windows 8 problem

jimistone

long standing member
I'm trying to upload a song to soundcloud to post in the mp3-mixing-clinic clinic. I'm on my daughter's laptop and it has windows 8 which I know nothing about.
I have the song I n a cr and the computer opens it in windows media player. The question is how do I make a file out of it that will upload to sound cloud.
I am totally lost in this computer and my daughter is out of town.
My laptop crashed.

Thanks man. I figured it out. The ripping wasn't ...the problem was figuring out how to locate windows media player.
I hate windows 8. That much I know for sure now. All this touch screen crap. It's the 9th circle of hell.

On a touch screen, I love it. One thing to remember with 8, you ca either find the app in the app section or just do a search and pin it if you use it a lot. I've set up my live recording Laptop with two apps on the charms screen.

Maybe I am too much a MS fanboy, but I kind of like it and on the touch screen and on a phone, works very well. Just takes a little getting use to, but that has been the case with every MS OS upgrade. Some more than others. :D

If you use XP I don't see how you wouldn't find Windows 7 just so much more superior. It's like XP, just better. And faster. And easier to use. And more powerful. And better looking.

It's just...better.

Cheers :)

I'll stick with Windows XP for the foreseeable.

If it ain't broke......:thumbs up:

You know I'm a mac guy but if I had to use windows I'd go XP.
I think they should have stuck with the 9x/XP layout.

As DM said, MS upgrades generally take some getting used to.
Most of the computer users I know are not one bit interested in getting used to something.

You know I'm a mac guy but if I had to use windows I'd go XP.
I think they should have stuck with the 9x/XP layout.

As DM said, MS upgrades generally take some getting used to.
Most of the computer users I know are not one bit interested in getting used to something.

Its very easy to set up Windows 7 to look like Win 2000/XP. Its probably pretty easy to do so with Windows 8.1 also, but I cant swear to that since I'm not using it yet.

I still run XP on a few machines but only because they are just too old & slow for anything newer. In terms of security (viruses), Windows 7 and 8 are just light years better than XP. Its really pretty much impossible to get a virus in Windows 7 unless you give the virus permission to install itself.

I am coming to terms with Win 7 but it still bugs me. ...Like...
Why can't I have files listed as "when modified", i.e. last in at the bottom?

And has anybody EVER got W7 to find new hardware? I have 2 towers and a laptop and in several years I have never got the OS to find kit. With XP you had the very useful "have you installed the device yet?" Then you tick the box and reboot and then (usually) XP finds the gizmo!

Why can't 7 do same?

Dave.

I am coming to terms with Win 7 but it still bugs me. ...Like...
Why can't I have files listed as "when modified", i.e. last in at the bottom?

And has anybody EVER got W7 to find new hardware? I have 2 towers and a laptop and in several years I have never got the OS to find kit. With XP you had the very useful "have you installed the device yet?" Then you tick the box and reboot and then (usually) XP finds the gizmo!

Why can't 7 do same?

Dave.

Windows 7 is absolutely plug & play, with a lot more built in drivers and better USB support than XP. I have no idea why you might be having a problem with that.

Windows 7 is absolutely plug & play, with a lot more built in drivers and better USB support than XP. I have no idea why you might be having a problem with that.

I concur. Never a problem for me.

I don't particularly like the Windows 8 interface (I'm in the process of setting up a new general purpose laptop on it) but I have no intention of switching back to Desktop view all the time once I've got it up and running... just seems like you access everything from a huge list of "shortcuts" on the Start screen to me.. not so hard (famous last words...:D)

I agree. Plug and Play FOR WHAT IT KNOWS! But plug in a device it does not know such as the ***** phone I wanted to sync up a week ago and it sulks.
Might be just me but I seem to recall that XP tried harder?

Any advice on file listings?

Aw! FFS, WHAT is wrong with N.O.K.I.A?

Dave.

If you go into folder view in Explorer, under ->tools->Folder Options Tab View, or click on a folder and choose details, there you get to arrange your folder details layout in many way. The last is probably what you want to look at, and make sure you change your view to details.

Just for the record, I don't have a problem with Windows 7/8. I have 7 on a laptop for general Internet bullshit. Windows 8, touchscreen and all that jazz I find too annoying. I just dislike the workflow of it. Although I could make 8 act like 7.

My issues with 7 are that it doesn't like my recording PC. I've instslled 7 on it all couple of times and although the PC spec is good enough I get pops, clicks and farts with all audio. Which I can only pinpoint is down to a shared IRQ that I could never resolve.

But my ancient XP machine is sweet. I can record over 30 tracks comfortably and I hardly ever need that many. I have no need to buy a new machine. This Dinosaur will see me going for a long while yet.

:thumbs up:

Just for the record, I don't have a problem with Windows 7/8. I have 7 on a laptop for general Internet bullshit. Windows 8, touchscreen and all that jazz I find too annoying. I just dislike the workflow of it. Although I could make 8 act like 7.

My issues with 7 are that it doesn't like my recording PC. I've instslled 7 on it all couple of times and although the PC spec is good enough I get pops, clicks and farts with all audio. Which I can only pinpoint is down to a shared IRQ that I could never resolve.

But my ancient XP machine is sweet. I can record over 30 tracks comfortably and I hardly ever need that many. I have no need to buy a new machine. This Dinosaur will see me going for a long while yet.

:thumbs up:

That is so strange. I've never really known any issues with 7. I take it the equipment in question is pretty old? I do remember on the way back machine when you use to have to jumper the IRQ and address and that would cause computer not to boot. But after it became OS controlled, those issues started going away.

I can only think that the hardware has a limited range and the OS can't resolve the conflict. There is limited control the user has on IRQ settings anymore. There might be a hack out there, but I haven really researched.

But if it works for you, then, no real reason to upgrade until you upgrade the interface, then you may be forced too.

The PC is a P4 2.8gHz. So it's aged but not ancient. The soundcard is M-Audio Audiophile 2496. There is no real reason why it shouldn't work. But even playing an mp3 is full of pops and glitches.

Ironically, a friend of mine who I helped set up a little recording station has the exact same PC, except it's a P3. Everything else is identical. Acquired from the same place. Same soundcard installed in the same slot. (The only slot) His is running Win7 flawlessly. But there's no shared IRQ on that machine.

7 runs nicely on my machine but the audio doesn't like it. I don't want to change soundcard yet. I like my 2496. I've had it for over 10 yrs and it's never given me a reason to quit. I had a US800 for a while, primarily for recording drums (now sold) but I always prefered my preamps into the 2496.

And.....if it ain't broke. :thumbs up:

Back