Which hardware for telecaster

jimistone

long standing member
The telecaster is going to be painted gold metalflake. The neck has a dark rosewood board. Probably will go with a black pickguard.
I'm trying to decide what color hardware to order.
Black?
Nickle/chrome?
Gold?
I'm thinking gold hardware on a gold flake guitar may be overkill ... I dunno
What do y'all think?

I'm pretty much always against gold hardware. It's ghetto and it wears ugly. Sounds like black hardware would be cool on a guitar like that. Saints colors! Who Dat!

To my eye flake always looks best with chrome. After that Flat black, (kind of the ebony thing). Gold is bling on a tele anyway, but hell it's your guitar and you should put what you want on it....

Yeah I'm leaning towards black. The guitar is going to have a full size humbucker in the neck position (58 PAF clone) ...it has a gold cover in it but I could take it off if I went with nickle/chrome. I think the gold pickup cover would look kind if cool with blacked out hardware

Last edited:
To my eye flake always looks best with chrome. After that Flat black, (kind of the ebony thing). Gold is bling on a tele anyway, but hell it's your guitar and you should put what you want on it....

Really, it's hard to beat nickel tuners and chrome hardware on a fender strat or Tele of ANY color. I was just toying with the idea of something a little different....but then almost every ibanez guitar on the shelf has black hardware.

I'm with Greg on the gold - I've had some nice stuff pit and tarnish after what seems like no time at all. Whatever the case, I'd go with bronze saddles.

Really, it's hard to beat nickel tuners and chrome hardware on a fender strat or Tele of ANY color. I was just toying with the idea of something a little different....but then almost every ibanez guitar on the shelf has black hardware.

I agree. I have nickel and chrome on pretty much all the stuff I use. Ebony on acoustics and jazz boxes. If people want gold hardware I put it on for them but always tell them it will wear quicker.

Back