What mixer do you have and which do you love?

Which one do you Own?

• Total voters
Mackie 1640 w/ firewire and my I.T. guy at werk has a son that is into recording so I'm gettin him to put a tower together fer me!!!:D

Oh, BTW...I can't seem to find a console for a 1640 so's I best build my own.
Got a nice wide plank of quilt maple that ain't quite guitar building grade. :D

I got a BOSS set o' tools!!!LOL!!!

I love my Amek Tac Scorpion (24x16). It works really well in my 16 track analog set up. All modular and I have collected a ton of spare parts. Now if I could I'd love a Trident 80B but that's not going to happen anytime soon!

I got a couple:

Yamaha 01V which is just used as an over complicated monitoring station

Chilton CM-2 A beautiful old English Broadcast desk, Originally made for the BBC I believe, after they stopped ordering them from neve. So you can tell what sort of quality they are: fully modular, 10 channels: 4 stereo line modules and 6 mic/line modules with eq. Mostly use it for tracking at the moment (direct outs) The preamps are absolutely amazing and the eq s great too.

Trident Fleximix: 6Ch chassis with monitor and mains. Really nice preamps, bit more coloured and eq to match. Again using it for tracking, for a different vibe.

I paid about 200 quid for the chilton, and about 300 for the trident. 500 quid (gbp) for 12 awesome mic preamps and eq. Best way to buy decent preamps. I need to find a way to use them to their best ability. I hear that summing on the chilton is good

long

I have a Behringer MX2004 from the 90's that a friend gave me. I used this desk for quite a while before I got my RNP's, with no complaints. Still works fine as well. I recorded a number of projects with it and got great results and nice compliments and reviews.

This desk has got the same discrete preamps as the MX8000 desk used to have, which I find a lot better than the pre's in the newer Behringer ones. The pre's in my desk are definitely on par with another friend's old Mackie 8-bus. It also feels nice and solid with minimal noise - no more than my RNPs.

I now use the desk to extend my front-end when I need more channels for things like drums. The RNP's were definitely a step up. I'm not sure if I'd get a mixer again if this one eventually crapped out (which doesn't seem to be anytime soon). I might just go with 8 channels of good outboard pre's.

I have a Tascam 320B. I re-capped it totally and changed some of the opamps in a few channels. I really like this mixer a lot. Noise floor is just a bit more than what I'd like but not that it's a problem. It sounds really nice and doesn't get in the way at all, great for analog summing of mixes with my Lucid converters. I'd love to build an external power supply for it, I think it would improve it more. Looks great and the faders are smooth too.

I just recently got my first mixer but boy what a difference it's made and it's only been 1 day. I have been using an old cassette tascam 4 track as my mixer but just upped to a little 6 channel peavey (pv6) mixer and I really like it. and it's so much quieter that the 4 track.

Size is the big reason i got it. I'm in a pretty cramped space and it sits on top of my comptuer tower and I can build up and tear down pretty easy.

I have a 40 channel DDA forum. A few of the channels don't work so well, but I still have plenty more to choose from. What I'd really like is one of those SSL Matrix Analogue Daw Mixers....

Akai DPS24. No computer.....yet.

The original or the MKII?

I have a DPS16 that I use all the time for gigging. It was designed just before firewire came into vogue. Sometimes I think I could drop that thing off the back of a truck and it would still fire up. Built like a tank and the preamps still sound good. And I've finally gotten pretty good at moving eight tracks directly to my DAW if I want.

How do you like the DPS24?

Back on topic - I have a handful of journeyman mixers - a couple small Behringers, a little Peavey, a Mackie CFX12 and a Mackie Onyx 1640 with a firewire card.

The little mixers do utility work; one is serving as a monitor patch bay and one I carry with my live rig as a low pass filter and patchbay when I'm using big subwoofers. Handy little suckers - once I had a drummer who wanted to use his own mic rig but it would have overloaded my available channels. The Peavey made a nice live submixer and he could control his own monitors. Stuff like that.

The Onyx 1640 is like nothing I've ever used before - it rocks. Very very clean and controllable in a live gig and it makes a hell of a nice front end for my recording rig - 16 channels of firewire. I'm a happy camper.

The CFX12 is a very competent live mixer for smaller gigs and is tough as nails. Never had a problem with it, although it does not sound like an Onyx.

I have this
534925.jpg

But fixing to downsize to this
p42002.jpg

the A&H is too much mixer for my needs, I have never used more than14 channels at any one time and this little Phonic console, my Preamps, patch bay, CPU, Wireless IEM's and power strip will all fit into one rolling rack which will make for one sweet Portable unit.

I will still use the A&H for the main sound and rent it out for shows but this little Phonic will be my recording and monitor mixer.

I have this
But fixing to downsize to this
the A&H is too much mixer for my needs, I have never used more than14 channels at any one time and this little Phonic console, my Preamps, patch bay, CPU, Wireless IEM's and power strip will all fit into one rolling rack which will make for one sweet Portable unit.

I will still use the A&H for the main sound and rent it out for shows but this little Phonic will be my recording and monitor mixer.

I did the same thing many moons ago, downgrading from a great board to a smaller more reliable, yet lower end board. As long as you have good outboard mic pres you will be fine, don't be like me at the time, thinking that they will not make that big of a difference. :(

(I have since fixed my blunder.)​

I did the same thing many moons ago, downgrading from a great board to a smaller more reliable, yet lower end board. As long as you have good outboard mic pres you will be fine, don't be like me at the time, thinking that they will not make that big of a difference. :(

(I have since fixed my blunder.)​

I will still use the A&H for the main mix
the Phonic will be used as a wireless in ear monitoring system and recording interface.
when recording we can use the iem system for
track monitoring instead of having a bunch of headphone cables routed to a headphone amp.

Hmmm...what do we have...

Peavey PV6. Supposedly a 6-channel mixer. I HATE companies calling a stereo channel 2 channels. A 6-channel mixer SHOULD have 6 XLR mic inputs. :mad: I used this for a couple of mini-projects at home but decided I needed to step up to something with USB in to overcome the crap line-in on my computer. Now I use it as phantom power and preamp for the Behringer B-2 we're taping with at the church.

Altec 1214 Control Console - 7 channels (6 real + a tape channel)...I was using this for our prison ministry, but it keeps THUMPING...like a heartbeat or something. I've tried polarity reversing and all manner of stuff, with no success.

Yamaha MW12 - Again, not really 12 channels. 6 XLRs, 2 of which share channel strips with a stereo input pair. I use this for my drum mix right now, as well as computer recording at the church...route the PV6 into one of the stereo pairs and I can have the drums in the mix, even though we don't mic them live.

no-name (that I can tell) "20 into 8" mixer. Got this as part of a package deal with the Ramsa below. Near as I can tell, this was designed for monitoring and recording. No channel sliders, but 20 XLR inputs routable into 8 busses.

The big dog is this one: Ramsa 24-channel with meter bridge. Mostly a live mixer, but I'd LOVE to use it in the studio, if I can get the channels cleaned up. It's a great sounding board, but it needs some work right now...

The one of these that I "love"..if you can truly love a mixer...is the MW12. Highly versatile...i've used it for track recording, live sound, as a drum submix...etc etc...the possibilities are endless. :D

Last edited:
Back