Whos is your favorite current Producer?

I've been really into Nick Raskulinecz produced stuff lately. Particularly his work on the most recent Alice in Chains and Deftones albums.
Alice in Chains was the first band I was obsessed with, so their comeback album needed to be great. And it was. His HUGE drum sound had a lot to do with the power of that entire production for me.
And I had never really been into the Deftones. I hated them actually. Until I heard Diamond Eyes. Again, the actual sound of that record is probably the reason I was able to pay attention to them as musicians.

The "producer" word is one that's pretty strange to define :p.

But, since you mentioned Skrillex I assume you mean those kinds of producers.
In that case, as of late I've been listening to quite of bit of deadmau5, Bandesnaci, and Kinetics.
I'm not really a dubstep d00d. Although, since I thoroughly enjoy sweet violin sounds, I think this is incredible!

The "producer" word is one that's pretty strange to define

True. Especially since every 13 year old who manages to record himself rapping 2 lines calls himself a "producah" these days.

True. Especially since every 13 year old who manages to record himself rapping 2 lines calls himself a "producah" these days.
It's strange. Butch Vig is a producer. Quincy Jones is a producer. P. Diddy is a producer. Rick Rubin is a producer. Armin van Buuren is a producer. I am a producer.
All of the above is technically true.
Anyone who has a part in creating (aka 'producing') music is a producer right?
But Bob Rock and Rick Ross are worlds apart. yet they are both producers. :facepalm: :wtf:

And lol @ producahs.
Have you ever youtubed "home studio tour" and seen the misinformed idiots there creating more misinformed idiots that think they're geniuses???

Last edited:
Steven Wilson. Produces a lot of his own stuff. Even produced a lot of Opeth's albums. and I'm sure eventually... THE WORLD! Mwuhahahahahaaaaaa! *cough*

I'm starting to like that violin girls, but most of all what I love most is the MUSIC.
Dubstep+Instrumentals=cool sound and good ambient. I'm bookmarking it. Thanks!

Because there are so many different types of producer, ranging from a person that engineers the stuff, through to a band member through to someone whose more of a man manager, it's hard to determine exactly who does what and the part each plays on each project !
Besides which, I'm blissfully out of touch with current producers. Most of the ones I know are either dead, deaf, in jail or doing the celebrity interview circuit.

I never pay any attention to who produced what. I don't care. I think knowing the name of the producer of an album is like knowing the name of the water boy of a sports team. Way too much emphasis is put on who produces someone's album or single.

I have to say I am a big fan of Chris Sheldon. He's produced a lot of my favourite albums e.g. Vertigo of Bliss by Biffy Clyro, Frames by Oceansize, Very Fast Very Dangerous by Reuben.

Oh Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree sure has a good ear.

Way too much emphasis is put on who produces someone's album or single.
For the most part, I'd go along with that. It's really hard to know exactly what sonic or artistic part a producer plays because they really do such different things from project to project.
Back "then" though, producers {or A&R men} seemed to be the big hands on guide without whom, etc......but now that people show more of an interest in how the records they loved actually came about, we learn more and more that the engineers were the real kingmakers and they virtually never got credit. Not many people have heard of Keith Harwood or Dave Hassinger or Jeff Jarratt or thousands like them.
I've felt for some time that way too much emphasis is put on songwriters and producers, whereas, for the most part, it's often been a team effort to create and tease out what we actually hear on our players.

I think producers screw things up more often than not. Let the band sound like the band. I always found it odd and counter-productive to bring in some outside guy to call the shots. - especially when they get into rearranging or rewriting songs. I could never stand for that. Just STFU and ride those faders, monkey.

I always found it odd and counter-productive to bring in some outside guy to call the shots. - especially when they get into rearranging or rewriting
Between the ages of 16 and 19, I was seriously thinking of becoming a journalist if I couldn't make it as a musician or footballer. I was quite enthused about journalism........until I heard about the editor ! Once I was aware of this figure that could leave out stuff I'd written, I lost interest almost immediately. Even when I used to think about being in bands, once I'd seen Jimmy Page's name as 'producer' on the back of Zeppelin records, I wanted to be in that situation where no one was going to dilute my stuff with their 'producer~ness'. :D

Between the ages of 16 and 19, I was seriously thinking of becoming a journalist if I couldn't make it as a musician or footballer. I was quite enthused about journalism........until I heard about the editor ! Once I was aware of this figure that could leave out stuff I'd written, I lost interest almost immediately. Even when I used to think about being in bands, once I'd seen Jimmy Page's name as 'producer' on the back of Zeppelin records, I wanted to be in that situation where no one was going to dilute my stuff with their 'producer~ness'. :D

That's how it should be IMO. I don't understand how bands can hand over complete control to some outsider just because of his name value or because some label makes them. I'll use my favorite band - the Ramones - again as an example. Their best, most classic albums were all done with them having a say in the production. And it's not just "their early stuff is better". They made albums into the 90's that were very good as long as they ran the show.

Yea there is no way I would want to work with a producer that was just looking for writing credits. But having said that I think there are some really good producers out there that do their job well, and that job is to nourish the creative enviroment, solve problems and know when to speak up and most of all know when to shut up!

I like Butch Vigs work.

Contrary to what some may think...producers are not some necessary evil, forced on willingness artists, who are there to screw up the sound of the artist.
Most producers are specifically sought after. That is the case with many big name artists who certainly could demand whatever they want.

It's only when a record company picks up a young/new band or artist who is rough around the edges and has NO clue of what to do in a studio or how to get from the first track to the final mix, that they will assign a producer to work with them where maybe the band/artist has no choice in picking.

These days you have a lot of people who like to say they are a "producer"...you get that often on the R&B/Rap side of the house. Everyone is a producer. :D
There are also producers who have been in the biz for many years as true producers, and who obviously make a living off it, and who have extensive client lists of artists who asked for them specifically because of their production style and ability to pull something special out of a recording project.
Off the top of my head...T-Bone Burnett, Daniel Lanois, Alan Parsons, Butch Vig....

No doubt. I don't think they're bad at all or even unnecessary. I just know that if I were in the position of making records in a professional band, I wouldn't want one.
I think home recorders are in a somewhat interesting position that will colour the viewpoint in particular ways though, because for the most part one has to do without all of what a producer may or may not bring to the table.

Back