Whats everyone using for amps?

What amp do you prefer?

• Total voters
now that ive gone wide-range i realize that i dont like guitar amps anymore

i have analog and digital gear that gets me where i want to be through the pa
I can see that .... it's a totally different sound and there's no reason everyone has to be locked into that old amp sound.
personally I can see it a lot easier with an acoustic thing than with electrics. In general I don't care for the response of amp modelers but once again, that's because I prefer the response of a good tube amp. But if someone doesn't even like that sound the response thing might not matter.
plus modelers are getting close .... things like the Fractal FX are getting where they do respond like an amp ...... they're just expensive.

I was never a fan of the modelers for the same reason, but now I use the Fractal for all my electric recording, and sometimes for bass too. It really is indistinguishable from the real thing. I've done blind tests. Yeah, the money is hard to swallow (especially the $1k footswitch...that still stings a little), but it'll do literally any sound and nail it dead on.

I was never a fan of the modelers for the same reason, but now I use the Fractal for all my electric recording, and sometimes for bass too. It really is indistinguishable from the real thing. I've done blind tests. Yeah, the money is hard to swallow (especially the $1k footswitch...that still stings a little), but it'll do literally any sound and nail it dead on.
that's what I've read in quite a few interviews with artists that use it.
I'm kinda ok with the 2k to buy the unit ( I've spent far more than that on my amps and 1700 just for my Mark V) but I haven't heard about a thousand dollar switch .... :eek: ... tell me more.

It's a pretty cool footswitch. You can do just about anything you could imagine with it. You could bias on the fly if you wanted to, or change the pitch at which a delay kicks in so it's only applied to your leads. It's literally endless. And it costs a thousand bucks, and they've had a waiting list ever since they came out with it. I waited almost two years for mine.

im using a digitech jimi hendrix experience pedal, a brian may pedal, and tom sholz rockmodules

those are my amps now

the digitech pedals sound like ass through my marshalls but through the pa they really come alive

the rockmodules are a revelation to me

its the sound ive been trying for and wasnt able to get with my amps

These work for me; Vintage 30's in the 4X12, G12T-75's in the 2X12 and I switch back & forth depending on what I'm in the mood for. Despite some opinions that I've F'd-Up my speaker cabinets... the bottom line for me is, I love the way they sound.

These work for me; Vintage 30's in the 4X12, G12T-75's in the 2X12 and I switch back & forth depending on what I'm in the mood for. Despite some opinions that I've F'd-Up my speaker cabinets... the bottom line for me is, I love the way they sound.
how could swapping out speakers fuck up your cabinets?

how could swapping out speakers fuck up your cabinets?

No one said that. This is the guy that filled his cabs with......you know that stuffing that they put in cheap throw pillows?.......this guy literally filled his cabs with that stuff. Some people were like WTF? I was one of those people. It's very joey-dahlia-ish. :D

No one said that. This is the guy that filled his cabs with......you know that stuffing that they put in cheap throw pillows?.......this guy literally filled his cabs with that stuff. Some people were like WTF? I was one of those people. It's very joey-dahlia-ish. :D
ah yes ..... I do remember that .... gotcha. :D
So no one said he messed up his cabs ..... they probably said that it wouldn't do anything.

meh ..... whatever makes you happy with your sound.

For the record, this is not “cheap throw pillow stuffing”; it’s specifically made for dampening the inside of closed back or "infinite baffle" speaker cabinets. It’s long stranded fiber material for sound/heat dissipation and I’ve been experimenting with it and like what it sounds like so far. I used to work for a hi-end sub-woofer company and we used it in those and I wondered what it'd do in a guitar cabinet.

For the record, this is not “cheap throw pillow stuffing”; it’s specifically made for dampening the inside of closed back or "infinite baffle" speaker cabinets. It’s long stranded fiber material for sound/heat dissipation and I’ve been experimenting with it and like what it sounds like so far. I used to work for a hi-end sub-woofer company and we used it in those and I wondered what it'd do in a guitar cabinet.

Works great in couch cushions too!

ah yes ..... I do remember that .... gotcha. :D
So no one said he messed up his cabs ..... they probably said that it wouldn't do anything.

meh ..... whatever makes you happy with your sound.

Right? That's all. No one bashed the guy. It just looked terrible.

I replaced the long strand fibre glass in a pair of ARx speakers last year. Those stereo speaker cabs have special putty seals between all components ond the mounting board as well as the back plate and connection poles. I didn't use the fibre glass though - bought some specially rated stuff that is, essentially, fancy pillow fluff I guess. The speakers sounded beautiful before I had to replace a tweeter attenuator so decided (after having to toss the f/glass becasue it was awful to deal with & 40 years old) I'd best repack the cabs with the prescribed type and weight of fluff. yes, the cabs came with that sort of info. Would I do that in a guitar cab - highly unlikely but then again I've no ear for guitar tone either.
How do they sound now? Well, subjectively just as beautiful if not even a tad more comfy.

I have an Ampeg Portaflex PF 500 I picked up a GearFest @ Sweetwater.

Back