What do you think of my voice/singing?

endlessrain

Hi there,

This is a song I recorded in the studio a few years back. I would love to hear your feedback/opinion on my singing, voice/tone and any tips for improvement. Thanks a lot!

YouTube

PS: By the way, I was not the regular singer in this band. This is the only song of the band where i am the lead singer. Thanks.

Mickster

Hey.....I don't hear any issues at all really. The tone is fine for the song....and many other kinds of songs as well. Timing and phrasing is very good and pitch is pretty much perfect. You can do lots of lead vocals IMO.

endlessrain

Hey.....I don't hear any issues at all really. The tone is fine for the song....and many other kinds of songs as well. Timing and phrasing is very good and pitch is pretty much perfect. You can do lots of lead vocals IMO.

Thanks Mickster for your feedback. I really appreciate it...One major problem that I have and would like to improve on is that while singing high notes, I tend to depend on distorting my voice in order to hit that note (or making the voice raspy). I wish I could hit those high notes smoothly without distorting the voice (especially in songs that require a smoother tone.)

Mickster

Sometimes you may need to resort to using a falsetto approach to a note or two.....as opposed to just forcing the note out. With some practice you can get that approach to work for you on notes that are just slightly above your range.

endlessrain

Sometimes you may need to resort to using a falsetto approach to a note or two.....as opposed to just forcing the note out. With some practice you can get that approach to work for you on notes that are just slightly above your range.

Thanks Mickster. The falsetto approach is definitely heard quite a bit in recordings these days and I think it's a great technique to learn (especially for those notes slightly above one's range, as you mentioned) Thanks for your suggestion!

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
One major problem that I have and would like to improve on is that while singing high notes, I tend to depend on distorting my voice in order to hit that note (or making the voice raspy). I wish I could hit those high notes smoothly without distorting the voice (especially in songs that require a smoother tone)
While I get what you mean and by all means do what you feel you need to do to improve your voice, I have to say I love your singing. It's a very good voice and the parts that go high have a great tone to them. You call it distortion and maybe it is but I couldn't catch any distortion. It has a nice electric quality to it.
I really like the song too. I like that it's a pop~rock treatment but sung in Nepali {I work in a school in London and a few of the children are from Nepal} as I'm no stranger to songs in different languages. I got used to songs not being in English in the 80s and 90s as I'd listen to music by Brazilians {Portuguese} and other South Americans {Spanish} and Celtic folk and folk~rock {Gaelic} as well as African stuff my Dad listened to when I was a kid and teen, not to mention various songs we'd learn in French at school and bits of singing I'd hear on Indian stuff which I didn't like at first but have grown to appreciate.
Your band is actually quite fortunate to have you as a vocalist. You should sing more, while you still can.

endlessrain

While I get what you mean and by all means do what you feel you need to do to improve your voice, I have to say I love your singing. It's a very good voice and the parts that go high have a great tone to them. You call it distortion and maybe it is but I couldn't catch any distortion. It has a nice electric quality to it.
I really like the song too. I like that it's a pop~rock treatment but sung in Nepali {I work in a school in London and a few of the children are from Nepal} as I'm no stranger to songs in different languages. I got used to songs not being in English in the 80s and 90s as I'd listen to music by Brazilians {Portuguese} and other South Americans {Spanish} and Celtic folk and folk~rock {Gaelic} as well as African stuff my Dad listened to when I was a kid and teen, not to mention various songs we'd learn in French at school and bits of singing I'd hear on Indian stuff which I didn't like at first but have grown to appreciate.
Your band is actually quite fortunate to have you as a vocalist. You should sing more, while you still can.

Thanks grimtraveller for your encouraging words. I really appreciate it...It motivates me to work on my singing more and possibly create more original songs in the future!

I listen to lots of songs in different languages as well. Also, since I'm a big fan of instrumental music, it allows me to explore a even wider variety of music from around the world (since understanding the words doesn't come into the equation in instrumental music)...Maybe listening to songs in different languages is also beneficial in further developing one's originality as a songwriter? Thanks again!