What did you have for dinner tonight?

I came to Belfast mid November. In the theatre I have a microwave. I have had one, sometimes two, Tesco microwave curry everyday They do three kinds - one I don't like, so every day, 6 days a week, doing 12 hour days, I have had the same thing. One day I had a Chinese as a change. I went back to the Indian curries next day. Today is show 66 so I reckon 45, maybe 50 have been eaten. Not very good really.

Man, I want to like curry so bad. Have to say the smell kind of puts me off. I've mentioned this before, as a kid my mom on rare occasion made a curry i liked...brothers hated it. Reality i'm sure it was far from a proper curry. I'd like to possibly give curry a go at a takeout or something, but I might choose the wrong takeout and it would put me off curry forever. Damned if you do, damned if you don't dilemma.

My nephew gave me a bottle of Tattoo brand Scotch Bonnet Curry hot sauce. I sample it here and there, but still not sure what to do with it. It definitely has that curry type taste, which pretty much puts it in the one trick pony category.

Me too..but 'The Chicken Basket' doesn't do breakfast no more.

AAawwe man, you get the toast with butter, all in the gravy, smear it around in the yoke. Yumm.

You don't need butter if you got gravy, noob.

On the same note, sometimes I keep my mouth shut and be happy someone is cooking me something to eat. But if you're serving me runny eggs don't go putting butter on my toast! I'll be sopping the runny egg yoke with that toast, dry toast pleeeeease. Actually I want one dry toast, and one with real butter and blackberry all fruit spread. I'm good with sausage or bacon, sliced tomato w/ salt and pepper is a nice touch. The acid cuts to richness and cleanses the palate.

I got strawberry waffles every Sunday..

Sausage gravy on buttered Greek toast? That's a 'fopaux'?

My toast can be fortified with a layer butter before it enters the fray of thickness.

Last edited:
Yesterday @5:15 PM we had leftover Christmas ham, some kind of white beans, of which I only ate a little bit due to the carbs, some Jicama sticks, a little bit of apple sauce with plain cinnamon and leftover Christmas cabbage, then a slice of sugar free, no-flour lemon cake.
Haven't eaten since but for some black coffee.
Waiting for the snow to start.

Pushing the safety limit on leftover Christmas ham there slick. Maybe.

Last week I boiled/simmered the Christmas ham bone for a while, then used the broth to make 10 bean soup. Store bought kit, so to speak. I debated on whether or not to do it, add the included seasoning packet, but damn the torpedoes dumped it on in. Cooked them damn beans for about 3 1/2 hours, made cornbread, and was damn ready to eat. It was like eating sea water, except maybe a tad saltier. I added water and 2 cans of Great Northern Beans, still inedible. I guess the combo of the salt from the ham and the salt in the seasoning packet pushed it past the limit. The cornbread was good but man I was disappointed. Trashed them. I roughed it by eating a slice of cornbread followed by a slice of Boston Cream Pie/Cake. I man gotta do what a man gotta do.

There's white stuff falling from the sky, so the menu tonight is chili. I put a pot on and included a whole ghost pepper. It seemed to be a pretty potent one... I always tap a finger tip (gloved of course) in the the juice left behind after chopping it up and touch my tongue. WOOOW! I could still taste the burn 15 minutes later.

I crushed some stale tortilla chips and tossed them out for the birds. They're enjoying them. A chippie and a cardinal are picking through the snow right now.

There's white stuff falling from the sky, so the menu tonight is chili. I put a pot on and included a whole ghost pepper. It seemed to be a pretty potent one... I always tap a finger tip (gloved of course) in the the juice left behind after chopping it up and touch my tongue. WOOOW! I could still taste the burn 15 minutes later.

I crushed some stale tortilla chips and tossed them out for the birds. They're enjoying them. A chippie and a cardinal are picking through the snow right now.

How much snow do you have so far? You got beef in that there chili?

The area I'm in has about 2 inches. 60 miles south they have about 6 - 8 inches. Its cold enough that I could use my push broom to clean off the driveway rather than the shovel. The crazies are out trying to drive, keeping the auto repair shops in business. Of course the city is undermanned due to covid problems, so only the main roads are getting cleaned. The real problem will be tonight when the temp drops down to about 10 degrees and stuff freezes up nicely.

As for the chili, I use 2lbs of ground beef, and 1lb of sausage. A can of tomato puree and a can of tomato sauce. An onion, some garlic, spices, and the pepper. NO BEANS!!!! Can't stand them. Mom said "you can't taste them...." Wrong. I would pick them out as a kid. Occasionally I would miss one and knew immediately.

Sometimes I'll put it over spaghetti, and top with cheddar, other times, I just put it in a bowl and grab some club crackers. It depends on my mood.

Beans are good for you............but not for those around you.

Try chili with mash potato instead of rice. Strangely very nice flavour.

Beans are good, and good for you. I used to not like kidney beans, too big. But sometimes now i'll add some to chili when I make it. Meaty beans. Have you ever tried cocoa powder in chili? Pure, unsweetened, of course. It adds a nice richness. Cocoa was used savory by ancient cultures before it was included in sweets. Still used in mole sauces. Can't say if it tipped the scale, but I suggested it to my wife's friend for a chili cook off competition and she won first prize. I think first prize was a bottle of Beano. *rim shot" Heyooo! :D

I don't mind kidney beans in my chili if there aren't too many. I mean, it's not friggin' bean soup fer chrissakes! An uncle turned me on to chili mac back around 1965, but I rarely made or ate it elsewhere.

I once told a woman co-worker about adding cocoa or chocolate to tomato sauce based dishes and she was thoroughly disgusted with that idea, swearing NObody does that!

I have added 72% dark chocolate to spaghetti sauce before and decided the slight flavoring didn't warrant the added expense. I get much more enjoyment outta eating dark chocolate by itself.

Besides my "bowl of red", I also make Cincinnati chili. For those of you not from the Ohio/Ky/In area, Gold Star and Skyline chili is very different from most styles of chili. You can buy the seasoning packets or use one of the copycat recipes online. The hamburger is boiled rather than browned, and it's got spices like cinnamon, allspice and cocoa. It has a sweeter taste, served over spaghetti, (3 way, 4 way or 5 way) with cheese, onions, or beans, with oyster crackers and a hot sauce. Its good on chili dogs as well.

Hamburger.................Thats a word we dont hear too often now over here. I remember as a young lad burgers were always called hamburgers and I remember the cartoons with a character called Wimpy in them. A man who lived on hamburgers.

Then we had Wimpy burger shops opening before McDonalds and they sold beefburgers not hamburgers. This I always found very confusing because ham in the UK is pork and not beef.

You could get hamburgers but they were sold in tins in some kind of liquid I think. Spam burgers:-) Gets even more confusing.

A common thing in chip shops when I was younger was Spam Fritters which is spam in batter and deep fried. When you bit into them the warm grease would flood out and run down your chin. Very coronary but lovely with salt and vinegar on them..

Besides my "bowl of red", I also make Cincinnati chili. For those of you not from the Ohio/Ky/In area, Gold Star and Skyline chili is very different from most styles of chili. You can buy the seasoning packets or use one of the copycat recipes online. The hamburger is boiled rather than browned, and it's got spices like cinnamon, allspice and cocoa. It has a sweeter taste, served over spaghetti, (3 way, 4 way or 5 way) with cheese, onions, or beans, with oyster crackers and a hot sauce. Its good on chili dogs as well.
I boil my ground beef for my spaghetti sauces. This method breaks the meat down to it's smallest parts - the size of BB's. It's great for chili dogs as it just slides right onto them when you're slapping them together for your customers. You don't have chunks of beef competing with the dog. Oh crap.. now I'm craving a chili dog..

Orson, you're right about the "hamburger", but supposedly it was because it came from the Hamburg region of Germany. At least that was the story I heard when I was young. It's just ground beef. Ham, of course, is from the hind quarter of the pig, either that shank or butt portion. Then you have Spam which is pork shoulder and ham ground pressed cooked, and canned.

The cartoon to which you refer is Popeye the Sailor. It has the character Wimpy who always promised to "Pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today". I think the show was a plot to make kids eat spinach, but I didn't fall for the ruse. I couldn't get the stuff close enough to my mouth without gagging from the smell. When I was a kid, I could tell when the lady across the street was making spinach or kale. The wretched smell was everywhere!

...The cartoon to which you refer is Popeye the Sailor. It has the character Wimpy who always promised to "Pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today". I think the show was a plot to make kids eat spinach, but I didn't fall for the ruse. I couldn't get the stuff close enough to my mouth without gagging from the smell. When I was a kid, I could tell when the lady across the street was making spinach or kale. The wretched smell was everywhere!
:LOL: My mom always tried to get me to eat spinach for dinner. She'd serve me early in the kitchen and go off, leaving me alone. I'd snatch that spinach off my plate and throw it behind the refrigerator. Couldn't throw it in the trash because I knew she'd look there first. I'm so ashamed.. :facepalm:

Now, I eat it almost every day with watercress, arugula, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce.. all cooked down into what looks EXACTLY like dear ol' mom's spinach - go figure.

Back