What To Do with a Toasted BP200 Pedal?

stevieb

Just another guy, really.
I got one at a garage sale- free. Worth what I paid for it- turns out one of the transistors is so toasted it left a brown smear on the inside of the case. My tech tells me it's not worth repairing, and Digitech wants something obscene like $60 to fix it. Yeah, right. Whatever.

But I think I might use the housing for something, like a pedal mod'ded to fit. The thing has two pedals,three knobs, a rocker foot pedal and a metal case- pretty robust, it looks like.

Any suggestions? :)

Depends I guess,
If the transistor just burned out for some reason and needs replaced, definitely just do it yourself. Why not, right?
If it burned out due to some underlying fault then maybe it's not worth the troubleshooting to get to the bottom of it.

I guess if it blew up you aren't going to know the transistor part number, but maybe you could find out from a schematic?
If you're lucky the board will say 'T3' or something beside the component.

If you decide to just use it as a casing, find out what value pot is operated by the foot pedal.
It might be kind cool to harness that for gain/volume/tone in some DIY pedal.

AFAIK kip4 is in the process of building a ridiculous number of DIY pedals. :p
Maybe he'll have some ideas?

The transistor likely blew because the wrong power supply was plugged into the pedal. Now, you're lucky it isn't surface mount. If it's a simple TO-92 transistor, you can try a few generic replacements, just for sh*ts and giggles. If you have the proper supply, plug it in, and measure the three spots where the transistor would plug into (remove the original transistor). The supply voltage is 9VAC, but rectified it'll be more. Say you get +9VDC, +2.5VDC, and 0VDC (compared to circuit ground). It's an NPN transistor, and the pin out is C-B-E. Try a 2N3904 or 2N2222.
It's not quick and easy, but I do this all the time to try and get smart. Eventually you get faster, and just have a feeling when you are right, or if it's worth trying in the first place.

Some very encouraging replies, but I am tending to accept the tech's opinion that it is not worth repairing. Yes, ranjam, he said it was because "inappropriate" power was connected to the unit, but he seemed to think someone plugged the speaker-out into the input of the BP200 (as I recall, he may have said something different.)

An interesting thing about this unit it is does NOT have a pot beneath the pedal. It has some sort of "optical" Digitech's word,) there is just a small circuit board with a sensor there. Now I want to open up my RP7 and see what it has, there.

It has to be an SMD board.
I wonder how come it didnt have reverse polarity protection in the first place.

Back