What's going on in the Mp3 clinic?

Speaking of Rami, who seems to be the resident super star, (no sarcasm intended) it seems like he will put up early mix stuff to elicit response.
This to some degree invites participation from other forum members, which makes everyone happy.
I personally have liked everything I've heard, and I'm not ass kissing. Good stuff is good stuff, and I'm not afraid of giving credit where credit is due.
I feel without any forum input he'd do great stuff, and mix input isn't needed, but is part of the whole vibe of this section of the forum.
So that's pretty cool

Myself, despite the fact no one knows me, I have been surprisingly well received, especially since I have only put up one song.

There's a lot of good people here and a few dicks, but I guess that goes like that anywhere.
Like I said in an earlier post, I have mixed feelings about this area.Good and bad

The MP3 clinic has been, and prolly will be again, my favourite place Ive encountered on the web....I just dont go there much as Ive no setup to listen and am not producing anything to be listened too.

Ive prolly outgrown it a little, but Im still not fully confident I get it right all the time. I dont mind nitpicking one way or the other, most of the people that comment on my stuff are folks I respect anyway.

The MP3 clinic has been, and prolly will be again, my favourite place Ive encountered on the web....I just dont go there much as Ive no setup to listen and am not producing anything to be listened too.

Ive prolly outgrown it a little, but Im still not fully confident I get it right all the time. I dont mind nitpicking one way or the other, most of the people that comment on my stuff are folks I respect anyway.
post some stuff. I'll give it a listen and comment on it. I know you respect me :) and I enjoy your music

I understand that there is a lot of misrepresented opinion in the clinic. I am not a great mixer (yet), but I think that my stuff sounds pretty decent. I love getting feedback from more accomplished mixers, but I also love getting feedback from less accomplished ones. There are a couple reasons for this.

First, a couple years ago, when my mixes were even less refined than they are now, I learned a lot by carefully listening to other mixes that were both more or less accomplished than my own and sharing my opinion. Maybe it can be seen as being a bit selfish, but critiquing other people's mixes helped my critical ear develop, which helped my mixes develop. Now, one can do this sort of critical listening without sharing feedback, but personally, I think this would be ineffective, because one gets feedback on their critique. This alone is "worth" "letting" more junior mixers leave feedback on my material because whether they realize it or not, it helps them.

Second, I never assume that the approach I have taken is necessarily the best course of action and I am always open to re-evaluating my approach. It's fun to learn and fun to grow. Even the greatest of masters can learn from his students. Why? There is more to all of this than mechanical experience and know how. Granted, there is no substitute, but that glosses over the importance of perception. No matter where I am in a "journey" compared to another individual, we have taken different paths, so we have seen and experienced different things. That makes it worthwhile to listen and consider anyone's opinion. To pull an example from another aspect of life, I am a software developer by trade. I've been doing this for a long time. I consistently learn things from the people I am mentoring. I teach more than I learn of course, probably at a ratio of 30:1 or more, but that 1 thing always surprises and elates me. I see the same trend in music feedback.

On the subject of getting feedback from more accomplished mixers, I must say that I am feeling a little disheartened and this thread is reinforcing that sentiment. A few of you guys posting in this thread do wonderful work that I really respect. I am getting the sense that the more advanced mixers around here are increasingly abandoning the clinic as more junior members come on board. Surely you guys see what that is going to result in? You are the folks who can provide guidance and help the most. Of course, you don't owe anybody anything and I really do understand getting sick of misrepresented opinions (this is actually a HUGE problem with mixing all over the internet, not just here), but you must see that you have the potential to be part of a solution, at least in this little corner of the web.

When the clinic can no longer help you improve, consider posting mixes for feedback anyway. You may find yourself surprised that you are actually considering and taking on the opinion of someone who you did not imagine you would. On the other hand, you could explain to the person (either thoughtfully or through a smackdown) that there are either subjective or objective reasons that you made the choices you made and why you will not be taking their suggestion. You will be teaching the person who left you feedback that way.

I'm going to continue heaping the praise on RAMI here (sorry, RAMI, not trying to embarrass or ass kiss here). RAMI has earned the respect of the most accomplished to the most junior level mixers and everyone in between, regardless of their modesty or self deluded expertise. He accepts feedback from those who are clearly "not worthy" to give him feedback, I have seen him accept it gracefully and I have seen him make positive changes to his mixes using that feedback. RAMI really doesn't need to post here to get mix advice, but he does, and by doing so, he gets and he gives. I think he is the very epitome of a role model of a senior member of the clinic.

It would be awesome if more of you talented and accomplished mixers would get more involved in the clinic like RAMI is. All of you are right about what you are seeing going on in there. As a reaction to that, many seem to be moving away from it. It's a shame, because it is possible that if you guys go the other way, you can help bring it back to what you all seem to be saying it once was. Again, you don't owe anybody anything, but the clinic sure could use a few more RAMI's (disclaimer, there are more guys than just RAMI who are posting awesome mixes - no disrespect, you know who you are - I am just using RAMI as an example). Places like the clinic can be absolutely fantastic, but only if the great and helpful users are there. Where will it be if the best, most qualified and most able to provide guidance abandon it?

It just gets old continually telling people that their fake drums sound like a robotic typewriter, their amp sims are harsh and fizzy, and they've compressed the entire mix way too much. It's like almost every home recorded mix fails the same way. It's too fake, it's too compressed, oh, and reverb abuse is way too rampant.

One other thing about RAMI that Fishy might have missed that makes him such an asset: The proliferation of his music (no it's not an insult...look it up if you don't understand :)) I think a lot of the better mixing members (wow another great band name...Mixing Members) don't post so much because they don't write as much.

Can anyone tell by my posts that I suffer slightly from ADHD?

I understand that there is a lot of misrepresented opinion in the clinic. I am not a great mixer (yet), but I think that my stuff sounds pretty decent. I love getting feedback from more accomplished mixers, but I also love getting feedback from less accomplished ones. There are a couple reasons for this.

First, a couple years ago, when my mixes were even less refined than they are now, I learned a lot by carefully listening to other mixes that were both more or less accomplished than my own and sharing my opinion. Maybe it can be seen as being a bit selfish, but critiquing other people's mixes helped my critical ear develop, which helped my mixes develop. Now, one can do this sort of critical listening without sharing feedback, but personally, I think this would be ineffective, because one gets feedback on their critique. This alone is "worth" "letting" more junior mixers leave feedback on my material because whether they realize it or not, it helps them.

Second, I never assume that the approach I have taken is necessarily the best course of action and I am always open to re-evaluating my approach. It's fun to learn and fun to grow. Even the greatest of masters can learn from his students. Why? There is more to all of this than mechanical experience and know how. Granted, there is no substitute, but that glosses over the importance of perception. No matter where I am in a "journey" compared to another individual, we have taken different paths, so we have seen and experienced different things. That makes it worthwhile to listen and consider anyone's opinion. To pull an example from another aspect of life, I am a software developer by trade. I've been doing this for a long time. I consistently learn things from the people I am mentoring. I teach more than I learn of course, probably at a ratio of 30:1 or more, but that 1 thing always surprises and elates me. I see the same trend in music feedback.

On the subject of getting feedback from more accomplished mixers, I must say that I am feeling a little disheartened and this thread is reinforcing that sentiment. A few of you guys posting in this thread do wonderful work that I really respect. I am getting the sense that the more advanced mixers around here are increasingly abandoning the clinic as more junior members come on board. Surely you guys see what that is going to result in? You are the folks who can provide guidance and help the most. Of course, you don't owe anybody anything and I really do understand getting sick of misrepresented opinions (this is actually a HUGE problem with mixing all over the internet, not just here), but you must see that you have the potential to be part of a solution, at least in this little corner of the web.

When the clinic can no longer help you improve, consider posting mixes for feedback anyway. You may find yourself surprised that you are actually considering and taking on the opinion of someone who you did not imagine you would. On the other hand, you could explain to the person (either thoughtfully or through a smackdown) that there are either subjective or objective reasons that you made the choices you made and why you will not be taking their suggestion. You will be teaching the person who left you feedback that way.

I'm going to continue heaping the praise on RAMI here (sorry, RAMI, not trying to embarrass or ass kiss here). RAMI has earned the respect of the most accomplished to the most junior level mixers and everyone in between, regardless of their modesty or self deluded expertise. He accepts feedback from those who are clearly "not worthy" to give him feedback, I have seen him accept it gracefully and I have seen him make positive changes to his mixes using that feedback. RAMI really doesn't need to post here to get mix advice, but he does, and by doing so, he gets and he gives. I think he is the very epitome of a role model of a senior member of the clinic.

It would be awesome if more of you talented and accomplished mixers would get more involved in the clinic like RAMI is. All of you are right about what you are seeing going on in there. As a reaction to that, many seem to be moving away from it. It's a shame, because it is possible that if you guys go the other way, you can help bring it back to what you all seem to be saying it once was. Again, you don't owe anybody anything, but the clinic sure could use a few more RAMI's (disclaimer, there are more guys than just RAMI who are posting awesome mixes - no disrespect, you know who you are - I am just using RAMI as an example). Places like the clinic can be absolutely fantastic, but only if the great and helpful users are there. Where will it be if the best, most qualified and most able to provide guidance abandon it?
Well, that's pretty flattering, man.

I have to say that, without an ounce of false modesty, I really barely know what I'm doing. I know what I want from my songs and I think I'm pretty good at getting something from my brain to my hands. But if you put me in anyone else's studio or asked me to work on someone else's tune, you might be surprised at how shitty it turns out.

Just for the record, you guys don't have to capitalize RAMI. Rami is my real name. I just happened to put it all in capitals when I registered. :D

Last edited:
One other thing about RAMI that Fishy might have missed that makes him such an asset: The proliferation of his music
My head pretty much only has room for 2 things inside it: Sex, and the next tune I'm working on. :eek: :D

Interesting thread.

I like Greg's thoughts on just sending the song to people you trust.

I think I learn a lot from listening to other people's songs. Many times it's "what not to do", because there is a lot of bad music out there. Other times I am apt to lift a technique or revisit a structural concept that works.

People mostly don't want honesty, I think. They want recognition. I try to include a little of both.

If I record something bad and people tell me it's good, it doesn't improve my impression of the song, it lowers my impression of the people.

But every once in a while, I listen to something and am pretty blown away. Lately Heatmiser usually has something to do with it.

Just for the record, you guys don't have to capitalize RAMI. Rami is my real name. I just happened to put it all in capitals when I registered. :D

Now he tells me. :)

And BTW, all you guys should definitely PM me links to your songs so I don't have to troll the MP3 clinic.

Back