which Imac should i buy?

candelamusic

i dont know much about computer speed so i would like to know wich one of these would be better. im only gonna record vocals in a mini mbox. these are the refurbished prices from apple.com:
Imac 2.0ghz, 1GB, 250GB - $800 or
Imac 2.4ghz, 1GB, 320GB - $850 is the $50 more worth it for what im going to do? by the way im upgrading to 4GB ram. thanks a lot

On the Mac platform, 2GHz is plenty of speed. The key is, as you have already considered, upgrading the RAM beyond the stock 1GB.

I use Logic 8 on a Mac Mini - 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM - zero issues whatsoever.

iRefuse to use a hackintosh for recording. ;)

Point of interest: If you want to do the recording you mentioned, you would do better to just buy a PC with better specs it would cost you far less (50% less if you take your time and shop around).

Second Point: I use macs, spent alot of time with the OS, just feel like you can find more software, and support for PC based. (Mac: 7-9% market share; PC: 80-90% market share; Other OS: 3-7%)

Disclaimer: I will not participate in a Mac v. PC flame war. The above is nothing more than my opinion and some very sketchy numbers from Gizmodo.

You should consider buying you a mac with at least 4GB of RAM especially if you're considering working with virtual instruments (they're so juice demanding). The more speed, the better. Go for the 2.4Ghz model.

Last edited:
iRefuse to use a hackintosh for recording. ;)

Point of interest: If you want to do the recording you mentioned, you would do better to just buy a PC with better specs it would cost you far less (50% less if you take your time and shop around).

Second Point: I use macs, spent alot of time with the OS, just feel like you can find more software, and support for PC based. (Mac: 7-9% market share; PC: 80-90% market share; Other OS: 3-7%)

Disclaimer: I will not participate in a Mac v. PC flame war. The above is nothing more than my opinion and some very sketchy numbers from Gizmodo.

He is right, about finding software. Most plugins you are going to find are for PC. But that being said, if you are going to use logic/protools you will have more than enough plugs and effects.

IMO buy the best mac you can afford, they last forever and just plain and simple work. Skip on the stock memory, I forget the options but go with one slot set of ram so your not wasting money or space. Then upgrade to some after-market ram.

Hope this helps,

Mike

I do all my recordings with my Imac - IMO it's the best! I also have a new Vista Laptop but once you record on a Mac you'll see why I feel it's the best... I literally have about a hundred plug-ins and use Logic Studio, Garageband and Cubase 4 AI. Just bought a Boss GS-10 interface - I installed the drivers on both platforms - tried the PC and went back to using my Mac ASAP. No latency issues, no driver problems, etc. Macs are made for graphics, sound and video - PC's were made for number crunching ;)

Here's a good place to find some good AU plug-ins:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/PluginsAUEffects.html

also KVR has listings for a whole lot of em too.

Back