What mixer do you have and which do you love?

Which one do you Own?

• Total voters
I have a
taAXSkVtBaJ8Tj8CXWIqPA==.jpg

and a
vestaxPMC05PROIII.jpg

And a
tascam_us_428.jpg

I upgraded from my A&H board to a CAD Maxcon II maybe a year and a half ago. Started out with 16 channels in a 19" rackmountable frame and got a bigger frame and 8 more line/tape channels last summer. It sounds great but could use some cleaning up. Still, it works as a great front end to my HD24. I dump into Logic then and mix using the board to monitor on the 2-mix return. I want to get a Mytek DAC to upgrade that signal chain eventually.

maxcon.jpg

Hmmm...what do we have...

Peavey PV6. Supposedly a 6-channel mixer. I HATE companies calling a stereo channel 2 channels. A 6-channel mixer SHOULD have 6 XLR mic inputs. :mad: I used this for a couple of mini-projects at home but decided I needed to step up to something with USB in to overcome the crap line-in on my computer. Now I use it as phantom power and preamp for the Behringer B-2 we're taping with at the church.

Altec 1214 Control Console - 7 channels (6 real + a tape channel)...I was using this for our prison ministry, but it keeps THUMPING...like a heartbeat or something. I've tried polarity reversing and all manner of stuff, with no success.

Yamaha MW12 - Again, not really 12 channels. 6 XLRs, 2 of which share channel strips with a stereo input pair. I use this for my drum mix right now, as well as computer recording at the church...route the PV6 into one of the stereo pairs and I can have the drums in the mix, even though we don't mic them live.

no-name (that I can tell) "20 into 8" mixer. Got this as part of a package deal with the Ramsa below. Near as I can tell, this was designed for monitoring and recording. No channel sliders, but 20 XLR inputs routable into 8 busses.

The big dog is this one: Ramsa 24-channel with meter bridge. Mostly a live mixer, but I'd LOVE to use it in the studio, if I can get the channels cleaned up. It's a great sounding board, but it needs some work right now...

The one of these that I "love"..if you can truly love a mixer...is the MW12. Highly versatile...i've used it for track recording, live sound, as a drum submix...etc etc...the possibilities are endless. :D

Soundcrafts new M series does exactly that! The M4 has 4 mic inputs. Plus 4 setero channels. M12? 12 mic inputs plus 4 stereo channels. I hate it when they use that marketing crap too.

Mackie VLZ3 802.

I am loving my Mackie VLZ 802 compact mixer and my second favorite is the behringer 802 compact mixer.

They both work well witht he RCF 310-A
Dave

I know it only has four channels, and it is considered a dj/battle mixer, but my Pioneer DJM-800 is one of the best pieces of equipment I've invested in! If you haven't seen it yet, you definitely should!

I have sold the Behringer DDX3216 :) and now use a Imagimotion MixBuss as my main mixer (summer). I built a a passive summing mixer I can use with any of my mic pres to get a little different flavor. I use JL Cooper MixMaster for a sub-mixer and Mackie LM3204 for monitoring.

Well I am happy with my setup (I don't have much but I love what I have) however I can only record two channels since I own the Delta 44 sound card.

I'm actually looking into getting a delta 44. Are they good for low-latency?
but in answer to the original question I have a Seck 18:8:2 mixer. It has 18 channels and 8 buses and i absolutely love it. It gets the most crystal clear sound I've ever heard yet is not as harsh as some old mixers I've used. Take note this is from the 80's and they are hard to get your hands on. But i got mine for £53(approx $100) and have never looked back

Mackie CFX12, but

I used to own an EV mixer for my keyboards, and liked it a lot. When it finally needed replacing, I "upgraded" to the Mackie CFX-12.

But I found out that the Mackie mixer, for all its bells and whistles, leaves me disappointed in one critical way - it's not as "loud" as my EV.

I guess what that means, is that the Mackies pres are not as good?

I would hook them up, side by side, and my EV produced way louder volume through my PA system at the same pot and slider positions compared to the Mackie.

I have to crank up the pots and sliders to compensate for the volume I used to get from lower positions on my EV.

Three Yamaha DMP11's, but they won't be around for much longer...

I've loved these things. I bought them about 1990 ($4,500 total) when I was using an Atari 1040ST and an Otari MX5050 8 track. The bass was killer - tight and fat.

With MIDI, I had all my mixes automated with the DMP11's, each one accepts 167 controller changes, and all of that works like a charm. Every track was being muted when not in use. It was like 20 guys on the console. In 1990 that was pretty cool. Three other studios here took my setup and made studios based on it. Those are really incredible tools, but they are also 16 /44.1 machines and that's the problem.

I really wish I could find the same thing in a 24/96 unit. The closest thing I've found is a Yamaha OX1, or just forget it and make my own passive unit and let my Finalizer do the make up gain.

I'm used to total scene recall and I couldn't go back to knobs and masking tape!

Mackie ONYX 1640 w/ FireWire card installed.

I've had it for about 5 years now--it's reliable, versatile and sounds great.

Really, most boards I've mixed on have been Mackie. I'd like the opportunity to work with some other stuff to make a more fair comparison.

Update: have been using my homemade mixer for a few weeks now and it works great.

Have an Allen & Heath Zed24. Really nice sound quality. NO noise! :D But got my eyes open for Toft the last week, they look awesome, and really sound nice as well. But can't find them anywhere in my country. Should take a look on eBay. But it'll be at least some years before I upgrade from my A&H. Love it!

*edited*

Found Toft mixers in my country. They sell the 24 channel for the same price as Streetwear sell the 32 channel. Wierd:|

Last edited:
Have an Allen & Heath Zed24. Really nice sound quality. NO noise! :D But got my eyes open for Toft the last week, they look awesome, and really sound nice as well. But can't find them anywhere in my country. Should take a look on eBay. But it'll be at least some years before I upgrade from my A&H. Love it!

*edited*

Found Toft mixers in my country. They sell the 24 channel for the same price as Streetwear sell the 32 channel. Wierd:|

Are they the same model?

:cool:

Yup. The same ATB-Xa ver 2.1. The ATB24 is for (calculated from NKR to USD) 9500$ USD. And on Sweetwater the ATB32 for 7749$ USD. The best economic choice for me (for all sound equipment, since it's so over-expensive in Norway) is to buy stuff on the internet, ship them to some friends in the country and then bring it back home myself. Then take it to customs and get some paper, return to the shop. And then I will get refund the tax. Sick world, hehe.

Months ago I voted TASCAM but never replied to the thread.

I've been using TASCAM M-1516 for about the last ten years. It has served me well with no problems. But it's time to move to a larger desk.

I had a deal struck with a guy for a TASCAM M-2524 which I've wanted since they were introduced, and the guy sold it out from under me. Not the greatest news I've ever received.

I bought, today, a...I can't believe I'm even saying this, a Behringer SX4882.

On the plus side, I can't find anyone saying anything bad on the internet about this desk. And it's new, and it has a warrantee, and 45 days to return it if I don't like it.

On the down side, it's not a vintage TASCAM. Or a Ghost, or even a Mackie. Just a copy of a Mackie.

Yup. The same ATB-Xa ver 2.1. The ATB24 is for (calculated from NKR to USD) 9500$ USD. And on Sweetwater the ATB32 for 7749$ USD. The best economic choice for me (for all sound equipment, since it's so over-expensive in Norway) is to buy stuff on the internet, ship them to some friends in the country and then bring it back home myself. Then take it to customs and get some paper, return to the shop. And then I will get refund the tax. Sick world, hehe.

I think I understand. :confused:
What do you mean when you say *ship to some friends in the country*?
Do you mean in Norway -in the country- as to say not in the city?

:cool:

Back