which mic for me

DrSpankenstein

Hello, Which mic would you sugest for under $150 for a Danny Elfman type voice. I did a ton of searching here and found some good info, but some said "this mic is good for certain types of voices and not others" but they don't really say what type. I know voices vary so much,but any help would be apreciated. Also I have the Art Tube MP preamp. My friend gave it to me because he hates it, but I have not really used it yet so I dunno if it is any good or not.

BTW- has anybody tried the mods to the tube mp. I read that if you change the tube and the op amp that it makes a world of differece. I will do another search. That makes 4 hours of scouring the archives. Man am I boring!

thanks

dave

I suggest you go to your local music stores and audition mics until you find the mic YOU like best for YOUR voice... they do have music stores in Placerville don't they?

Danny Elfman? Didn't he once sing for the band Oingo Boingo? :D

I have no idea, man. Sorry. Like DJL says . . . just try a bunch out. Good luck.

Yeah Danny Elfman did sing for oingo boingo and he did the nightmare before christmas songs

We do have a few tiny shops but nothing big, I don't think they have much in the way of mics though. Just alot of used stuff. Sacramento is not to far away though.

thanks for the input

dave

I guess what I am asking for is a recomendation for a proven all around starter mic for under $150. I know you get what you pay for, but my equipment (for now anyway) wouldn't do anything else justice. I would mostly be doing vocals through it maybe alittle acoustic guitar...oh and my friends cool dobro bass.

thanks again

dave

some decent $150 and under mics that could work for those applications:

Shure SM57
Marshal MXLv67
Marshall MXL2003
Marshall MXL990
Studio Projects B1
Oktava MK319

yeah, it is sweet. I don't remeber the make but it is so fun to play a little hard to slap on but cool. Pretty loud for an acoustic bass.
I will check on the manufacturer and post it here if you are interested. I think he bought it from the web.

also thank you Gidge for the list I will check them all out. I think I am leaning towards the studio projects B1.

c-ya

DrSpankenstein said:
yeah, it is sweet. I don't remeber the make but it is so fun to play a little hard to slap on but cool. Pretty loud for an acoustic bass.
I will check on the manufacturer and post it here if you are interested. I think he bought it from the web.

also thank you Gidge for the list I will check them all out. I think I am leaning towards the studio projects B1.

c-ya
Yes, I'm a bassist and very interested... please post more info when you can.

PS... the 797 Audio/Studio Projects B1 is a fun type budget LDC mic and ok for many things... but it's not a great vocal mic IMO.

Yo Spank! Just checking because I'm trying to track down a black DJ named Chuck Rhone who used to live in Placerville. He plays very white music, a big Little Feat fan. Any clues? P.S. I like Oktava MK319 for a cheap starter condenser, Sennheiser e835 for a cheap dynamic. You can pick up the pair at GC for $150.-Richie

Hey,

Djl- My friend has not called me back yet but I think this is the one http://www.folkofthewood.com/page1276.htm I will double check tomorrow at work and verify. Ok he just called and this is the one http://www.folkofthewood.com/page93.htm but the johnson is supposed to be better.

Richard- sorry can't help ya.

Big Kenny-Is this the sp1 you refered to? http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/cart/default.asp?Prod=SP1#details cause I can afford that.

Anyone here ever order form world music supply?

cellardweller- man they are only the best band in the world! ok maybe not the best but they freakin rule!! Cool sneaky guitars, mischievious horns, tribal drums (sometimes), marimba, great bassist. I like 'em.

Back