what is every one using to lay down drum tracks

draynes

I was wondering what everyone is using to lay down electronic drum tracks? IE Drum Machine, Control surface with what kind of software, or electronic drum set.

I use actual drums. Audix D6 on bass drum, Sure SM-57 on snare, 3 audix ADX-90's (1 on each tom) Nuemann KM-184 overhead, Sure SM-58 overhead
Mackie 1604 VLZ---Alesis ADAT---Digi 002----Pro Tools

You will read a lot of negative reviews of mics that mount on the rim of the drum like my ADX-90's do, but I have had zero problems and they sound fine in my opinion. I did a direct comparison to using all 57's on independant stands and I found the ADX-90's to be comparable in sound and cheaper in price.

Roland VDrum TD-3 for "live" drumming to stereo audio and a MIDI track, Session Drummer or manual edits on MIDI into TTS-1 or LiveSynth Pro with variety of soundfont drum kits. Sometimes other drum synths, or Crystal for percussion.

Monkey Allen said:
I have a snare drum under my bed, some egg shaped shakers, a tambourine and that's about it

I've been using the same approach a lot lately. I used a drum machine in the 80s and early 90s and I switched to loops (mostly Drums on Demand) and software-based editing (Live) in the last couple of years. But there is nothing quite like the sound of real drums and the intimacy that you get from a limited kit (I have a snare and some hi hats). You also get experience learning about micing real drums. Now it doesn't work with all kinds of music but minimalist arrangments sound great. And if you are in to doing the old Violent Femmes/Flat Duo Jets thing, small kits are crucial.

I use the discrete drums on the Boss 1600CDR with either preset or programmable patterns. I also use a Boss DR55O and a Zoom 234.

I use a Roland vPro kit with TD20 brain. I run 8 direct outs from the TD20 into a Tascam DM3200 mixer which interfaces via TDIF into MOTU 2408Mk3 then Sonar 5 producer. I usually record a scratch guitar track to a metronome, then play the drums to it (all 8 tracks at atime). I also can record midi from the TD20 and use Battery samples etc. but prefer the V's.

draynes said:
I was wondering what everyone is using to lay down electronic drum tracks? IE Drum Machine, Control surface with what kind of software, or electronic drum set.

Boss Dr ...desktop. 4track sequencer. had it for years and can actually get around on it easily. Kick and Snare- metronome track.

Also have a Yammie E set with sticks, that $999 one. Its fun and great for withstanding kids and beating the hell out of it...the rubber pads much more rugged than the other type. Not as good sounding but very HR friendly...and headphone applys. used ~4-500.

my Tascam2488 has a drum thing in it, never used that yet.

Wow i guess i'm solo on soundfonts?Check this out,

I programmed my whole layer of kicks,snares and hats just for the drums.I can asign midi tracks to seperate layers,and export them seperately. :)

I don't like drum machines so I use loops that have been created by real drummers on acoustic drums.

Pinachi said:
Wow i guess i'm solo on soundfonts?Check this out,

I programmed my whole layer of kicks,snares and hats just for the drums.I can asign midi tracks to seperate layers,and export them seperately. :)

Hey Pinachi,

Has the Dork found his way home from Albuquerque yet? :D

A combination of Kontakt, Intakt, Battery and Kurzweil K2600 playing single samples or ReCycled breaks or a combination. They're either played by hand live, or using step entry, or programmed in the Cubase Drum Editor.

For full drumkit samples I really like NSKIT (specially considering the price). But since these are recorded raw, they require quite a bit of processing (EQ, compression, etc.) to sit right.

i use the drum machine in Reason with drum samples from Beta Monkey. gets the job done i guess until i get me a real drum set.

Back