what the hell is wrong with my studio

dabombkid4

I got it all set up, mic, mixer, external soundcard and computer. When i hit record it just doesnt pick anything up like the mic isnt connected correctly. can somebody please help me im begging

It might help to give us a detailed list of all of your equipment. What kind of mic? What mixer? What software? and so on.

alright i got a behringer ub802, it has mic preams, phantom power, line in, cotrol room out l and r , and main out l and r, i have a condenser mix running to the mixer, my mixer is running from line 1 to line in on my soundblaster 24 bit external card and that is running to my computer via usb. I am getting sound threw the headphones from the mic in the booth but thats it. When i hit record on cool edit, it just doesnt pick anything up, much help would be appreciated willing to send like 5 dollars via paypal if any1 can help me get it going

THANKS

u can save your money here, people actually help for free :eek:
make sure that you have enabled "line in" for recording on your soundcard, also check that phantom power is turned on, the gain is up on the mic pre, the channels fader is up, also the output on line one is up. Also if theres two soundcards connected to your pc (wild guess :) ) then make sure cool edit is being told to record from the correct one.
try them and then get back to us :cool:

What output are you using on the mixer again? The main outs? Control Room out? The CR outs usually have a different level control than the mains. I'd double check which output that cable is on- I'd use the main outs because they are directly connected to you meters (usually.)

Also, double check your settings in windows to make sure its set to listen to the line input. Open up window's mixer (it in accessories somewhere, I think) and look at your recording section. It should be set to line input in order to work.

Hmmm... what kind of cable are you using between the mixer and the computer? That might be a problem as well.

Those are my first thoughts.

-Chris

i would also check to make sure that your external soundcard is selected as the recording device. Dont know how to do it in CE, but someone in the cool edit pro forum does.

i appreciate every1s help, it picks it up when i put it in the main out but i can only put it in the L. do they have a connector or something cuz my soundcard only has 1 input. Also i am getting a lot of feedback is there any specific levels i need to put stuff at.

yea thats what i need, now i need to figure out how to get the backround track playing threw the booth headphones, and where to hook up the headphones for the engineer to wear, also how to set my levels so i dont get any backround noise

thanks every1

I have a very similar set up to yours, and mine works perfectly, here's what I use:

MX602A mixer (older version of yours)

I use channel 1 for the mic (Marshall MXL 2003 condenser) with phantom power. Also, I think you have to use an XLR cable for this

I use channel 2 for guitar with a standard patch cord

then my mixer is hooked up to the computer via RCA cables (the red and white ones, like on TVs, VCRs etc.) from L and R "tape out" to the computer. The cable I use has the L and R RCA on one end, and on the other end is a standard 1/8" jack which fits into the LINE in (NOT MIC IN) of your PC. This cable was picked up at Radio Shack.

Like others have mentioned before, you need to connect into the LINE IN on your PC, so make sure your computer is set up for line in recording, and not mic in.

That works for me, so hopefully it helps

Back