What's this crazy world coming to?

We've got a budding Tal Winkenfeld there! I know some bass players who could learn a thing or two from this kid.

Senri Kawaguchi when she was 11 years old... (killer solo starts around the 3:00 mark)

Reactions: TAE
These things can't be learned, they're already in your head and just get let out. Especially the fusion jazzy style - the unusual timings and all the pushes and pulls that have to be felt rather than learned. I guess some folk just have the wiring in their brains from birth. I bought my grandson a clever keyboard, but his mum moved it out of the room and it's now unused. She places little emphasis on artistic stuff, so these kids had very supportive parents I bet!

These things can't be learned, they're already in your head and just get let out. Especially the fusion jazzy style - the unusual timings and all the pushes and pulls that have to be felt rather than learned. I guess some folk just have the wiring in their brains from birth
I disagree. I think they can be learned. We underestimate just how much little children take in and practice in their heads and then replay as natural. It's a bit like writing a song in 11/8 time or some such esoteric signature. It's hard and weird at first. Until it becomes natural.

Nope - got to disagree here. In all my years of teaching hundreds of people, there really is a barrier. Oddly, not in technology - there, with hard work and effort it can be learned. The art bit cannot. If you don't have that gene, you will never make it. Like dance - I can't dance. I know how, I know the technical stuff, I know the language, but I can't do it, and I'll never be able to learn. Some people can tune a guitar by ear from day one, most can learn it - but some just cannot. They can still do music, if they find a genre where their skills match.

She's what, 10? I don't give a fuck what her favorite bass lines are. : D
@TAE I tend to agree with Supercreep here.

A 10-year-old cannot have the maturity to have developed a taste for, frankly, anything. I'd start paying attention when they're around 16, at which point they have a broader knowledge of music (and other stuff in general).

Besides, I can't imagine a seemingly good thing could be worse than to allow / set up a kid at that age to have an audience of 470K subscribers. Whether her whole act is coached or not, it creates an emotional dependency on the whim of the worst kind of audience -- internet users -- who have short attention spans and don't want to build true, long-term artist-audience relationships ("fandom" if you prefer), so that a skewed ego / sense of self-importance builds up. All things considered, there are hundreds of other young musicians who are better players (musically and technically) but are overlooked because they aren't some cute sweetheart with pigtails.

Reactions: TAE
Nope - got to disagree here. In all my years of teaching hundreds of people, there really is a barrier. Oddly, not in technology - there, with hard work and effort it can be learned. The art bit cannot. If you don't have that gene, you will never make it. Like dance - I can't dance. I know how, I know the technical stuff, I know the language, but I can't do it, and I'll never be able to learn. Some people can tune a guitar by ear from day one, most can learn it - but some just cannot. They can still do music, if they find a genre where their skills match.
100% in agreement with this thinking. People who sing or play out of key and haven't a clue as an example. Same with sports...You can get better at whatever you want to try and do but if you are not born with the genes you are not born with the genes and all the working out and practicing will never put you in fair competition with those that genetically are able to run faster, jump higher, hit harder from the get go.

This little 11 year old has the gift...As far as having an opinion that doesn't matter at 11.... that's just silly talk.. Based upon her playing capabilities and the players she chose to showcase I'd listen to her thoughts and opinions of what makes them great just as much as most of the adult bass players I know. Most can not play nearly as well as her at 11.

I posted the video to say that seeing this young kid playing at the level she was playing and the players she chose to learn their styles from sure put a smile on my face. That a pre teen kid is playing like she plays tells me that though techno, pop and rap may be the mainstay these days, there are many youngsters that are kicking ass, learning that will be growing into beastly musicians as adults.

Last edited:
I can't imagine a seemingly good thing could be worse than to allow / set up a kid at that age to have an audience of 470K subscribers. Whether her whole act is coached or not, it creates an emotional dependency on the whim of the worst kind of audience -- internet users -- who have short attention spans and don't want to build true, long-term artist-audience relationships ("fandom" if you prefer), so that a skewed ego / sense of self-importance builds up. All things considered, there are hundreds of other young musicians who are better players (musically and technically) but are overlooked because they aren't some cute sweetheart with pigtails.

For sure early fame can jade a young persons world or be amazing...No guarantees either way. Child prodigies are not a new thing, just part of life. Some little humans are just special...

1710731639951.png

Back