What's this crazy world coming to?

Nope - got to disagree here
I don't mind.
In all my years of teaching hundreds of people, there really is a barrier. Oddly, not in technology - there, with hard work and effort it can be learned. The art bit cannot. If you don't have that gene, you will never make it
I might agree with that if you'd been the fly on the wall over a 12-year period in all of those households and had detailed notes on a whole range of things.....
. Like dance - I can't dance. I know how, I know the technical stuff, I know the language, but I can't do it, and I'll never be able to learn
I bet if your kids' lives were seriously at stake, you'd have John Travolta coming to you for lessons !
Some people can tune a guitar by ear from day one, most can learn it - but some just cannot. They can still do music, if they find a genre where their skills match
I personally find the "specific skill is just in a person, naturally, regardless of a whole range of things an outsider can possibly know" view to be....let me be polite, and say, fanciful.

I just had the pleasure and luck of being able to go to a local LPGA tournament yesterday in Palos Verdes. Beautiful venue and a really cool experience.
First time I have ever gone to any pro golf tournament. Timing was right for me and my buddy to walk along 18 holes with Lexi Thompson, Rose Zhang and Ruoning Yin.
3 of the greatest women players in Golf today. Watched Lexi hole two Eagles in the round. The takeaway...These ladies are freaks of nature, unicorns in an ocean of horses.
They won the DNA lottery. Don't get me wrong these ladies work their asses off to play at the level of play they play at. But you take a normal hose and have them work twice as hard and they will never be a unicorn...They will never be able to compete and win against unicorns.

The same as with gifted scientist, mathematicians, musicians, artist and a plethora of other things we humans are capable of doing at different levels of ability.
Not to be crass or condescending but you can not polish a turd. I would love as a man to be able to smash a golf ball as far as Lexi, Rose or Ruoning but I was not born with the natural swing speed they were gifted. I can kick all 3 of their butts at arm wrestling easy but I'll never hit a golf ball as far as them.

I am sure with a lot of work and effort I can improve my swing speed a little...never to the level of these girls....dang

Same goes with music playing ability and agility. We have what we have and some have been blessed with something money nor hard work can buy...and most of us are many notches below that. Doesn't mean we can't play and enjoy what we do.. We can aspire to be as good as we can be and for most of us that is good enough..

I just had the pleasure and luck of being able to go to a local LPGA tournament yesterday in Palos Verdes. Beautiful venue and a really cool experience.
First time I have ever gone to any pro golf tournament. Timing was right for me and my buddy to walk along 18 holes with Lexi Thompson, Rose Zhang and Ruoning Yin.
3 of the greatest women players in Golf today. Watched Lexi hole two Eagles in the round. The takeaway...These ladies are freaks of nature, unicorns in an ocean of horses.
They won the DNA lottery. Don't get me wrong these ladies work their asses off to play at the level of play they play at. But you take a normal hose and have them work twice as hard and they will never be a unicorn...They will never be able to compete and win against unicorns.

The same as with gifted scientist, mathematicians, musicians, artist and a plethora of other things we humans are capable of doing at different levels of ability.
Not to be crass or condescending but you can not polish a turd. I would love as a man to be able to smash a golf ball as far as Lexi, Rose or Ruoning but I was not born with the natural swing speed they were gifted. I can kick all 3 of their butts at arm wrestling easy but I'll never hit a golf ball as far as them.

I am sure with a lot of work and effort I can improve my swing speed a little...never to the level of these girls....dang

Same goes with music playing ability and agility. We have what we have and some have been blessed with something money nor hard work can buy...and most of us are many notches below that. Doesn't mean we can't play and enjoy what we do.. We can aspire to be as good as we can be and for most of us that is good enough..

Quite a few years ago, my son in law was a MacGregor Golf rep in Florida. He arranged it possible for he, his dad, myself, and a woman golfer to play a round of golf at Isleworth in Orlando, private course and the community where Tiger Woods, Mark O'Mara, other pro golfers, and the Shaq lived. It's an unusual golf course. No tee markers or directions to to the next hole, which was probably why we were instructed to keep pace with the foursome of pro golfers that teed off before we teed off. My son in law rode in a cart with his dad. I shared a cart with a woman who had qualified for and played in the woman's U.S. Open earlier that year. I carded a bogey on the first hole. Double bogey on the second hole. She asked me if was keeping score. I said, "Nah, I'm just taking in the scenery of all these multi million dollar homes. Oh look there! That's Shaq's house."
She was quite the player. Calm and collected up until on one hole, her ball laying a yard to the right of a 100 yard marker, she hit her shot that landed 20 yards short of the green.
She immediately screamed "No fucking way! That fucking yardage marker is wrong!" I looked to the other side of the faiway where my son in law and his Dad were laughing at her outburst of anger.
I have another story about the time the time I played a round of golf with Brian Hammond (Golf Channel) anchor at the time. Nice guy. Short temper.

Reactions: TAE
No-one has ever accused me of being talented.
I was accused of it one time...but that person was totally drunk at the time :laughings:
Unfortunately, most of my life has been spent listening to people tell me how talented I am, while all along being very much aware of my limitations. Weird feeling.
What comes next? AI sex robots?
That's a talent that's so hard to achieve, now they need robots that will be better than the humans who claim to have that talent.

I am not good a copying. I still can't play leads I have been trying to copy for 55 years. To answer what this crazy world is coming to..

Quite a few years ago, my son in law was a MacGregor Golf rep in Florida. He arranged it possible for he, his dad, myself, and a woman golfer to play a round of golf at Isleworth in Orlando, private course and the community where Tiger Woods, Mark O'Mara, other pro golfers, and the Shaq lived. It's an unusual golf course. No tee markers or directions to to the next hole, which was probably why we were instructed to keep pace with the foursome of pro golfers that teed off before we teed off. My son in law rode in a cart with his dad. I shared a cart with a woman who had qualified for and played in the woman's U.S. Open earlier that year. I carded a bogey on the first hole. Double bogey on the second hole. She asked me if was keeping score. I said, "Nah, I'm just taking in the scenery of all these multi million dollar homes. Oh look there! That's Shaq's house."
She was quite the player. Calm and collected up until on one hole, her ball laying a yard to the right of a 100 yard marker, she hit her shot that landed 20 yards short of the green.
She immediately screamed "No fucking way! That fucking yardage marker is wrong!" I looked to the other side of the faiway where my son in law and his Dad were laughing at her outburst of anger.
I have another story about the time the time I played a round of golf with Brian Hammond (Golf Channel) anchor at the time. Nice guy. Short temper.
Very cool... As a hack golfer who was dragged into the dumb sport @ 2013 I suck....amazing how precise these pros were. So yeah they take their yardages seriously. Off by a few yards and their not happy...20 yards oh hell no. I haven't golfed in about 6 months but I have been practicing my swing. I went to the range for the first time in as many months yesterday after being inspired and rented a Toptracer booth and a large bucket ..I had an hour to hit @ 100 balls... My swing practice has paid off but my power is fading....Fastest ball speed was 135 for about a 220 total drive...when I started learning 10 years ago I could drive 240 no prob. I guess I need to start doing some strength training...I was tired after whacking a 100 balls ..went through all my clubs and it recorded every strike except for two that I topped and did not get high enough to be tracked...definitely surprised by the results...I can almost leave my driver home as I'm hitting straighter and only maybe 10 yards shorter with the 3 wood. Oh well it's warming up and I'm going to get some golf in this summer hoping I can break 90 this year... Man if want to see a golf swing that is poetry in motion google Rose Zhang...smoooooth!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 0
@TAE I tend to agree with Supercreep here.

A 10-year-old cannot have the maturity to have developed a taste for, frankly, anything. I'd start paying attention when they're around 16, at which point they have a broader knowledge of music (and other stuff in general).

Besides, I can't imagine a seemingly good thing could be worse than to allow / set up a kid at that age to have an audience of 470K subscribers. Whether her whole act is coached or not, it creates an emotional dependency on the whim of the worst kind of audience -- internet users -- who have short attention spans and don't want to build true, long-term artist-audience relationships ("fandom" if you prefer), so that a skewed ego / sense of self-importance builds up. All things considered, there are hundreds of other young musicians who are better players (musically and technically) but are overlooked because they aren't some cute sweetheart with pigtails.
The ultimate goal is to make content to generate views/$$ - it's got 3.3 million views. Along with other videos it could add up to a good college fund or house fund.

It'll make a good time capsule and documentation of her development for her to have years down the road. Hopefully her parents are good people with their heads screwed on straight and have her best interests as their prime directive.

I can almost leave my driver home as I'm hitting straighter and only maybe 10 yards shorter with the 3 wood.
I do leave my driver home. Stopped carrying it last year. The extra few yards over my 3 and 5 woods are not worth the consistency of hitting the fairway I give up. I really have learned to back down my competitive urges when it comes to golf at my age. I'm not good enough to get upset at shit scores. My best ever score was a 3 over on the front 9 at my club 10 years ago and I'm okay that I will never do it again. I play from the front tees now and am happy with a few pars and delighted at the occasional birdie.

I wonder what the supremely naturally talented lady golfers who won the DNA lottery did in the days when there was no such thing as golf.
I guess they spanked their naughty kids from varying angles with aplomb and panache ! 😸

Just got home from playing Shoal Creek in Birmingham. Shot 86 even with 2 double bogies on the last two holes, thanks to my caddy. That man could read a green. He would say hit it there... and if I hit it hard enough, about 2/3 of the time it dropped in the hole. He also learned my game within about 3 or 4 holes. Misses mostly to the right, can't reach a green from 175. Can't hit a 3 or 5 wood fur shit, so I don't even carry one. Instead, I have 2 hybrids. He would give me a number, and I'd say, "can't reach it". How about xxx and he would say "yeah, that works, your short game is good enough."

After the round I apologized for making him carry 8 balls around the golf course. I stuck three sleeves in the bag, not knowing how many I would lose on a course I had never seen. Came in with all 9 balls. All told, I played 2 18 hole rounds plus a 9 hole par three at RTJ, and only lost one ball all week.

Country club golf is over. It's back to the public metro course on Monday.

Just got home from playing Shoal Creek in Birmingham. Shot 86 even with 2 double bogies on the last two holes, thanks to my caddy. That man could read a green. He would say hit it there... and if I hit it hard enough, about 2/3 of the time it dropped in the hole. He also learned my game within about 3 or 4 holes. Misses mostly to the right, can't reach a green from 175. Can't hit a 3 or 5 wood fur shit, so I don't even carry one. Instead, I have 2 hybrids. He would give me a number, and I'd say, "can't reach it". How about xxx and he would say "yeah, that works, your short game is good enough."

After the round I apologized for making him carry 8 balls around the golf course. I stuck three sleeves in the bag, not knowing how many I would lose on a course I had never seen. Came in with all 9 balls. All told, I played 2 18 hole rounds plus a 9 hole par three at RTJ, and only lost one ball all week.

Country club golf is over. It's back to the public metro course on Monday.
Lucky dog...the good life.

BTW what's a caddy? ;)

So here in the U.S. I have never had a caddy...My first experience with a caddy was in China on some incredible course there. My Chinese business partners have taken me to a few different courses and they all had young women caddies..and they knew their stuff. Kind of fun , kind of embarrassing as I am a less than average player. Nevertheless a cool experience. My goal is to be able to break 90 regularly I think it's obtainable for me but so far not there. It's been 6 months since I played a round. Going out next week with my biz partner to Los Serrano's here in Cali. It is now the 3rd longest course in Cali and it's 18th par 5 is the longest single hole in Cali @ 677 yards. We will not be playing the blacks and it is very doubtful I'll be breaking 90....even 100 Such is life / such is golf...

Love it that in these crazy whack times there are kids out there still killing it...With music in their hearts there is always hope for this bat shit crazy world....

Awesome,!but you know that Kim Jung Un already has plans of kidnapping her into his toddler virtuoso lineup after that vid is viral

Back