Will a 60 watt solid state amp rated at 4ohms work with a 300 watt 4×10 bass cab rated at 8ohms?

No. The electrical signal the speakers see could be 'called' a load.

The Ohm rating is important to the system as whole.

Even on a tube amp, like ones with a 4/16 ohm switch, the amp makes sound in either switch position. Same as a solid state makes sound anyways.

Things are rated for best use. Those rating are in the manual.

I totally wasn't trying to have an argument started. The cabinet is getting delivered Friday. I will plug it in an let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for all the help and info. I will definitely keep it mind on my next throw together experiments.
Don't worry about it. You'll get your cab, hook it up and know for yourself soon enough. Post your results. I'd like to hear how it works out for you.

There are rack devices made that flip the impedance from the base to something else ,and mimic real actual cabinets. I believe they too use dummy load resistors.

They correct this actual topic.

The Ampulator? or something there is a couple of them.

Under EXTERNAL SPEAKER...It also says ' speakerS' with an S at the end. 'S" is Two or more. Two 8 ohm cabinets would be 4 ohms.

Bunch a jibba jabba..

d148a162ec42e228c2c102e271fad235.jpg

Under EXTERNAL SPEAKER...It also says ' speakerS' with an S at the end. 'S" is Two or more. Two 8 ohm cabinets would be 4 ohms.

Bunch a jibba jabba..
If you want to get stupid about it, a single 4x12 cabinet has four speakerS in it...

IIRC, the Ampulator was a power amp and speaker emulator.

The only thing I know of that will change the impedance of a cabinet is something like a Weber Z-Matcher. But that is used for when you want to use two cabinets that don't have the same impedance. Say you have a 16 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab that you want to use together, if you set the amp for 4 ohms (if it's a tube amp) you won't blow the amp up, but the 8 ohm cab with be much louder than the other one. You use this device to bring the 16 ohm cab down to 8 ohms, so both cabs get the same power.

Bunch a jibba jabba..
Nah, it's just a reference to speakers in general. It's not saying multiple speakers are required. The only prohibition is on loads below 2 ohms, which is consistent with solid state amps in general. You could connect to to a load of 1000 ohms and it would be fine, just really quiet.

Well with a few shipping delays it finally arrived. I have to say I am very impressed with the sound and volume wasn't lacking at all. It sounded much like my Peavey 112 transtube with that cab. Thanks for your input guys.

If anyone is interested in a deep dive into guitar speakers, this video has a lot of information. Even speaks to the differences between bass speakers and guitar. Good stuff to know if you are a guitar player.

1 hr? Come on dude hit the major points.. 10 minutes for the differences in speaker is all you need.

Again, looking into the camera is a confrontation. Look above the camera. You are telling me something informational, not accusing me of something. In any speech class I was in, you are told to look at the tops of the peoples heads...and imagine them in their underwear.

You see any movies or TV or infomercials where they look in the camera? I don't.

Maybe US folk don't do confrontation? However, it is broadcast training 101 to look into the lens. That is how every single broadcaster, college and university course and training facility teach it. To NOT look at the camera removes honesty, trustworthiness and of course the other vital communication tool - one to one. If you were told to look at the top of the head, they were wrong - absolutely and utterly wrong. It is not confrontational, it's personal and polite and makes the audience think the person speaking is talking to them - looking anywhere else makes you a passenger to a group conversation. That is why autocue were invented so the person speaking looks into the lens, and they're taught that this is the only way to do it. In fact, autocue above or below the eye line make the viewer feel awkward and uncomfortable. EVERY news or info broadcast make eye contact. Movies don't because it breaks the 4th wall - Movie actors are talking to each other, the cameras are interlopers. Videos on YouTube should be one to one, and they need to loom down the lens. It's communication, not art.

I was taught look at the top of the head in public speaking. Youtube wasn't invented in AV class yet , but we were told to look above the camera. Into the camera is confrontational.

Just like speech class, you would only make eye contact on important points to your target focus.

Not to stare it down.

Not to refuse to blink for some unnatural reason..

1 hr? Come on dude hit the major points.. 10 minutes for the differences in speaker is all you need.

Again, looking into the camera is a confrontation. Look above the camera. You are telling me something informational, not accusing me of something. In any speech class I was in, you are told to look at the tops of the peoples heads...and imagine them in their underwear.

You see any movies or TV or infomercials where they look in the camera? I don't.
What do you want me to do about that? I'm not about to edit it for you. Knowledge is not always instant. I've got some small tube amps but need to start putting together some cabs and found the information valuable as I pick drivers for them.

You know what is confusing about speakers?

The speaker says on the warning label DO NOT EXCEED WATTAGE, but the how-to-books say to double the wattage. That could be confusing to some people.

Screenshot 2021-03-31 162032.jpg

As much as l like Sweetwater, that's total BS. It doesn't REQUIRE twice the power. You can put a 200 watt speaker on a Princeton Reverb with a massive 12-15 watts. You just won't burn out the voice coil. It will still work, and depending on the sensitivity of the speaker, may be just as loud as a 20 watt speaker.

I think the trend to do this is because there was a time when the research into failed voice coils determine that the presence of distortion speeded up failure - so a more powerful amp running at less than it's maximum would have lower distortion products and have less impact on the speakers. I don't think the idea was ever that you actually drive a 700W capable amp at full power into a speaker rated at half that. Other people of course reversed this - maintaining that squirting twice as much level is clearly damaging. Both camps believed they were right. This also ignores all the stuff about RMS, Peak, Continuous and Programme power. I think I like the car analogy. A big engine that never gets stressed in a small car is better than a big car with underpowered engine thrashing itself to death ....... I think?

My current PA has a physical limit of three cabinets attached to each other - 3 x 8 Ohm cabinets with loop through parallel wired cables - My old amps had a 4 Ohm limit - so I got some 2 Ohm capable ones - 2 x 1500W into 2 Ohms but the RMS power of each one has a max rating of 800W (it states 3200W Peak!). This means using the lowest figures, the 3 cabinets would handle up to 2400W - more than the amps can provide, so in the end, I doubled up the amps - so I can go to 4 a side, wired top two to one channel and bottom two to the other amp channel - then another amp on the other side. Using one amp to drive 3 sounded rougher than two amps into 3 (or 4) Using three a side physically works better - and the balanced sound with two on one and one on the other is set using the amp gain controls.

The upshot is that I simply don't know if it's better to have more powerful amps than the speakers, or vice versa? My feeling is you'd need to have pretty distorted audio - that you would hear, surely, before you damaged the speakers with too small and amp, but a big amp could easily pop out the voice coil with a big snare or kick hit?

I don't think there has ever been an answer with real evidence behind it - just lots of opinion and the lack of damage used as proof?

Bloody hell! Lot of vitriol flying around here. One problem with amps and loads is that there are two distinct types of amplifier in the guitar world (where I might claim a tiny bit of experience?) valves and transistors*.

Valve OP stages (gitamps) have a relatively high source impedance. An AC30 say might have an 8R tapping but its OPZ is closer to 30 Ohms. This has quite an effect on how the amp delivers power to a speaker. Valve must never be run into an open circuit and it is best to stay within one 'move' of 'mismatch' (though we don't ever 'match' anything in audio) So, set amp to 4R and hook an 8R speaker. Pretty safe even if you drive the bllxs off the amp. BUT! Some designs are rather feeble and you might damage valves and, in rare cases OP transformer. 4R into 16R is even less safe but again, power matter. For home plinking/a tune up, no harm. Running a valve OP stage into a LOWER load, 16R tap into 4R, worst case will not destroy the amp but again, high volumes can cause red plating, fuses to pop an possible valve failure. N.B. Not ALL valve amps have HT fuses (get 'em fitted!) and so valves easily be buggered.

Big, 50W+ fixed biased valve amps tend to use a bit of Negative Feedback and this lowers the OPZ but even so it is rarely less than 10 Ohms so load will still influence 'tone' to a degree.

Transistor OP stages are the opposite. They are happy to drive any load (but not an open circuit) so long as it is at or above the stated minimum, usually 4R but some older tranny amps might state an 8R minimum. If a sstate amp has jacks available to connect a speaker then one can assume it is protected to a degree from low loading and shorts but don't bet on it! Extended drive into a lower than minimum load can cause slow heating and a sudden 'thermal runaway'. Might just pop a fuse. Usually forks 18 transistors.
Tranny amps USUALLY have a near zero OP resistance but some guitar amp designs have used feedback to attempt to emulate the OPZ of valves.

Doubling the load on a tranny amp will not halve the power because most use unregulated supplies so the lower current demand means the available voltage will be a bit higher. An amp rated at "100W into 4 Ohms" can be expected to deliver 70-80W into 8R...But! Just the fact of rating the power output of amplifiers is a discussion all of its own!

Power rating of speakers is again fraught. For a valve amp the speaker should be rated at at least 50% over the stated amp power, better 100% because valves do not have a 'sudden death' clip point, they keep putting out power at ever increasing distortion. Note too that many speaker brands are very 'optimistic' and punchy about their ratings. I find Celestion tend to be conservative. Put a 60W celly in a 50W valve amp and you are unlikely to break it. Other makes, not to sure.

There is BTW a simple formula for SPL (at 1mtr) ref watts: SPL= Log W.10+s where W is power in watts and 's' is the sensitivity of the speaker shown as "dB/W/mtr" That is a VERY rough ball park calculation but does give you a starting point.

I do not subscribe to the 'massive OTT power into lower rated speakers idea for anything. If you are designing a PA system for a given venue say, you first decide on the SPL you need at the punters bum positions. That tells you the SPL needed 1mtr from the speaker and thus you look for speakers that can deliver that, their sound quality will be decided by budget. The chosen speakers will have a sensitivity and from that you can determine the power output needed. Nice to have a bit of headroom but even just 3dB is another amp! Pricey.

*Class "D" amplifiers tend to be very load sensitive i.e. power fall off very quickly outside rated load, usually 4 Ohms.

Just my conclusions garnered over a few decades.

BE NICE TO EACH OTHER!

Dave.

Last edited:
For a valve amp the speaker should be rated at at least 50% over the stated amp power, better 100% because valves do not have a 'sudden death' clip point, they keep putting out power at ever increasing distortion.
Could you provide any references for this recommendation? Screen clip from a book or database?

My guitar cabinets are matched in rating. Or close to. The EL34 100/100watt block has 1960A cabinet and B with G12T-75's. 4x75watt speakers loaded x 2. My EL84 20/20 marshall is 20 watts and has 20 watt green backs loaded G12M? or whatever they are...

The speakers react perfectly to me.

My Pa has 150 watts 15" speakers, and an amp that pushes 275 watt RMS. Following the Sweetwater guide , it sounds nice.

Last edited:
Back