Will wrong adaptor kill my 414 mkII?

adrianhouse

Just read the following in my owner's manual: "use only the provided PS-P414 AC adaptor. Using any other adaptor will cause damage to the 414 MKII...":eek:
I don't have this, have another kind of 12V adaptor. Will it really cause damage, or is this just Tascam trying to scare you into buying theirs?

Just read the following in my owner's manual: "use only the provided PS-P414 AC adaptor. Using any other adaptor will cause damage to the 414 MKII...":eek:
I don't have this, have another kind of 12V adaptor. Will it really cause damage, or is this just Tascam trying to scare you into buying theirs?

I don't see why you couldn't get away with using a different one. If the unit was still under warranty, I would certainly find another Tascam adapter, just in case. Otherwise, just make sure whatever you decide to use matches the correct positive/ground configuration at the plug, proper voltage, and the same or slightly higher amperage. If you use one that doesn't put out enough amperage, it is possible you could fry something.

I WOULD NOT USE another adapter. I killed a Tascam Porta 07 using a different adapter as well as a large snowman christmas ornamant. So Im 2 for 2 killing electronics using the wrong plug. Thats my opinion...

I WOULD NOT USE another adapter. I killed a Tascam Porta 07 using a different adapter as well as a large snowman christmas ornamant. So Im 2 for 2 killing electronics using the wrong plug. Thats my opinion...
Were they they same voltage and polarity?

I have no idea. But they both "looked" similar to the original ones. And they both fried the item they were trying to power. As in adrianhouse's situation it seems he's not sure if the plugs he wants to use will work. I would not even try them UNLESS you are VERY SURE.
I dont know maybe I just had bad luck but it goes to show you that it CAN happen. adrianhouse will have to decide if he wants to risk it or definatly verify that they WILL work...

I have no idea. But they both "looked" similar to the original ones. And they both fried the item they were trying to power. As in adrianhouse's situation it seems he's not sure if the plugs he wants to use will work. I would not even try them UNLESS you are VERY SURE.

AFAIK there are three basic configurations for a wall-wart. AC, and two polarities of DC (centre positive and centre negative). With the DC ones, you'll get a little diagram on the equipment and PSU which looks a bit like this:

---(o---

...basically, a small circle representing the centre of the plug, a curve representing the outer layer, and a line denoting the polarity. Sometimes only the centre has a line. At the end of the centre's line will be a symbol denoting if the centre of the plug is positive (+) or negative (-). If the voltage is the same, and the polarity is the same, it should work, or at least not damage it.

If you get the polarity wrong, you could damage the device, depending if and how well it's protected. The Waldorf Microwave XT was very bad for this and IIRC, reversing it would fry the motherboard completely.

Some devices use 9v AC, particularly budget preamps which need to generate 48v for Phantom Power. Putting 9v DC into that would be bad, and you wouldn't want to put 9v AC into something that wasn't expecting it either.

In summary, you probably don't want to risk it unless you're sure you know what you're doing.

Last edited:
Ok guys here's the sit:
The one I have is an "all in one" AC/DC adaptor, where you can switch to different voltages and polarity. So it's on 12V now. On the machine it says "DC in 12V", under which is a diagram that looks kinda like this:
- o) +
The adaptor can be switched to look like that, but upside down, or:
+ (o - except there's a black dot in the middle of the o.

I tried it the other day bc. was impatient, and had the switch one way, and nothing happened. Then when I switched it to the opposite it powered up fine, it seemed. I only let that happen for a second and turned it off.
But I'm scared after reading the warning in the manual, and reading the above posts (though maybe frying a "large snowman Christmas ornament" would be kinda fun :D). If anyone out there could tell me for sure that the one I have is or is not ok, it'd be much appreciated :).
Thanks,
Adrian

I have no idea. But they both "looked" similar to the original ones.
Well therein lies the problem.

Polarity of the prongs and the current rating on the wall-wart are very specific pieces of information. One is easy to figure out- the other is usually stamped on the case of the wall-wart.

your concerns are....

1. is it ac or dc...

2.the voltage...

3.amperage.... is it able to supply more current than the unit requires... more than 50% over is probably a waste...

4.polarity... is the pin pos or neg assuming it's a dc unit... ac doesn't have polarity...

5. the size of the connector... try to find one that fits kinda snug but not need to force it... conversely one too loose can cause problems...

should not need to be a tascam eve if warrantee becomes an issue... they're screwin with your head...

Ok, still a bit confused. It is an AC adaptor. I wrote to the seller and he said this:
Dear houseadrian,

We did a couple of commercial radio jingles on it with no problems, but I would try to get the original if your doing lengthly projects like CD albums.
The original A/C adaptor puts out more power (600 milliamps).
The universal only puts out 300 which means the universal adaptor won't last that long since it's straining to power the portastudio.
---
-any thoughts on this? My main concern is not damaging the unit. Wish he'd told me this stuff before I bought it :mad:.

adrianhouse said:
The original A/C adaptor "puts out" (600 milliamps).
If this is true, then you need an AC-to-DC adaptor:
Input: (what's in your wall) - 120 VAC 60Hz
Output: 12 VDC minimum 600 mA (you may get away with 500mA, maybe, but better not to experiment)
Connector: Tip Negative, Sleeve Positive.
My guess is that this adaptor is unregulated (inside that box you have a transformer, rectifier diodes (bridge), electrolytic capacitor and maybe a resistor or two. but I can not be for sure what is it exactly.
Picture is attached (from that photo, I can not read how much current it is rated ...XXXmA???):
/later

Attachments

• pc_p414.jpg
    pc_p414.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 133
I think I blew out a few channels on a few Porta 02's by using a 414 adaptor, so...

Even though I'm generally in agreement with the "wisdom" on this thread, I think the hazard is using an over rated supply with more amps might kill the unit on power-up with surge power into the unit.

At least two Porta 02's and an MF-P01 I had received blew out channels on power up when using a PS-P414 to test them. I could see the channels surge on power up, the ~poof~ didn't work. That's anecdotal evidence at best, but it's all I'm going on.

The current ouptut on the PS-P414 is 650ma, (12VDC).

I'd say use what you have in a pinch, but make sure it matches the official supply as exactly as possible. Use the proper Tascam p/s when possible and heed the warnings in the manuals.:eek:;)

Out of my depth

Hey guys,
thanks for the advice. Wish I knew more about this stuff, :confused: a little out of my depth. From what I gather, the one I have, 300mA, won't hurt the unit (but it might hurt the adaptor if I use it a lot???)???
Dr. Zee - yes mine is an AC/DC adaptor. I think your picture says 650mA. Actually just reading what you wrote: "(you may get away with 500mA, maybe, but better not to experiment)" - so you'd advise against the 300mA one I have?
But then A REel Person says that too much power is bad. Confused :o:(:confused:!
Maybe I should just shell out the $50 :eek: to order the proper adaptor (but don't want to unless need to). Thanks again,
Adrian:)

If I know 100% for sure what exactly the original Tascam adaptor is, then I could advise you for sure, but since I don't , I can't do that. My guess was that it's unregulated, I may be wrong. I think you could use something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-DC-Adaptor-6-Universal-Plug-500mA-1-5-to-12-VDC_W0QQitemZ140084880180, I can not be sure, though
here are examples where you can get the Tascam one for under 50 bucks:
http://stores.nationalmusicsupply.com/Items/tascam-psp414 $16
http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=4697 $20
http://www.nextinstrument.com/by-manufacturer/tascam/gigastudio/tascam-psp414.html $35
search by name / model google or something
I don't understand Dave's (A Reel Person's) theory, so can't say anything about it :)

/respects

My experience tells me this:

Too little current and a nominal signal tends to fuzz out and distort.
Too much current, and you risk damaging the electronics from current surge at power on. 650ma is what it specifies for the 414mkII. I'd hesitate to use a 1000ma rated power supply for the above stated reasons, but you might get away with it.:eek:;)

ssheeeess...

1. there's no regulation in an adaptor....

2. never use an underrated adaptor... although slightly unlikely it can when it blows (and it will eventually blow) send AC to the unit... al the way up 12V ....
Dont do it....

3. absolutely NO harm can come from an adaptor that is rated higher than necessary in terms of amps.... period....that inrush idea is bullshit!!!

ssheeeess...

2. never use an underrated adaptor... although slightly unlikely it can when it blows (and it will eventually blow) send AC to the unit... al the way up 12V ....
Dont do it....

3. absolutely NO harm can come from an adaptor that is rated higher than necessary in terms of amps.... period....that inrush idea is bullshit!!!

I have heard this to be true from my electronics tech as well.:)

ssheeeess...

Dont do it....

Ok. So to get this straight:
1) Using the adaptor I now have, 300 mA for the unit rated at 600 mA could really mess up the unit at some point by "sending AC to the unit". But I thought it was AC already?
2) If I got something that was, eg. 800 mA, it wouldn't do the unit any harm?

If this is true the seller is going to get negative feedback from me for giving me this adaptor that can harm the unit.
Thanks a lot for all your comments - man I'm so ignorant about this stuff :)

Adrian

Back