What happened to developing a style?

92_

I don't get it...why would anyone want to classify their beats as a Dre beat? Storch beat? Kanye beat? Rza beat? to name a few...
What happened to getting to grips with your own equipment and developing a style that's just yours!? I admit, it's difficult to make something that's totaly yours in terms of sound, but heck...it ain't impossible...throw your hats through some FX, roll off some freqs from the snare, max out the Q's on your EQ and slice through some freqs on your bassdrum, darn it, boost some low mids in it while you're at it...just do something everybody's NOT doing...
OK, so you made a beat that sounds kinda Dre-ish...but it ain't no mf dre banger now is it? There's only one guy that makes Dre bangers, and ya'll know who that is...(Technically there's not just ONE guy either, but that's a whole other "angry man speaks" topic, that I'll save for a rainy day)
Would you want people to go around saying stuff like: "Man, that "insert name here"'s shit is off the hook, it sound just like Kanye...?
Sooner or later you're gonna end up in the vicinity of someone like me that says: Yeah, I've heard his shit...he's good at something...He's good at emulating...but I ain't never heard any of "his" shit...I don't know if it's bangin...
I ain't flawless, I've got shit in my shelf with my name on it that has some resembles to other producers...but hey it ain't no mf Storch, Dre, Kanye, RZA, Timbo, Al shit...cause I ain't them...Think about it...Still Dre...Dre's beat ain't it? But in this day and age he should really post that beat on a forum and say: "Check my shit out, It's a real Storch Banger!"...cause that's exactly what it is ain't?

I make beats, I'm good at it, Fuck...being modest ain't never got anyone nowhere...I don't make Timbo, Al, Dre shit...naw...I make 100%
Nito Bangers!

-Nito

LOL..I feel what you saying..but you know where it come from...it come from people wanting to get notice..so they feel if the say they have a beat like so and so it will get them noticed to get a placement..some do some dont..

i know i dont sound like anyone..causae i dont try and sound like anybody but myself..if i get placements good..if not..its not the end of the world(yet)..its just a matter of time when someone will take noticed..

keep being original and by yourself..soon someone will say Check the beat Like(insert name here)..

Damn! I feel like I just landed on a new planet and you're the only human there for me to relate to hehe I want to get some form of notice...but not cause I make beats that sounds like someone else...that's just wack

just keep grindin..network..collaborate..give out free beats..and you will start makin a name and more artist will come..

thats my motto at least..LOL

i feel what u sayin on this to...... but at the same time it aint bad to have ideals and cats u look up to either......... i have them myself especially when it comes to making beats i find myself all the time tryin to makea track that sounds like this track or that track(mostly cause im just starting with production and i gotta learn some tricks of the trade) but yea a lot of people are still looking for there identity musically theres nothin wrong with that........ as a lyricist i know who i am but not yet as a producer

Funny thing that free beats thing...It's like seeds and birds man. If you throw them out there...verbalists comes in likes birds to seeds...and like birds to seeds they (seldom) appreciate the work they're given...ungratfull bastards...but then again...The ones who are gratefull makes it worh it in the end.

Ain't nothing wrong with trying to learn the tricks of the trade. If you try to replicate other beats you can learn a whole lot. Just keep them beats to yourself. No one wants another Dre or Timbo. They want fresh stuff. For added security, bin the beats after you've learned a few tricks whilst making them.

-Nito

Well...

Hi Tek said:
“If you don't know your past, you can't know your future. That is what got me to where I am today, knowing what the artists did what and why. I tell up-and-coming guys to listen to their favorite producers — there ain't nothing wrong with being inspired by a person and then trying to imitate what they do. Even if you copy their sound and it is wrong, that is how you get your own sound. Keep working at it, and battle yourself. Know your skills, and constantly compare your stuff to what is out there.”

I personally agree with what the 'Natti Beatsmith is saying.

there are so many rappers that request a certain type of sound.Thats why I think beat makers label their tracks that way.They say i want some of that lil jon, mannie fresh shit.Its not my thing personally but i do study everybodies technique and apply what i think sounds good to me.A lot of people tell me that i don't sound like anybody out here.Thats good to me but it also hurts me to people that are scared to take a chance.When the Neptunes first came out people wasn't feelin them.now Pharell can put out a mediocre beat and it'll go number one.People recognize the name.i hope to get to that status some day.Its like the same with Air Jordans.He can come out with the nastiest shoes you ever seen and sure enough you see people buy them being over charged and everything just to say they got the new jordans.Its the name.

I support the "learning from what you're doing" theory...and I to find myself from time to time replicating what others do. Cause I think it sounds good. I use it in my own beats/music whenever I feel it fits...but if I clash up some beat with an 808 kit and some hp synthsound with a catchy melody, it still won't be no lil john joint...it would probably be something that would fall in the same category though...but not the "lil john category", if anyone see what I getting at...

Here's the thing that many people fall flat out on they're ass about...
See, alot of the musicians out there today with some form of sound that immediately give you their "groove" (Like neps) has spent quite some time being ignored at some point...Just try to make a track like drop it like it's hot 5-10 years ago...that shit would not have flown back then...but they never gave up due to the scepticism from other people that didn't feel their music...but this is where it goes the wrong way today. Everybody wants to be liked, and loved for their music...so they make music that people allready like...they try to be someone that has allready gotten to the point where they broke the ice...be original people, try stuff that sounds weird and shit. It's hard to be original, but there's no use in trying to be "unoriginal" is it?

-Nito

So would you think this is corny?

To put a little trademark riff on you tracks.....Sort of like an artists signature on his artwork, you know it's an original by him! My boy suggested that to me, because I was doing that unintentional. All of my beats has the same little organ riff at some point of the song, even though the beats concept is different. (Sort of like my signature!) If you're just listening to a beat, then you hear that familiar riff, you can say Trizz did that!
Not to get off the subject a bit, but I think it is relevant to having your own flavor and developing your own style........
What do you guys think about that?

YES! it's relevant! do your thing like you do, just shoot me the day someone makes a just blaze intro which ends with....."just me" instead of Just blaze....do your own thing, good work man

Actually... There's about 20-25 camps with like a whole bunch of people in each that make Dre beats lol. I do it all, I got my own style of beats, but also, in this industry, you want to be versitile, you want to be able to create a Eminem beat, or a Kanye beat, shit even Kanye doesn't make his own beats most of the time, they are made by my teacher lol. Anyways, it's great to have your own original style, but imo, it's also great to be able to do anything and everything. What if say, Xzibit came up to you, and said, make me a banger, I'll pay you $5K right now... and your sitting there dumbfounded because your style is unique & original, and he wants his types, and you don't know how to make it, like how it would sound good for him. When your into making music for other people's records, and they are always potential buyers, it's sometimes good to be able to mimic their style on the beats you know? BUT being creative original & unique also is needed as your main thing, and then being able to create anything for anyone, would give you even more power.

92_ said:
I don't get it...why would anyone want to classify their beats as a Dre beat? Storch beat? Kanye beat? Rza beat? to name a few...
What happened to getting to grips with your own equipment and developing a style that's just yours!? I admit, it's difficult to make something that's totaly yours in terms of sound, but heck...it ain't impossible...throw your hats through some FX, roll off some freqs from the snare, max out the Q's on your EQ and slice through some freqs on your bassdrum, darn it, boost some low mids in it while you're at it...just do something everybody's NOT doing...
OK, so you made a beat that sounds kinda Dre-ish...but it ain't no mf dre banger now is it? There's only one guy that makes Dre bangers, and ya'll know who that is...(Technically there's not just ONE guy either, but that's a whole other "angry man speaks" topic, that I'll save for a rainy day)
Would you want people to go around saying stuff like: "Man, that "insert name here"'s shit is off the hook, it sound just like Kanye...?
Sooner or later you're gonna end up in the vicinity of someone like me that says: Yeah, I've heard his shit...he's good at something...He's good at emulating...but I ain't never heard any of "his" shit...I don't know if it's bangin...
I ain't flawless, I've got shit in my shelf with my name on it that has some resembles to other producers...but hey it ain't no mf Storch, Dre, Kanye, RZA, Timbo, Al shit...cause I ain't them...Think about it...Still Dre...Dre's beat ain't it? But in this day and age he should really post that beat on a forum and say: "Check my shit out, It's a real Storch Banger!"...cause that's exactly what it is ain't?

I make beats, I'm good at it, Fuck...being modest ain't never got anyone nowhere...I don't make Timbo, Al, Dre shit...naw...I make 100%
Nito Bangers!

-Nito

I agree with you man. I never liked how people classified their music under the name of somone els.

umm

Its like Reek said it is not just cause they wanna be like them its how the beat sounds. Everybody does not like everybodys work and when you come to a page or something you do not have time to listen to every track so in the description you may see a dre-sounding,scott storch sounding.....just to narrow the shit down. If you got a buzz where u live im sure somebody is going to comei n and ask hey do you got a beat like so and so.

Certain things are what they are.
my personal position on this is you can't copy forever your own manerism is going to grow from it. that's how i perfected my tags and drawing i copied others. except that i would never sign what wasn't mine.

To emulate is to appreciate, now with that said this is hip hop and we don't like bitters. so don't appreciate me lol
However to summarize the quote by Hitek above, copying is how we define an identity.
this kid heard from his friend that i will make a beat with the mc before he gets on the mic. (i rarely give up a beat that you heard when you come in the lab mainly because it belongs to someone else or me) so he comes and he's all excited because they told him he was going to co-produce( i use the term loosly trust me). anyway he came in and i asked him what was hot out there for him right now, he said 50 cent and the Game "this is how we do" i went on the internet probably hiphopgame.com to play the song and we listened i quickly got tired of the lyrics and asked him to spit on top of it. and he didn't help either as he was basically the same thing they were saying but he was freestyling so i let it go.
Ok to shorten this a bit i got on the triton and replicated the beat at leat whatever sounds were easily recognizable including the drums. thankfully the kid is a writer so i ask him to break out his bible and start writing that got him busy as i started added sounds to the instrumental and progressively i muted out the "originals" next thing you know we got ourselves a new beat with no remnant of G-unit. and also as the beat progressed his message changed he went from a high school kid with all the girls the lamborghini doors on his escalade to lyrically terrorising mc's from hallways to Thane's Lab.

with that said 9 out 10 if you tell me my beat sounds like so and so if i don't massively tweak it i will mark it never to be heard by anyone but me. and if i don't like that producer it's automatically erased.

i tried it with another beat and it didn't bite. oh well

just my 2 shining Lincoln

Back