which for what??

Devlin Malcolm

What I'm asking in this thread is....
What condenser microphone should I use for vocals?

If I were to use 2 microphones for acoustic guitar (one on the neck and the other at the soundhole) which 2 mics would be best for that?

If I were to use 2 microphones for recording cabinets for electric guitar, which ones should I use?

And then for recording acoustic drum set, if I were to use a microphone for each drum (top and bottom for snare, hi-hat, high Tom, mid tom, floor Tom, kick, overheads, and room) which mics to use for each one?

I would not want to share microphones for different instruments at all, I want individual mics for each instrument even if there are duplicates (if that makes sense). I would love to hear everyones opinion for everything I listed please. Not really on a budget but I do prefer pricing to be under 150$ for each microphone.

Thanks
Devlin

For the guitar cab definitely look into a Shure SM57 ($100). Or maybe even 2 of them.
For vocals: MXL offers some good mics for a low price; I like the MXL 990 ($80) on vocals, but there are several others.
For the acoustic guitar, a pair of AKG C1000s ($150 each) might work for you. I like using them on acoustics, but other people might have better suggestions.
Hope this helps!

You most definitely should pick up a pair of Oktava MK-012's!! Duties include drum over heads and acoustic guitar.

Electric guitar cabs - The Shure SM57, Sennheiser MD421, Oktava's MK-219 or MK-419 or The Sennheiser e609.

Drums -
On kick, a Shure Beta SM 52a.
On toms, the Sennheiser E604 three pack.
Overheads, again the Oktava MK2 MK-012's.
Snare top, Shure SM57
Share bottom, a SDC your choice really. There are so many.
Room, a LDC your choice again.

All of these microphones can be had used on evil bay for about half price in *like new condition*.

Since you state you want mics under $150.00, That makes things a bit easier. Acoustic guitar I would find a used Oktava 319 and MK012. Guitar cabs I would use the SM57 and one of the many cheap ribbons. I think a used Fathead might be possible at that price. On the drums, since you're willing to spend $150x8=$900, I would instead go the Glyn Johns 3 mic route with a Heil PR40 on the kick and a pair of Earthworks condensers OH. I think for $900 (used) you could pull that off.

Back