.
Nobody knows the solution various threads confirm that. But there are some people who have a working Windows xp installation that does play 24 bits in windows media player. But it is not clear WHY a certain configuration works if it does.

I seem to have WMP version 10 on my 24 bits system.
I also installed xp codec pack 2.3, it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone else a solution?

My 16 bit system did play wav files without doing anything.

But 24 bit aiff files don't play, and indeed I always use aiff files.

Just dump WMP and go with Winamp.
I enjoy the Winamp small window and the fact it can play more media types.
Also, the Pacemaker plug-in is very cool. Speed and key changing AND you can configure to remember such changes next time you play a file.

Just dump WMP and go with Winamp.
I enjoy the Winamp small window and the fact it can play more media types.
Also, the Pacemaker plug-in is very cool. Speed and key changing AND you can configure to remember such changes next time you play a file.

Totally. WMP is superbloatware next to Winamp.

Oh, you didn't say you were using AIFF files, I assumed you were using WAV. That explains why these solutions didn't work for you. :D

I'd just use Winamp then if you can't find a 24-bit AIFF codec. You can set it as the default player for mp3's, wavs, AIFF's, and other audio formats.

Windows media player does't play 24 bits audio.

I use WMP 9. I know Winamp plays 24 bits audio but I don't want to use an extra program for this simple thing.

I know there are other threads about this but if you read them carefully nobody had a real simple solution for this problem.

In all these years...Is there a simple solution?

lol. Figures. You'd think that years ago they'd throw that in.

The Combined-Community-Codec-Pack-2008-01-24 doesn't work with the 24 bits aiff.

Foobar doesn't work with 24 bits wav files.

Winamp looks very strange and irritating even more irritating then WMP.

I am going to write an email to the software writer of media player classic and ask him 2 things.

1. Why doesn't it play 24 bits aiff?
2. Why ísn't it possible like in WMP to select a list of mediafiles and then open them all at the same time, as a list. So that the list is immediately visible in the media player.

Winamp looks very strange and irritating even more irritating then WMP.
Have Winamp in Classic "compact" ... just the controls - Play, Stop, etc.. and file name
on my home PC, it's a 2" high by 3" wide in the bottom left corner.
The Pacemaker plugin takes up the bottom right corner.
The visualizations are useless .. and I turn them off

Foobar doesn't work with 24 bits wav files.

I am going to write an email to the software writer of media player classic and ask him 2 things.

1. Why doesn't it play 24 bits aiff?
2. Why ísn't it possible like in WMP to select a list of mediafiles and then open them all at the same time, as a list. So that the list is immediately visible in the media player.

Foobar does work with 24 bit wav files. I use it here for 24 bit files and it works fine for me on Windows XP Pro. Not sure if you're specifically talking about just aiff files, or wav or both. 24 bit wav files WILL play in Foobar.

Good luck with the email. You're talking about Microsoft Windows Media Player? Good luck.

Back