What's wrong with my vocal technique/recording tactics?

AudioInsurgency

Hey everyone,

I've been recording vocals at home recently for my album and the sound guy I'm working with says that my voice just doesn't cut it. He says there's a lack of certain frequencies in my voice that allow it to cut through the mix. The main gist is that it will turn out to be a sub-par recording no matter how much work we put into it.

We're using an AT2035 condenser mic and it's the only mic we have at our disposal. We're also recording into a mini-vocal booth that amplifies frequencies below 600Hz, but we just cut those away with EQ. We used this setup before to record other artists and they sound really good.

The way that we recorded before was about 19cm away from the microphone but after some experimenting, we discovered that I sound best when I'm basically making out with the mic (like I do during live performances).

He says it feels like the range around 1-3k is lacking a bit, and my resonances are too strong in 400-1000 range. The recording booth probably amplifies those though. Multiband compression helps, with compressing lows a lot (550 hz and below), mids a medium amount, and highs above 1.94 Khz a bit, as well as an over all increase in volume.

I have attached an example of the recording that we've come up with and wanted to ask if you guys heard anything obviously wrong with my voice or with the recording.

Dry example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tc7tpr0gp6hbx86/The Ocean Inside Song and Vocal Raw.wav?dl=0

Mixed example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jynr1e6mugs6wy1/The Ocean Inside Song and Vocal Rough Mix.wav?dl=0

Mixed Solo vocal:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgrectyztt3bq66/The Ocean Inside Raw Vocal.wav?dl=0

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
I get a 'an audio error occured' with all 3 links.

First - have you ever tired recording without the 'mini vocal both' - whatever it is? It can't "amplify" anything, but it can suck the highs and air out the sound, if it really does absorption. Most often these are good for stopping a lot of room sound from bouncing back to the mic.

I agree with Mike, give the vocals a try outside the booth and also back up from the mic at least several inches.

Your sample seems a little pitchy but it is absolutely fine in my amateur opinion. Is it possible he meant your home recordings wouldn't cut it? Maybe save up your pennies and get some studio time in that case. . .

If you're concerned about the weakness of your voice in the presence frequencies, then the last thing you want to do is record in a manner that boosts your low mids. Your booth and the proximity effect from Bogarting the mic might be doing that. Ditch the booth and back off.

there is a great verse and chorus in there. i would strongly reconsider the arrangement of the song and use its strengths to your advantage. I would also ditch this guy doing your sound and either learn the skills yourself or take it somewhere more professional.

If the vocals recorded in the ending are also done in the vocal booth, then it's clearly not the vocal booth's problem. While excessively loud (they should come way down), the ending vocals are still clear and present. It's the verse vocals that are the problem. I'd look at things that were different in the recording/mixing process between the verse and outro vocals. Something is off in the chain somewhere.

I'm betting most commentators above didn't hear the vox at the very end. Clear that up for us, would you? Were those recorded in the same booth, and what is different about their recording/processing?

Some further comments - the vocals aren't blended well with the track. It sounds much like a karaoke performance. Reexamine the EQ and verb applications. The leveling is all over the place as well. Again, I was excited for the verse and chorus, though really pitchy, but then the tune went off on a tangent and completely abandoned the catchy vocal melodies/lead guitar/synth parts. I would look at the arrangement again. Just my opinion. Hope something here helped

I'm betting most commentators above didn't hear the vox at the very end. Clear that up for us, would you? Were those recorded in the same booth, and what is different about their recording/processing?

That's actually worth pointing out. During the big multi-voice part at the end, things sound a lot better. Earlier in the song, the big thing to work on is the performance: hit those pitches. You may want to look into the arrangement too. Some of the low notes sounded like you were at the absolute limit of your range.

Only the last clip worked for me, but it sounded fine other than pitchy. I think your friend is wrong.
Also, you can't get mopey and insecure so quickly. People who have no legs climb Everest, so I'm pretty sure you can record a song if you keep trying.

I wish I could hear the vocal in a mix, but that link didn't work. Acapella it sounds quite pitchy, but that might sit okay in a mix. Your phrasing an enunciation are a bit odd, but again, nothing that would make me say "this guy can't ever record" or whatever your friend is telling you.

If the mini vocal booth is full of foam, that could be upsetting the frequencies. Try without as suggested before. I have a AT2035 and even though it's not one of my better mics I have used it record vocals in the past with very good results.

Alan.

Speaking as a "sound guy" I've never heard of a voice missing frequencies. Yeah, some are down in the bass range and don't go particularly high...while others are soprano and don't have bass content. However, if there's a hole in the 1-3kHz range, that almost sound like a classic case of "foam on walls".

The AT2035, while not my favourite mic, should have lots of bright detail in the range you mention so again that points to a room problem.

Mention all this to the sound guy and try recording without the mini booth--or if the room is really bad, sometimes it can work to put you and the mic outside the booth, with you facing towards it, to minimise reflections without losing too many of the highs.

Anyhow, it's your job to sing well without the pitchy quality but the sound guy's job to work out where it's best to stand you to record. Note that a nicely balance headphone mix can go along way with helping the pitch problem. Spend the time to get it just right for you.

"He says there's a lack of certain frequencies in my voice that allow it to cut through the mix. The main gist is that it will turn out to be a sub-par recording no matter how much work we put into it." That is bullshit. Get away from that person pronto.

Back