• electric

Votes: 51 32.7%
  • acoustic

Votes: 92 59.0%
  • death to ALL diseased monkeys....

Votes: 13 8.3%

• Total voters
A Gibson Les Paul Custom...

was NOT my first guitar! No, I started out on a Crestwood Strat copy with really high action, graduating to a bottom of the line Epiphone acoustic with real high action. I gave the Epi to my brother in law, but still have the Crestwood (although I don't play it anymore). There is something to be said for high action guitars when starting out. Play those for a few years, then pick up a Les Paul (with low action) and you'd be amazed at how fast you can play.;)

Started with a Squire Strat when I was 13. Upgraded to a US Fender Strat when I was 15 and it's still my only 6 string electric.

I had some sort of old beater acoustic.

My first electric was a Kramer...gosh can't remember the model. It had a Floyd Rose and never stayed in tune. I returned after a few weeks, and got a Yamaha SE 350. Wish I had that guitar. I loved it.

My older brother, being short of cash, sold me his Aria 12 string acoustic for $50.00 in May, 1974. He told me A) don't use 12 strings; it is too difficult; and B) don't let callouses build up, because you want to feel the strings.

Methinks he wanted me to give up so he could re-claim the guitar. Didn't happen.

For my birthday in 1975, I got an Espana semi-acoustic and a cheap tube amp for $115.00, for both. The amp kept shocking me.

Started on an aria acoustic that belonged to my mother, moved onto an ibanez starter strat style HSS guitar.

They were both junk.

I started with a shortneck electric bass. Looked like a strat copy guitar, with a very short bass on it. How I started is kinda funny...

in high school, I and three friends who were in the marching band decided that "to get chicks" we needed to increase our popularity. ...

Thanks for letting me share... brought back some nice memories.

Great story, fred!

The first guitar I actually learned to play was a Vantage electric that I bought myself, but my first actual guitar was a Yamaha acoustic that my dad gave me when I was about 6 years old. After a couple years the low E tuning peg broke. At the time I didn't even know you could just go out and buy new strings, let alone parts. So I ended up throwing the guitar away. I found that I couldn't stand not having a guitar, so that's why I bought the electric later on.

A Stella small bodied acoustic. Around 1962. Then I got a nylon stringed classical. Soon after that I discovered bass and bought a St. George which was a Japanese copy of a early P-bass. It had a great neck and a real harmonic pick-up on it. The amp was built by one of my Dad's engineering buddys. It was supposed to be a Bassman clone but almost 100 watts. It had a 2-12 cabinet with some unearthly speakers called Altec Lansing in it. This was 1965. I banged around with my guitar buddies and we got a drummer out of the Jr. High marching band and played our first gig when I was 14. We got paid $27 each! We knew a bunch of Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, Mannfred Mann, Kinks, and The Animals. We had a keyboard player with a Vox Super-Continental with a LESLIE!! This was 1967. After that its been a string of instruments all of which I wish I still had. Especially the 1961 Jazz Bass. Stolen. BTW, I know who took it and I'm still pissed.....just in case you're reading this.

Started of on some no name student acoustic loaner from school. Yes I was lucky enough to goto a grade school that had guitar classes. Did that 5th,6th, 7th & 8th grade. Didn't get to play much during the summer until my gramps gave me an old beater Gibson from the early 70's when I was in 6th or 7th grade. Then in 9th grade I bought a Silvertone electric, an original Crate amp that the cabinet was actually a wooden crate, and a DOD American Metal Pedal, bought it all for $60.00.

Strarted with squire strat, but used to travel around lot and would take my dads nylon string with the bowed neck so got in a lot of practice learning to play metallica tunes on that. That thing was hard as hell to play metallica on, the action was way high, but it strengthened my hands up some.

An alvarez classical guitar. Close to a 3 inch wide neck, I built of finger strength pretty quick on that thing lol

Back