Why is metal dead?

Origin , Mastodon , Burnt by the Sun , Soilent Green , Nile , ...attention here are a few of the new metal elite,but your probobly too afraid to listen

wow you guys realy brought back some very good old memories, i had to dig out my old cassete tapes after hearing some of the old metal bands listed on here. overkill was so awesome still love them.anyone remember malice and grimreaper. man those were the good days. i can remember being in high school and working a part time job washing dishes with this other metal head and the cool thing was that we did most of the dishes after everyone had left so wed crank the metal (either malice or grim reaper) and wed smoke a few pipes and realy rock lol. miss those days. as far as my opinion on metal, i believe metal is the greatest music ever created it generates so much emotion and if it generates emotion how can you say it has no soul? but im not hear to argue just wanted to share some old memories with some metal head friends on here. thanks guys tim pate. god bless, p.s. help metal live by wrighting it listening to it and living it.

flash2ace said:
wow you guys realy brought back some very good old memories, i had to dig out my old cassete tapes after hearing some of the old metal bands listed on here. overkill was so awesome still love them.anyone remember malice and grimreaper. man those were the good days. i can remember being in high school and working a part time job washing dishes with this other metal head and the cool thing was that we did most of the dishes after everyone had left so wed crank the metal (either malice or grim reaper) and wed smoke a few pipes and realy rock lol. miss those days. as far as my opinion on metal, i believe metal is the greatest music ever created it generates so much emotion and if it generates emotion how can you say it has no soul? but im not hear to argue just wanted to share some old memories with some metal head friends on here. thanks guys tim pate. god bless, p.s. help metal live by wrighting it listening to it and living it.

That's really cool, I used to crank Megadeth while I washed dishes late at night at the movie theater that I worked at in high school. Thanks for bring back those memories with your post:)

clif

Q : What after "Nu-Metal" ?

A : "Morron-Metal".

Q : ...have you ever heard "Death Metal" ?

A: that's whay Metal dies... :eek:

You dudes rock!!!
Grunge didnt kill Metal, Grunge killed the Hair bands and thank God for that. Metal survives!!! The Hair bands ended the classic Metal era...Poison can rot in hell for that!!! The Crue were metal, then they started all the hair bands, then when they saw what they did they went blues rock instead.
Lets not forget MOTORHEAD!!!!
All these little kids today think that they are punk??? Motorhead combined punk and speed metal before most of todays bands were BORN!!!

No form of music is ever dead. Perhaps they dont shake the comercial corporate giant or stir social frenzies in the same way, but every single style that ever was, is at least cast into history and will preserve a following. Big band and swing are not exactly in their hayday, but still it lives. No art form, or its style can be killed. I can hardly accept that the validation of something being alive or dead must be determined by its revenue or social popularity.

Music, as with any art form, is subject to a certain amount of evolutionary modification. The public establishes the lables and casts particular styles as "metal" or "country" or whatever. I think that when the lables are tossed aside most artists (us included) play what we feel. However we need to, or listeners need to determine the "genre" we play.

Mainstream capitalism will always dictate the vitality of any form. Mainstream capitalism including MTV, Grammies, Radio or Movies. The almighty dollar certainly can not be the true evaluation for the endurance of music or any art.

In the philosophy that man has created his own gods..... no god can ever be dead as long as one man retains his faith.

Metal isn't dead. It's just that coked up construction workers are hitting hard times and can't buy as many CD's as they used to.

TexRoadkill said:
Metal isn't dead. It's just that coked up construction workers are hitting hard times and can't buy as many CD's as they used to.

He he! That's really funny!.....Heeyyy wait a minute.....!

:)

King Elvis said:
You dudes rock!!!
Grunge didnt kill Metal, Grunge killed the Hair bands and thank God for that. Metal survives!!! The Hair bands ended the classic Metal era...Poison can rot in hell for that!!! The Crue were metal, then they started all the hair bands, then when they saw what they did they went blues rock instead.
Lets not forget MOTORHEAD!!!!
All these little kids today think that they are punk??? Motorhead combined punk and speed metal before most of todays bands were BORN!!!
Although we probably share a lot of interest in bands (Saxon, Maiden, Priest, Overkill, Slayer, etc.) I must say that there were a lot of cool hair bands. Someone on this board talked about 3 waves (Voxvendor, was that you?). The first wave consisting of rock/sleeze bands that later on became more poppy (like Ratt, Quiet Riot and Crue), 2nd wave= more melodic stuff (Bon Jovi, Dokken), 3rd wave= the big ass posers (Winger, Danger Danger...)
I like the 1st and 2nd wave, but I never cared for the 3rd one.
I think 1st wave spans 1981-1984, 2nd=1984-1987, 3rd 1987-1991. 1991 is the death of hair metal. Then grunge came.

jimistone said:
its like they are trying to see who can't fit the most notes in a bar of music...thats why alot of people say there is no soul in metal. myself, i think string benders like albert king and SRV had alot more soul to there playing than shreaders. anyone can learn scales and neck tapping but not everyone can bend strings and make a guitar sing the blues. there is no way to get that style down right if you don't have a feel for it...not really a "chart" or tab to go by.

its all ear and feel.

The only real problem with Metal is the stereotype placed on it. What you just described is how every non-metal person views this type of music. There is a whole side of metal that most of you dissenters either totally forgot about or didn't know existed. Black Sabbath did not shred. Solace did not shred. Down did not shred. Sugartooth did not shred. Diamond Head did not shred. Trouble did not shred. AC/DC does not shred. What these guys had was heavy slabs of groove. If "Highway to Hell", "Back in Black", "War Pigs", "Curse of the Pharoahs", "Sweat Leaf", "Am I Evil", "Crash Course in Brain Surgery".. fuck.. even Kiss's "Cold Gin" doesn't have groove, then me and a whole generation of punters must be living in a different universe.

Nothing happened to metal. It just got away from the focus of MTV. And good thing too. I didn't like it when the populace jumped on the metal bandwagon anymore than when congressman endorsed Ozzy.

Like it was said in a previous post, metal isn't dead. You have to find it.

Someone needs to change the name of this post to "why is shredding dead".

Cy

VOXVENDOR said:
I Love metal and I love grunge equally.... I laugh when people say grunge sucks cause it killed metal......
Joe

And that's another thing.

I think it's funny when fans of grunge piss all over metal (and vice versa). Soundgarden wouldn't have existed if it were not for Sabbath. Ever see Alice in Chains just before "Facelift" was released? They were metal! In fact "Badmotorfinger", "Facelift", "Dirt", and Stone Temple Pilots "Core" are so damn metal that they are often included in underground metal station playlists.

In fact, some band members of grunge hobnobbed with band members of metal! Metallica were friends with Alice. Rumour has it that Dave Mustaine and Maynard James Keenan from Tool were roommates at one time.

Godsmack started as an Alice cover band. They have been carrying the metal torch that Alice dropped after "Dirt". Stick Sabbath's "Master of Reality" in between Godsmacks two albums and you have a metal sandwich.

I think the problem goes right back to the term "metal". No one wants to be called "metal" because it puts them in the negative light of 80s hairmetal with hopped up guitar solos. So they throw it into this "nu-metal" category which is interchangeable with "mediocre radio friendly heavy rock sans guitar solos plus angst".

Ct

Speeddemon said:
Although we probably share a lot of interest in bands (Saxon, Maiden, Priest, Overkill, Slayer, etc.) I must say that there were a lot of cool hair bands. Someone on this board talked about 3 waves (Voxvendor, was that you?). The first wave consisting of rock/sleeze bands that later on became more poppy (like Ratt, Quiet Riot and Crue), 2nd wave= more melodic stuff (Bon Jovi, Dokken), 3rd wave= the big ass posers (Winger, Danger Danger...)
I think 1st wave spans 1981-1984, 2nd=1984-1987, 3rd 1987-1991. 1991 is the death of hair metal. Then grunge came.

Ohh come on! I love how Kip Winger is talanted enough to play eighth notes on an open E and belt out tunes like "She Only 17" heh heh heh heh now that is talent. (actually I own a few WInger CD's and seriously enjoy Reb Beach's solo on Heding for a HEartbreak)

clif

Speeddemon said:

You are right, and there are some bands that I like that are considered "hair bands" Ratt, Dokken, Crue, Cinderella. But, they really started to move away from classic metal and move more towards pop. Spandex replaced leather, they usually only had 1 guitarist. Now the guitarists were usually awsome, but to get that true sledgehammer groove going you had to have 2 guitarists. And what happened to harmony guitar playing, a key part of great metal. Nobody does it anymore. Shred didnt have anything to do with metal until Randy Rhoads came along. Back when they played metal Van Halen always insisted that they werent a metal band. And I'm sorry but...Bon Jovi never was, never has been and never will be metal!!! I dont care what MTV told you. Where the f*ck is Lemmy when you need him!!!!

Metal is one of the lowest forms of music....

just below country...

just above rap.

WATYF

:D

alice in chains was more or less a hair band before facelift, cyrokk-cross a glam band with like green jello, and that's kind of where they were. i have their pre-facelift demo, and while it's fun, i find glam to be more a bastardization of metal than anything else.

that said, i don't think metal is dead at all-but most of it has evolved in one direction or another. you have on one side the technical/black/melodic metal bands, who are often heavy on shred (many black metal bands are exceptions here-many of them are pretty ambient-doomy)-you have the pop side, "nu-metal", which i also consider a bastardization-i consider nu-metal like hair metal with a deeper sound and less makeup/hair treatment :D then you have metalcore, *core, math rock,etc, varying in technical complexity, with more focus on strongly emoting or telling people something. hardcore punk has all but been dissolved-the hardcore genre is filled with bands that take work like slayer did and make it harder, faster, weirder, and more universally meaningful to people, not just fun or badass. check out converge, the dillinger escape plan, hatebreed, between the buried and me, bloodjinn, haste, coalesce, curl up and die for some examples here of what my favorite current movement is in hard music.

metal hasn't disappeared-there are lots of great hard bands out there-but the scenery has changed somewhat. bands that are very emotional (like grunge was in many cases) have gotten more technical. there's so much out there that i'm glad to be into it in this day and age.

if you're wanting more of an oldschool metal sound, you'll have to look around carefully-some christian bands are doing some nice slayer/savatage-type stuff (think zao here) with lyrics that are not preachy, just impassioned.

metal died, and it is born again hard. enjoy it.

zer0sig said:

if you're wanting more of an oldschool metal sound, you'll have to look around carefully-some christian bands are doing some nice slayer/savatage-type stuff (think zao here) with lyrics that are not preachy, just impassioned.

I would like to check them out. Who are hey?

clif

Back