which mic should i use

groovyisland

hay wasa
im going to be recording at a pro studio with any kind of mic you can imagine

think brian wilson

what mic would you want

Recording at a pro studio?
I would rely on the the advice of the pro engineer who will no doubt be there.

im going to be recording at a pro studio with any kind of mic you can imagine

think brian wilson

what mic would you want

You use the mic. that sounds best for your voice in that acoustic environment.

No one can tell you that beforehand - you have to try several in the studio, taking advice from the recording engineer, and use the one that sounds best for your voice.

What works for one person may not work for you - so, decide for yourself. :thumbs up:

isnt there a dream mic like a neumann tube mic or something

There are lots of "Dream" mics.

But a "Dream" mic. that does not suit your voice is worse than one that is not a dream mic. that *does* suit your voice.

If you want a "Dream" mic., the ones that people seem to like are:
Neumann U47
FLEA 47 (best clone of the U47)
Neumann U49
AKG C12
FLEA 12 (see above link - probably the best clone of the C12)
Gefell CMV 563 / M7S] (re-issue of the original 1950's mic.)
Brauner are also well liked.

But the best mic. is the one that suits your voice best.

i will ask for the u47 nthen since thats at the top of your list

i wonder what it will sound like with my voice

probly silky smooth and intimate

i will ask for the u47 nthen since thats at the top of your list

i wonder what it will sound like with my voice

probly silky smooth and intimate

No, don't do that!

Ask for the advice of the engineer and try a few different mics and use the one that is best for YOU.

Also - as a good U47 is rare and very expensive I very much doubt that a studio will offer you such a mic. unless you are well experienced with using it - you cannot get the original valves anymore and these mics are always treated with care and respect.

There was nothing special in the order I placed that list, it was done at random, it was NOT done "best first", or anything like that.

Just my 2 pennies here but, my go to microphone/preamp that best suits my vocal recordings is a Shure SM7 through a Joe Meek TwinQ2.

+1 to all said.
Don't pick a mic on reputation or recommendation.
Either let the engineer do his job, or audition several mics to pick the most suitable.

I usually have a fair idea of what mic I want to use just from listening to someone for a minute or two.
OK, sometimes there are surprises, but yeah....If you're not sure just let the engineer do what he does.

Just by the by, I'm with Henry. SM7b suits me best, I think.
It's also the go to mic if I don't have time to try others. It's like a good safe bet, in my opinion.

Last time i paid for recording i didnt like the mics the engineer had picked out for me so i asked for something intimate

he came back with a wood box and took out a big mic

it sounded silky smooth and intimate

Back