Whos is your favorite current Producer?

Lennon def. took the biggest quality dive after his sabbatical. DF was worse, to my ears, than Good Night Vienna. At least Ringo had an excuse - & George: Jeff Lynn, slide guitar & Ukeleles conspired to lessen his cache'.
Why does Paul carry the can - because he was extremely talented yet settled for mawkish drivel and kept stepping forward to be counted.

I quite like "The long and winding road". My little brother used to call it "The long and" when he was 7. He thought 'what a silly name for a song, "The long and" '. I never did tell him what it was called.
Truth be told, all four Beatles could rock hard and did. But they were also very versatile and alone amongst just about every band that came out of the British isles in the 60s, weren't blues based or particularly influenced by it. That set them apart. The three main writing Beatles wrote very tender songs at times. While Lennon was caustically berating McCartney for his "granny" music, he was writing lovely tender songs like "Dear Prudence", "Julia" and "Goodnight". The latter is thought of as being so unLennonlike, that in one book on the band's music the writer speaks of it as a McCartney ballad !
Yeah, Macca could rock, man. "I saw her standing there", "I'm down", "Sergeant Pepper's lonely hearts club band", "Helter skelter", "Why don't we do it in the road ?", "Back in the USSR", "The end"........it's quite a list, if one could be bothered to go looking.
The moral here is: producers are not always the big bad wolf out to "change" the band or their sound......
I don't believe this of producers in general though some like this have obviously existed. I think producers do a good job by and large otherwise they wouldn't be in such demand from established acts.
But that doesn't mean a producer is de rigeur or a must have item. I don't agree for a moment that just because an act doesn't want a producer, that's some kind of hard fried evidence that they're insecure and need one. In any endeavour, there are going to be those that benefit from outside help and those that simply don't need it. Or don't require it.
Acts didn't take to producing themselves for nothing.

I was browsing some CD's in FYE the other day and picked up Lacuna Coil's latest album after seeing Don Gilmore on the production credits.
I can't say that I wouldn't have picked it up regardless, as I've been a fan of the band for 5 years anyway, but after seeing he produced I had to get it since I really love those first 2 Linkin Park albums. And I'm not disappointed. Just like Hybrid Theory and Meteora, I can put on Dark Adrenaline and listen all the way through.

There are a lot of good ones around, but call me old fashioned, if I had to pick the ONE definitive producer, it would be Eddie Kramer.

the producer's role in recording.....
he certainly took the role to a new direction and opened the doors for many that followed.

a producer is different things

Yep, we need to insist on a better job description for the role particularly since it seems to have devolved into a career that varies from site managing a recording session to co-rcreating & arranging "with the band" to someone mixing a toast on top of a borrowed rhythm track in the smart phone
if I had to pick the ONE definitive producer......

The "producer" word is one that's pretty strange to define

True. Especially since every 13 year old who manages to record himself rapping 2 lines calls himself a "producah" these days.
Those 13 year olds that record themselves rapping are kind of consistent in calling themselves 'producers', given the elasticity of the word and mystery/multi facetedness of the deed.

My favourite producer must be Steven Wilson. Everything he touches just becomes gold. All of his albums, both Porcupine Tree and the solo-stuff has an fantastic sound, as with the Opeth-albums hes mixed, no-man, blackfield, the two latest anathema albums. With a pair of good B&W-speakers.. its just perfect!

I didn't see anybody put Ryan Tedder yet, I like him more for his songwriting abilities but still my favorite producer none the less

Back